Sunday, March 4, 2012

Filmmaker Claire Wasmund

Claire Wasmund is a Midwest raised award-winning screenwriter and filmmaker whose written work has appeared in nationally published journals including film magazine Indie Slate Magazine. 

Claire produced the award-winning, independent feature film The Grover Complex written by, produced, and starring Fernando Noor.   The feature was an official selection of 15 film festivals, earning "Best Comedy" and "Best of Festival" awards as well as a “Filmmakers to Watch” award for Wasmund and Noor.  

Claire is the creator and writer of the web series Partners in Pretension also starring Fernando Noor and Tristan Scott-Behrends, which has over 200,000 views on Koldcast TV and appears on four other online networks. 



Claire has also directed episodes of Diary of a Wedding Planner and is currently in post-production on a fantasy short film with Longlost Pictures and Fernando Noor.

Claire lives in Los Angeles where she works as a filmmaker at T.G.C. Films with Fernando Noor.

What is the current project you’re working on?

I’m currently finishing up a fantasy short film titled, “The Tale of the Heroine and the Cad”, and then going into pre-production on another short film and a feature film.

How do you measure success?

By how many times I’ve high-fived myself.  But really more if I’m happily moving towards the bigger picture.

How do you handle rejection?

I spend a week thinking about how that person is an idiot; occasionally I’ll make a list.  The next week I spend thinking about how I’m an idiot; occasionally I’ll make a list.  The next week I combine those lists and come up with points both myself and my rejecter need to improve on.  It’s okay to be angry, but try to learn.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

Yeah, there are videos of me forcing my younger brothers to be in my early films.  There is one video of a My Little Pony massacre; another video of me running with my dog to catch some invisible assailant who was chasing my brother on his Big Wheel.  I dreamed big.

What inspired you to become a filmmaker?

An overwhelming desire for immortality.

What is the best thing about creating a webseries?

You don’t have to wait for permission to screen it.  With a short or a feature, when you go the traditional route with them you have to wait for festival acceptance or for distribution to be finalized.  With a web series, when you’re ready to put it up, you put it up. You get faster feedback which means you can learn faster.

What is the worst thing about creating one?

I think they lack respect.  I’ve encountered some great ones who have about a feature’s worth of content and half the time no one cares because “it’s a web series”.  It does seem like you could slap together a real sub-par feature and get a lot of praise for “doing a feature”, and then take your time on a well-put-together web series with the same amount of content and have people scoff because “it will only be online”.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Maybe 15?  Thanks for throwing the word “estimated” in there.

How has your life changed since you created your webseries?

I got to work, and continue to work, with some fantastic people who will surely improve every future project they touch.  That is invaluable.

You’re also constantly learning how to better deal with people.  I met some disappointing people on this series and it taught me a valuable lesson in when to get rid of people before they become problems.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to become create their own series?

Please spend time on your script.  Please.  One draft or two drafts doesn’t cut it.  It all begins with the script.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to create “Partners in Pretension”?

After and during college I worked with the developmentally disabled which teaches you a whole new way to look at the world.  In Los Angeles I’ve worked with the elderly, I’ve worked as a prop master, I’ve written for a web site, and I’ve worked in reality TV.  I add all of those experiences to a list of memories I plan to use in my writing later.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

I love The Sopranos.  I like Fargo, Grosse Pointe Blank, When Harry Met Sally, Sideways, A Fish Called Wanda, and many more that escape me.

How would you describe your film education?

I went to the New York Film Academy’s one year program for screenwriting.  Before that I was in school for English.  A lot of my film education has come from trial and error and a group of supportive friends.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

If you can do it, you’re amazing… and please make sure you thank your contributors.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

I think you work harder for less applause, but at the same time you get to court your own approval more.

What's your favorite quote and why?

“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.” ~Mark Twain

I think a lot of us spend time thinking, “why that person?”  Often it’s because they went for it and didn’t apologize or even think too hard.  You can question their talent, but at the end of the day they had the guts to put their work (whatever quality it was) out there for all the world to see and you didn’t because you were sitting at home mulling over the consequences.  Even if you know what could go wrong, stop thinking about what could go wrong.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

I wish they wouldn’t.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Two things:

For all creators and performers of any kind: You are great and you are brave.

And finally, please watch “Partners in Pretension” at www.partnersinpretension.com

 

No comments:

Post a Comment