Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Convention Reporter Choo

 C:\Users\mike\Desktop\Fotor0608222628.png

Choo is a convention reporter for TheyearofHalloween.com and also writes for Superficialgallery.com.  Her love of the horror genre started at a young age which also led to her being grounded several times for sneaking into scary movies…She has covered several conventions over the years and has most recently started volunteering with The Walker Stalkers at their conventions (which just happens to be her favorite).

When she is not writing, being silly on social media (@Choofabulous) or  chasing down cool people to interview she likes to hang out with the guy she married, the two boys she birthed, and her two miniature dachshunds that think they are pitbulls. She calls Charlotte, NC her home….for now.



What do you like to do besides writing, reporting or interviewing?


I really like just hanging out. I spend a lot of time with my boys (11 and 5) and my husband. I have a few girlfriends I like to get together with and just complain about everything in general (kidding). I like to watch movies and just be a regular human. I am always looking for a new adventure.

How would you explain Walker Stalker Con to a first timer?


You are going to have the time of your life! Everyone is so approachable and kind and they make the experience like their first time as well. The celebrities are so appreciative of their fans and just really love to be there as well. I would tell them to pace themselves and try not to get overwhelmed, there is always someone on hand to guide you and help you get to where you need to go.

What's the most interesting thing that's happened to you at a convention?

I don’t even know where to begin with this one. There are so many interesting characters at conventions. The Cosplayers are incredible and like actors they rarely come out of character and some of them can be scary! I think one of the coolest things to happen was Bruce Campbell giving my husband and I marriage advice the day before we got married!

Do you ever get nervous when interviewing celebrities?

Nope! I look at it this way. They are people just like everyone else and what they do is the profession they have chosen to do. It would be like getting nervous before interviewing a plumber.  The editors for the sites I work for always ask me to try to get the interviews because they say I am not scared to ask anybody questions.  I think the only thing that really makes me nervous is if I don’t feel like I am familiar enough with their work to ask an educated question. I try to do a lot of research before I approach someone for an interview. I am not a big fan of the sound of crickets so I try to be on top of things.

What are the Walker Stalkers James & Eric like?

Those two guys are fantastic.  I am pretty sure the energizer bunny got his inspiration from THEM! I swear they must bleed coffee because they are always on. They want everyone to have a great time even if it costs them days without sleep. I worked with Eric pretty closely at the Chicago convention and I think we are both a tad OCD which served us well.  James never stops moving! I kind of think of him as the blur you see buzzing by and he always has great shoes ;)  They both just have this overwhelming desire to make people smile and help make memories for people who may not otherwise get the chance to participate in such events.  I am so happy I have gotten to know them pretty well over the past year.

Will you explain how your obsession with shoes started?

Hahaha! I think I need a therapist couch for this one. I have always loved shoes because of the variety available. My mom says that whenever it was time to go school shopping I always made a bee-line for the shoe department. Nothing makes you feel better than a new pair of shoes and as a female who struggled with body image issues…no matter how big the rest of you gets…your feet stay the same size! Obviously my favorites are Jimmy Choo, but I also love Manolo’s …neither of which I can afford..so my friends just started calling me Choo.

What's the best piece of advice you've ever gotten?

It’s sounds incredibly cliché but my husband telling me “Go for it, you only live once” really struck a nerve with me. The past year has been probably the most exciting one I have had in a long time. My kids are old enough that I can leave for a few days for a convention and not feel wrecked with guilt. This things that I do and the people I get to meet excites me. A lot of times my family is able to come along and my kids get to meet the people that they see on television and in the movies as well and they think that is really cool. I like to think that they see me doing what I love now in my 40’s and will not wait quite as long to pursue what they love.

Is there anything you'd like to add?


If there is anyone out there reading this that has never been to a convention add it to your bucket list. It is the one time that there is a room full of people with similar interests as yours and you may make some new friends out of it. I know I sure did!

No comments:

Post a Comment