Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Ben Hock Lead Artist Unsinkable Studio

Ben Hock

Ben was born and raised in Denver, Colorado, where he first cultivated his love for drawing and cartooning. Ben spent his childhood and adolescence doodling and soon wound up earning a BFA at the Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore. Shortly after graduating, he started Unsinkable Studio, a multi-media animation studio that specializes in advertisements and explainer videos for businesses. Ben loves experimenting with all forms of animation, including paper cut-outs, paint on glass, 2D, 3D, stop-motion and pixilation.

Website: http://unsinkablestudio.com

What is "Mile High"?

"Mile High" is an animated web series about 2 friends who are struggling to get things right in high school, a time in their lives when pretty much everything goes wrong. The episodes are based on stuff that actually happened to me or a friend at that time in our lives. I think as you get older you realize that everybody was awkward at that time, even the jocks and prom queens, so everyone should be able to relate to it. The show is called "Mile High" because I grew up in Denver, the "Mile High City," and it just seemed to fit with the high school vibe.

Why did you decide you create this animated web series?

I graduated a couple years ago from art school and since then I've watched myself and friends struggle to find fulfilling work in the animation industry. There are next to no jobs out there, and budgets are tight. It's hard to see really talented people being forced to give up on their dream because the industry is so closed off. Since graduating, I've wanted to start my own little studio that could eventually get bigger. The idea was always to support each other as artists and join forces to make great work. "Mile High" is the first step toward that goal.

Who will be animating and voicing the characters?

I've wrangled a couple of my friends and former classmates to help out with the show, and they both bring a lot of talent to the table. I've designed the style and characters for the show, but I'll be animating each episode with the help of Jean Yi and Kody Roman. Jean will be helping with the character animation, while Kody is our After Effects master. I'm pulling a Seth MacFarlane and voicing most of the characters myself, but I've brought in a few actor friends to voice a bunch of characters too.

What is the key to a successful crowdfunding campaign?

I think the key to having a successful crowdfunding campaign is to have a lot of generous friends, especially if your idea is new. You see a lot of campaigns getting a ton of attention because it's an existing property that people are familiar with and love. It's a little harder when you're asking people to jump on board and give you money for an idea that's new to them. It's harder for people to visualize the project's success. It helped that we had the opening of the show for people to see, but most of the pledges we got were from friends. Since the show is about me and a friend from high school, I used Facebook to let all my high school connections know about it, and we got a huge response. I'm still kind of flattered by how many people that I haven't talked to in years gave money to the show. Then again, maybe they just wanted to see how much of an awkward mess I really was in high school... Either way...

What is your favorite animated series of all time?

It's hard to pick a favorite animated series because there are so many that I love in so many different genres. "Batman the Animated Series" from the early 90's stands out. "King of the Hill" and "Spongebob" are also favorites. I think the one that always gets me, though, is "South Park." The animation is rough, and Trey Parker and Matt Stone would probably be the first to tell you that, but the writing and characterization are just so spot on. I love it because they are never afraid to make fun of absolutely everyone. The show might seem totally crude to some people, but it's incredible how honest it is about what's going on in the world. Plus, there are always bonus jokes that only a Coloradan would get. Friends who watch the show are always flabbergasted when I tell them that Casa Bonita is real and I used to go there all the time as a kid. I love pretty much everything about that show.

Why did you name your company "Unsinkable  Studio"?

I named my company Unsinkable Studio for a couple reasons. I wanted a name that felt strong and hopeful. Kind of like an outcry, "We aren't going to fail and you can't stop us!" The other part of it is to pay homage to my home. The "Unsinkable" Molly Brown, the Titanic survivor, was from Denver and has a museum named after her and everything. It seemed like a more subtle way of reminding myself of where I'm from. Are you starting to see a theme here?

If you could animate any celebrity who would it be and why?

If I could animate any celebrity I'd choose Rex Ryan, the coach of the New York Jets. I know it's kind of a weird answer, but really I'd love to animate any celebrity I just can't stand. Bill O'Reilly and any of the Fox "News" crew, Ann Coulter, Kanye West, Ke$ha... They all stand out. Animation is all about the subtleties of movement that are specific to certain characters and pointing those out. I think because I dislike all of these people so much, I notice all of the annoying things they do that others might miss. They all make my blood boil. On the flip side, there are some celebrities that I love who are so quirky that they are a blast to animate. Last summer I spent a few weeks doing an animated sports show for fun featuring Charles Barkley, who I voiced and animated. His voice and the stuff that comes out of his mouth kills me! I love Sir Charles.

Is there anything you'd like to add?

Thanks a lot for your interest in the show! I can't wait for people to see it! The first episode comes out mid-May and will be on our YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/UnsinkableStudio

=================================================================================================================

Thanks a lot for doing the interview Ben. "Mile High seems like a funny series. I can't wait to see the show. I think you are right I think people will relate to the characters. I know I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment