Saturday, November 19, 2011

"Squaresville" Star Kylie Sparks



After getting her start in community theater in her native Tulsa, OK, Kylie Sparks' professional debut came at 16 when she in starred in the IFC Films and InDigEnt feature "Pizza," alongside Ethan Embry ("Sweet Home Alabama," "That Thing You Do!," Showtime's "Brotherhood"), Julie Hagerty ("Airplane!"), Judah Friedlander ("30Rock") and Miriam Shor ("Hedwig and the Angry Inch"), among many others. ...After making the rounds on the festival circuit, including the world premiere in competition at the Los Angeles Film Festival, IFC Films released "Pizza" in theatres, on DVD, and is now available on iTunes and Netflix Instant.

After "Pizza," Kylie recurred on "Complete Savages" and "Desperate Housewives," as well as guest starred on "Melissa & Joey," "Bones," "ER," "Greek," "Traffic Light," and "Campus Ladies," and is currently starring on the upcoming webseries "Squaresville." Kylie also recently performed as part of an all-star ensemble in the Outfest Screenwriters Lab Readings selection "GBF" directed by Darren Stein ("Jawbreaker").

Kylie graduated high school at 16 and after studying French and Music, she graduated from the University of Southern California with a Bachelor of Arts in Theatre with a Musical Theatre emphasis. She is also an alumna of the acclaimed 'Broadway bootcamp,' Broadway Theatre Project in Tampa, FL

In her downtime, Kylie enjoys singing, music, writing, travelling, exploring Los Angeles with friends, and relaxing with her two dogs Daphne and Gemma. Her birthday is January 27.

 

What is the current project you are working on?

I'm currently in the middle of production on season one of  "Squaresville" at the moment!

How is doing a webseries different & similar from doing a TV show or film?

It's really not all that different.  The pace is faster than most things I've done (shooting 6 episodes with a few minisodes in 6 days is a lot!) and we have a smaller crew than many productions, but it's the same idea.  I actually like the faster pace because it makes me stay focused on what needs to get done!

What are the similarities and differences between you and your "Squaresville" character?

Esther and I both have a very sarcastic sense of humor and we're both pretty loud, but I'd like to think I'm a little more bubbly and outgoing than how Esther is, and Esther definitely has her own way of handling conflict and crazy situations!

How do you define success?

I think success is subjective-you can make all the money in the world and be famous but if you're not happy at what you do and how you live life, then you aren't successful.  Success really is about how you feel in your life, and I think it always changes based on your goals and desires.

How do you handle rejection?

Laugh.  There will always be haters and people who talk about you and how you may not be pretty enough, tall enough, thin enough, etc., but it's all really silly, so I try and have a good time regardless if it's going to go my way or not.  I have some great friends who have my back and two awesome dogs and my kickass mom who has always supported me in everything I've done, and I can count on them to be there for me!

Did you always want to be an actress?

Actually, I didn't really know I wanted to be an actor until I was about 13 and I started coming out to Los Angeles.  I wanted to be a doctor, an Olympic swimmer, or a meteorologist (or all three....), but I was always in musicals and took dance, voice, and acting lessons outside of school, so when I finally came out to LA to audition for movies and TV, I realized this was the only thing I could do.

 What inspired you to become an actress?

We have this thing in the second grade at the school I went to in Tulsa called the Fairy Tale Tea, where it's basically a bunch of fairy tales put on as little one-act plays.   I was cast as the Wicked Queen in an adaptation of Snow White, and I loved it.  I knew that I wanted to do something like that, but even after getting cast in community theatre roles, it was the idea of something bigger than made me want to be a professional actor.

 What is the best thing about being one?

The fact that you get to step in someone else's shoes for a little bit.  It solves a bit of the mystery behind how people act and behave around others.  Also you get to meet some really awesome people and create a really lovely network of co-workers and friends.

 What is the worst thing about being one?

Being compared to other actors in my type.  I don't really want to be anyone else, I just want to be myself and do what I love, bottom line.

What was your first acting job?


IFC Films' "Pizza," which I did when I was 16 co-starring Ethan Embry and Julie Hagerty, among numerous notable others!

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Wow, I actually have no clue!  I've done a bit of everything, from commercials to TV to theatre to movies and staged readings...I even sang in my own mini-cabaret a few months ago.  I'm just happy to be working.

 Who are your favorite actors?

I love so many of them that I think we'll be here all day!  My definite top ones are Bradley Cooper, Robert Downey Jr., Gene Hackman, Anjelica Huston, Kate Winslett, Cate Blanchett, Vera Farmiga, George Clooney, Michelle Williams, Meryl Streep (obviously,) Megan Mullally, Eliza Coupe, Alan Cumming, Kristin Chenoweth,  Carey Mulligan, Felicity Huffman (who is amazing, I got to work with her on "Desperate Housewives," and she is so awesome!), Ethan Embry (which seriously made my life complete getting to work with him!), Edie Falco, William H. Macy, Mary-Louise Parker, and so many more.  I am always inspired by any actor doing great work, whether it's a piece of theatre, a sitcom, a TV drama, or a film.

 How has your life changed since you became an actress?

It really hasn't changed much.  If anything, the location changed from Oklahoma to Los Angeles, but other than that it's my job that I do.  I've been so lucky to be able to focus on my career and have people support me, but they always keep me grounded.

 What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Tenacity.  It's not easy, but if you really want it and you do the work, it can be the best thing to ever happen to you.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

I don't let grass grow under my feet!  I love working out, writing, exploring (you can usually find me in my car driving around), hanging out with friends, going out and just enjoying.  There's always something you can do in LA, between the museums, the shopping, the restaurants....just taking my dogs to the park is a great time.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become an actress?

I have been so lucky and blessed that this is the only job I've ever done since I was 16 years old, even during college.  I have experience in being a personal assistant but it doesn't really count because it's been for my parents, and my parents wanted me to focus on school and career and they would help me out on the rest.  I am just so grateful for that.

How would you describe your film education?

I didn't go to film school; I went to theatre school at USC, but since I've been working since I was 16 and watching movies and TV loooooong before, I feel like I have a pretty nice hands-on education.  However, with every project I've work on, I try to learn something from it so I can make my performance better the next time.  I had NO clue about all the technical aspects on "Pizza" because I had never been in front of a camera before, but I learned so much that by the end of the shoot I knew what to ask, where to stand, how to move, etc.  Each job is so different that I usually learn something about either filmmaking or performance.  With "Squaresville," Matt and I had a discussion about the post-production process, and I learned SO much about the evolution of the post-production process even from five years ago!

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Films: Empire Records, Garden State, The Hangover, Wet Hot American Summer, Amelie, City of God, Beginners, Midnight in Paris, The American President, Ghost World, Requiem for a Dream, The Social Network, Bridesmaids, Harry Potter (obviously!), Chicago, WALL-E, all of the Christopher Guest movies, all Kevin Smith movies (minus Red State since I have yet to see it), The Motorcycle Diaries, Lost in Translation, The Ides of March was incredible, Never Let Me Go, An Education, The King's Speech....seriously, we are going to be here all day!

TV: Suburgatory, Happy Endings, Mad Men, 30 Rock, Parenthood, Dexter, The Biggest Loser, The Amazing Race, How to Make It In America, Entourage (RIP), the first few seasons of Weeds, Nurse Jackie, and Grey's Anatomy, Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared, Desperate Housewives, ER (back in the day), Kitchen Confidential (which I rewatch on Hulu all the time!), Alias, Sports Night, The West Wing, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (I'm a big Aaron Sorkin fan, can you tell?)...I watch a lot of TV.

 How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

You can't get any bigger than Los Angeles.

 How has social media changed the independent film industry?

I think a lot of films, webseries, and even television shows have been successful because of social media.  I believe Judd Apatow said that Bridesmaids was "the movie Twitter built," and it's so true-it became this huge unexpected hit because of word of mouth.  With so much of our world being interactive and online, a little show people may have not given a chance a few years ago now can become the next big thing.  A good chunk of marketing nowadays relies on social media, so I think as long as you use it to their advantage, you can create successful programming based on a Facebook page or a Twitter account.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

I think sites like Kickstarter and Indie-a-GoGo are wonderful in helping out projects that may not get a chance outside of a major label or company.  Before the "Squaresville" campaign, several friends of mine had launched Kickstarters to get their albums recorded, their short films funded, even their theatre companies launched.  Sometimes we have to take the bull by the horns and do things ourselves, and Kickstarter helps make ideas reality.

 How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

I think independent media has the ability to tell stories that wouldn't normally pass studio gates.  Take a look at some of the films from Sundance this year; I saw "Martha Marcy May Marlene" a few weeks ago, and everything about it was haunting and incredible, but it only saw the light of day because of the film festival circuit helping independent cinema get off the ground.  Independents really do help each other out, and the communal aspect is a major draw for me.

 You could go back in time and act in any film. Which film would it be and why?

This is such a good question!  I think I would LOVE to be either Sam in Garden State or Kathy in Never Let Me Go.  These are two of my favorite roles I've seen in recent years, and they're so unique and challenging in their own ways that it would be an awesome task to take on.

Do you believe in life on other planets?

The universe is so big that I refuse to believe we are the only life that exists.

Do you have any favorite charities?

I really love supporting animal rescue organizations and no-kill shelters (either with money or supplies), as well as pro-women's rights organizations (i.e. Planned Parenthood).  In the past I have also donated to St. Jude and Susan G. Komen, two charities that are vital to our society.

 What's your favorite movie quote and why?

There is a quote in "Contact" that I love that David Morse says-"Small Moves, Ellie.  Small Moves."  I think it just reminds me that we can't rush things.  We have to take our time and do the work, and when we do that, incredible things can happen.

 What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

I think if done correctly, they can be great.  Also, with some sequels, you have to go into it knowing that it's not going to be as good as the original.  If it is, great.  If not, you won't be disappointed.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptations?

They can be hit and miss.  Some are better than the book, while other times the movie will leave major information out which hurts the story, especially if it's widely known.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Thank you so much for wanting to interview me!  And watch "Squaresville" when it debuts online in early 2012 at www.squaresvilleseries.com!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for doing the interview Kylie.  I recently saw "Pizza". I thought you did a wonderful job. I look forward to "Squaresville" in 2012. You have an open invitation to do another interview for your next project, if you want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment