Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Interview Margot Paez

Before you read the interview check out the video below. For more information about Margot's  film click here.  Check out Margot's production company Darn Box Productions.  Follow "The Young Vidals" on Twitter @theyoungvidals.







 

What is the current project you are working on?

We are currently in post-production for my first feature film, The Young Vidals and in I am in the writing stages of a few screenplays and a stage play. Although, not all at once.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

I have always been an actor. Filmmaking came out of my increasing interest in how films are made. I love performing and when we made The Young Vidals, I realized how much I loved the whole process that goes on behind the scenes. I have made short films, but this was something on a grander scale. I guess what I am saying is that I didn't always want to be a filmmaker, but my passion for film was just a natural extension of who I already was as a curious performer.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

I think just my interest and admiration for the film genre. I love movies and generally if I really like something I want to learn how to do it, and make more of that something. It becomes an obsession. Film can do so many things, affect people in so many different ways. Plus I love writing stories so filmmaking is just a way to make those stories a little more real.

What is the best thing about being one?

Best thing about being a filmmaker is being able to create something you can be proud of and something you can share. Something that can encapsulate a moment in time, a set of feelings, an idea. Once you have it, you can always come back to it and relive those moments, or re-interpret them, or whatever. It's there for as long as the medium is accessible and considering I can still watch movies from 1914, I'll have to say what you create as a filmmaker can be accessible well beyond your life span.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Funding. I say that with a laugh because money is necessary for anything. Raising funds to make your project a reality is a challenge but it's not impossible. Other than that, I can't really think of anything about it that's so bad. I guess I'm not too jaded yet!

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

As a filmmaker, I've worked on two short films before the Young Vidals. So three, I guess.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

Woody Allen is my big one. Charlie Chaplin, is another. I really have a longer list but those are the big ones, I guess. Ok, Buster Keaton...Mabel Normand...Sophia Coppola...Mel Brooks...Wes Anderson. I mostly love filmmakers who do everything, acting, writing, directing. Those are my favorites.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

It's definitely more creative than it has been in the past and I really love that. I think about movies differently, I think about writing differently. I try to observe the world more so I can see which elements I want to bring into my next story. I think I'm all around a happier person since I came out as filmmaker, so to speak.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Do your own thing. The world is changing and with technology so inexpensive and accessible, the internet and so on, you can really do anything. You can get attention even with the smallest of budgets. Just stick to your guns and as Woody Allen says, "If people don't like your work, keeping doing your own thing and either they'll wise up or you'll find yourself out of work and deserving to be. If people hate your work, let them-they might be right. Or not." I would also add, listen to what other people tell you. Take it all with a grain of salt, but learning to take criticism is going to be your biggest strength because people who can do that are the ones who can grow.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

I like to watch movies and read the news. I also read books, non-fiction mostly, and I enjoy being around friends.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Yes. freelancing as a web designer/developer. Although I did work for a specific company full-time for about a year called Acxiom Digital where I worked with fortune 500 companies on their email marketing campaign. Not particularly glamorous but it has helped me become more established as a freelancer.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

I love so many of Woody Allen's movies, of course everyone loves his masterpiece, Annie Hall. I love comedy silent films, especially those by Charlie Chaplin, Mabel Normand, and Buster Keaton. The Great Dictator by Charlie Chaplin is of course just a phenomenal piece of work. Buster Keaton's Go West is a favorite of mine. Anything that has Donald O'Connor is great also. I was a huge fan of Arrested Development and I try to follow Mitch Hurwitz's latest projects, otherwise, I like a lot of the dark humor stuff that comes out of Adult Swim. I am trying to get more into foreign cinema, Herzog...Polanski...Bergman.

How would you describe your film education?

Mostly self-taught. I read books and watch movies. I analyse what I see. Which is why my style for my first feature is very reminiscent of Woody Allen's. I read Eric Lax's extensive collection of interviews that covered Allen's whole process and approach to filmmaking, and watched as many of his films as I could. I really do love his approach and I tried to incorporate it, or use it as a foundation, for my own style. Anyway, as it is, I have a masters degree, so I figured out how to study and learn a long time ago, you don't need a classroom--not always.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Well I live between LA and NYC, although most of my film "scene" experience has been in LA. I think I am more involved with self-starters and new media types. I think it is important to try to find new ways to bring a film to the audience. The old model is dying fast. What is the new model? I'm not sure. We are in a situation similar to what Mozart found himself in. The court patronage was dying and private patronage was not yet a solid thing, which is how Beethoven lived. Mozart couldn't adapt and ended up in poverty. It's just a time of uncertainty but it is probably the best time to create a new world. So it's exciting.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

A lot I think. My problem is that I am a younger, greener filmmaker, so my first experience with putting something out there has been with social media already a common thing. Social networking is a great way to get your message across, a great way to raise funds, it's just great. The only problem is the potential for over-saturation, but that is likely for anything. I think the internet and the low cost of good equipment is what is really changing the scene. I think being a self-starter in this day in age couldn't be easier.

What's your opion on crowdfunding and recent crowdfunding scandals?

I am new to this sort of thing. At first I was hesitant because I didn't like the idea of taking money from my friends, but it has actually been a great thing--so far. We are trying to take the idea a few steps further than using indiegogo (we do in fact have a campaign with them). I have not heard about the scandals, the only big scandal I can think of is Bernie Madoff, but that was not crowd funding. I think there are just so many avenues for people to be taken advantage of, and "crowd funding" is just one other way. Just know who you are giving your money to, that's the best I can say, even though, that isn't a 100 percent guarantee, either.

What is the casting process like?

A lot of fun. I really enjoyed casting. You see so many different people with different ideas about the character they are coming in for. When you find the perfect person, you get so excited. It's very fulfilling. It can be a little gruesome, in terms of the amount of effort you have to put in, but it's very rewarding. I remember when we found our Augi (the youngest of the Vidal family). We knew he was the one from the moment he opened his mouth and started asking us questions. But it is also an empowering experience coming from my background as an actor, to be on the other side of the table.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

The idea of independent film (in my opinion) is that you should have more freedom of expression. You are not necessarily out to make millions of dollars, you are out there to make something very meaningful. Hollywood is out there to make money and lots of it. So you get a lot of formula, you get a lot of unnecessary explosions, and expensive cars. You get films in 3-D that are not particularly worth the effort. I enjoy people centric films. Which I guess is why I take to Woody Allen so. Woody Allen is even independent by most standards today. He doesn't work on huge budgets, but he had a great deal of devot backers, so he is quite lucky. However, I think even independent filmmaking has become co-opted by "mainstream" or Hollywood. Nowadays, a lot of indie films have big names or are produced by smaller arms of bigger studios. You hear a lot of, "well if you don't have a big name, don't talk to me" from aging film people. That is why I feel it is important to do your own thing and be intelligent about what you do. Because, you know, those people will eventually retire.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

Oh boy. Wow. So many choices. I would go back and watch a silent film being made, possibly. I wish I could have seen Chaplin in action. He did everything. He performed, he wrote, he directed, he produced, he scored his films. I want to see someone like that in action because that is what I strive to be. A jack of all trades filmmaker. I can compose, I can act, I can write and direct. So to be there, by his side, would be a dream. So maybe Modern Times or The Gold Rush. The Great Dictator would have been fantastic, but it is a talkie and I said silent.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

The end speech from The Great Dictator. I have it printed out and taped to one of the walls of my desk. This is the point in the film where Chaplin's character, the Jewish Barber, is confused for the dictator of the country, who is supposed to be Hitler. They tell him he must give a speech, so he does. His speech reminds us of what is good about humans, and how the evil that people do is not forever. That we should rise up against oppression and fight for our rights as human beings. It is funny that such a speech, from 1940, could still be so relevant today. So much of what he says, if not all, is true for today. In a way, its relevancy is magnificent, but in another way, it is tragic, because it reminds us that we have evolved very little as people. We still war, we still murder, we still oppress each other because we are superficially different. I long for the day that his message is irrelevant.

You could have any super power. What would it be?

I want to be able to transport myself instantly to different places in the world. I don't know what that is called outside of Star Trek's transporter room. It would make traveling so much easier.

What is your opinion on movie remakes?

Generally not a fan. Although sometimes it can be better than the original. The problem is that so many good films are remade just for the prospect of making a quick buck. True Grit was pretty good and so was Manchurian Candidate. But that's just a few out of so many bad ones.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

I think it is alright. It can often encourage people to read the book after they have seen the film, which is generally more fulfilling. Although, I was reading an interview with a famous Indian female author, Arundhati Roy, who was asked a similar question about one of her books and she didn't like the idea because she felt that every single one of her readers had their own vision of what the story was and to make a film of it would unfairly limit it to only one view. So I think that is a fair thing to say as a writer and I can understand where she is coming from, but personally, I don't have an objection so long as it translates well.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Just that I really enjoyed the interview and feel fortunate to have been able to be a part of it!

Thanks Margot for doing the interview. I'll be sure to let people know about "The Young Vidals".

No comments:

Post a Comment