Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Author Pandora Poikilos

 



International best-selling author, Pandora Poikilos has been writing for more than 10 years for various media which include newspapers, radio, television and various websites.

A social media enthusiast who is passionate about blogging and finding her way around the virtual world, she wills away time in the real world by reading, writing and people watching.

What is the current project you are working on? 

My third and fourth novel, a few short stories and my non-fiction pieces which are titled Dora's Essentials. My third novel is titled "I Am Not You" and features a son who leaves home in disgrace when he is not able to take over the family business and the long road home that he faces. This will be released in April 2012. My fourth novel is "Today, Tomorrow, Never" and is the second book in the Cathy Dixon series.

How do you define success? 

Ten years ago, I would have said success is when you're rich. Now, I say success is when you are happy.

How do you handle rejection?

I keep moving forward. Sometimes it stings a lot but staying in one place mourning about it isn't going to make things any better.

Did you always want to be a writer?

For as long as I can remember. My first article was printed in a local paper when I was thirteen and then I kept writing.

What inspired you to become a writer?

When I first started I had something to get out of my system and in some ways, this is what keeps me going.

What is the best thing about being one?

You get to meet so many different people and when someone says your work helped me through a tough spot, that's just icing on the cake.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Misconception. Some people insist that being a writer is not a way to pay bills. If you're not paying my bills then I think I should be the judge of that.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Hundreds. For a long time, I also worked on radio, tv and corporate documentary scripts. I did media junkets, worked on magazine and website articles.

Who is your favorite author?

Charles Dickens.

How has your life changed since you became writer?

 I stick to a routine these days, something I've really done before. Two hours social media networking, two hours writing and two hours editing.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to be a writer?

Grow a thick skin and keep moving forward.


What do you like to do besides writing?

I love listening to music, making beaded jewellery and sewing.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a writer

For most of my life, I've been writing. But I've had a string of jobs to pay my bills. I've worked in a cinema, as a public relations executive in a hotel, as a proofreader, a typist to name a few.

How would you describe your education?

I received a BA Mass Communications from Curtin University and I consider myself lucky as some people these days find tertiary education unattainable because of increased fees.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

I love Curb Your Enthusiasm and the new Sherlock series has me salivating. Other than that some of the series I follow are the Army Wives and the Good Wife.

How would you describe the writing "scene" where you live?

I'm from the UK but travelling through Asia at the moment. Here, self-publishing is slowly catching on but there aren't as many writer cafes or book clubs as I would like.

How has social media changed the publishing industry?

There's Amanda Hocking, Joe Konrath and a host of others who are now paid writers. I think this and Amazon's continuous efforts to improve their services are proof enough that social media has drastically changed the publishing industry. I am confident that more changes will definitely take place over the next five years or so.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream? 

I would like to say it's all budget issue but I also think it's becoming an avenue to discover more talent and to inspire others.

You could have any first edition book. Which book would it be and why?

Great Expectations. I've always believed that there was a little bit of Dickens in that book and it is one of my favourite books of all times.

Do you believe in life on other planets? 

Honestly, I don't know.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free.-Shawshank Redemption because it's the absolute truth. I had a VP Shunt inserted in my brain and while the surgery was successful, the pain I felt beyond neurosurgery was out of this world. Most days I was terrified, hope got me through. 

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

I'm not a big fan of remakes, it usually turns out to be a disappointment because they are now focused on special effects that the story becomes different. Chicken Little fighting off aliens? Hmmm, just not my cup of tea. Sequels I don't mind.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

Some work and some don't. The Notebook was a great adaptation, Great Expectations wasn't.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Thank you for doing the interview Pandora. I hope to read your work in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment