Thursday, March 28, 2013

DANIEL SOLLINGER: FILM PRODUCER, LINE PRODUCER AND AD



Daniel Sollinger is a graduate of New York University's Film School, and the Producer of more than 350 commercials, music videos, and short films for clients including Pepsi, Warner Brothers Records, CBS, Sony, and Comedy Central. His work has won awards from New York University, The American Film Institute, The Accolade Awards and the American Motion Picture Society.

After working on numerous rap videos for artists such as Will Smith, LL Cool J, and A Tribe Called Quest, Daniel teamed up with Oscar and Emmy nominated director, Peter Spirer on "Rhyme & Reason," a feature film documentary on hip-hop culture. It was distributed by Miramax Films and played in 280 theaters nationwide, garnering $1.6 million at the Domestic Box office and a certified gold soundtrack. Later that year, Hollywood Reporter listed it as one of the year's top 15 most profitable films of the year.

Daniel also served as an Executive Producer on the feature film, "Six Ways to Sunday" directed by Adam Bernstein and starring Adrian Brody, Deborah Harry, and Isaac Hayes. It was released theatrically by Stratosphere Entertainment, and is now available in video stores.

Also available is the feature film, "Love Goggles" which Daniel produced and which won the Jury Prize at the Hollywood Black Film Festival. Daniel's other feature credits include being the sole producer on "God's Forgotten House" starring N'Bushe Wright, "Age of Kali" starring Taylor Nichols and directed by Rafal Zelinsky, "The God's of Circumstance" starring John Schneider and the upcoming "LA Slasher" starring Mischa Barton, Eric Roberts, and Danny Trejo.

Daniel's line producing credits include the recently released, "Without Men" starring Eva Longoria, "Day Zero" starring Elijah Wood, Chris Klein, and Ginnifer Goodwin, "The Alphabet Killer" with Eliza Dushku, Cary Elwes, and Timothy Hutton, as well as Toronto Film Festival selection, "Day on Fire" starring Olympia Dukakis and Martin Donovan, directed by Jay Anania. He also recently line produced the thriller, "In My Sleep" directed by Allen Wolf and "Downtown: A Street Tale" starring three time Oscar nominee Genevieveve Bujold and Oscar nominee John Savage.

Website: www.danielsollinger.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Daniel-Sollinger/122936131094343

Twitter: https://twitter.com/danielsollinger

What is the current project you are working?

I just wrapped a movie called, "LA Slasher," with Mischa Barton, Dave Bautista, Brooke Hogan, Eric Roberts and Danny Trejo.  I am also prepping a movie called, "Baden" which we should be shooting this winter with director Jordan Barker.

What was it like working with Austin Chick?

Austin is one of the most talented directors I have ever worked with.  He is very focused and has a clear and compelling vision.  He is tireless in his pursuit of excellence.  He is awesome.

What is your opinion on crowdfunding?

I would say crowdfunding is the future if it wasn't already the past and the present.  It is not for every project, but it can be used in a lot of interesting ways.  I have seen movies entirely financed through crowdfunding, but I have also seen crowdfunding used only for post production or promotion.  I am attached to a movie called "Lesson From Violet" where we are crowdfunding the development money, but will be using more conventional financing for the actual production.  I think that is smart way to go, because it takes the risk out of development process.

Why do you think it's important to mentor the next generation of filmmakers?


I personally enjoy mentoring because I like to see and hear what is on the minds of the uninitiated.  The longer I work, the more I see problems instead of possibilities.  I have encountered too many things that went wrong and mentoring is a great way to keep it fresh.

What is the best way to make it in the film industry? 




Don't let anyone tell you you can't.  Never give up.  When I was in film school, there were a lot of other students with richer parents, more famous parents, or they were just more talented than I.   But in the end of the day, I am here making movies and many of them are not because I refuse to give up.

How do independent films differ from Hollywood films?




I wish I had more experience from the Studio side to tell you about that.  What I would say is that If Hollywood films follow the laws of gravity, independent films are like quantum mechanics.  Everything is different and weird compared to the way things are done at the studio level.

What is your favorite film of all time and why?




So many....  Off the top of my head Children of Paradise because I realized film was an art form.  Apocalypse Now because I realized film making can be grand.  Contact because I realized film can be deep and spiritual.

Would you consider working on more films in Massachusetts?



I shot a movie on Cape Cod years ago called, "April V."  I loved it.  I loved the people and I had a great time.  When I shot "The Putt Putt Syndrome" in Maine, we drew a lot of crew and equipment from Boston, and I was very satisfied.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for doing the interview Daniel. If you ever shoot a film in or around the Boston area, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment