Thursday, April 11, 2013

Writer Liz Shannon Miller






A versatile and experienced writer, with experience including live television and sketch comedy (G4's "Attack of the Show"), online video news and analysis (the tech blog GigaOM) and theater (including the critically acclaimed "Lights Off, Eyes Closed").

Liz knows how to use a semi-colon and has an in-depth understanding of the web content world dating back to 2006. She is hoping to find an opportunity that makes use of at least one of those things.

To find out more about Liz go to lizshannonmiller.com/



What is the current project you are working on right now?

Right now, I'm working on a number of freelance projects, mostly playing to my understanding of the online video world. I've been writing about YouTube and web series and whatnot since 2006, and observing this industry evolve over the past several years has been fascinating, and has also left me capable of everything from serious journalism to profanity-filled rants to actual scripted content.

I am also (just like every other writer in Hollywood) developing more traditional material, sitcom pilots and screenplays and the like. As Avon Barksdale says, "The game is the game. Always."

What is your favorite film of all time?

If they could figure out a way to combine "The Matrix" and "Casablanca" into one movie, I'd be a happy happy dame.  This question is kind of impossible, though.

What was it like writing for "Attack Of The Show"?

Hilarious and weird in equal measure. You'd come in every morning with no clue what the day would hold -- what ridiculous sketch you'd end up seeing on the air at 4 PM Pacific time -- and we were lucky to work with an incredible roster of talent who made everything we wrote better.

I think my major takeaway was a real love for live television; going live brings a level of spontaneity to the proceedings that made magical things happen. (It also occasionally led to less-than-magical things happening, but such is live television.)

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

The same advice I'm trying to follow myself: Always be writing. It doesn't necessarily matter what, as long as writing is happening.

These days, I feel like my job isn't writing -- my job is coaxing myself to the keyboard, by whatever means necessary. Sometimes, this means bribery ("Finish responding to this email interview, and you can watch that British miniseries you downloaded two months ago!"). Sometimes, this means self-denial ("If you don't finish responding to that email interview, then you don't get any coffee"). A lot of times, this means deadlines ("Seriously, Liz, get off your ass and finish responding to that email interview TONIGHT").

Also, breaking big projects down into small pieces makes them much less daunting. A screenplay is hard to write. A fun scene from Act 2? That's easy. Write the fun scene from Act 2, and then the next scene, and the next scene, and eventually et voila -- screenplay.

I do find it really helpful to have a bunch of different projects going on, because there will be days when that book of essays is your enemy, and that sketch idea sounds like a fun thing to play with, and days when the reverse is true. I try to be gentle with myself when the work's not coming, and celebrate the days when the words pour out of me. But above all else, I try to write every day, because a day without writing isn't much of a day at all.

Are you a fan of paradoxes?

I like them when they're well thought out -- which is rare of paradoxes.  My favorite kind of paradoxes are predestination paradoxes, where everything falls into place because of what's come before and after.

What are you most excited to see when "Doctor Who" comes back on the air?

Something new! I love the show, but after two and a half seasons of Amy and Rory, I'm really enjoying what a fresh companion brings to the proceedings. New companions always make "Who" work a little harder, and I think Clara, the new girl, is just what the show needs.

Who is your favorite doctor from the series?

Always will love Eccleston, but the 10th Doctor really does rock that suit.

Are you more a a fan of Kirk or Picard?

Kirk belonged to my mother, so I'm probably more a Picard girl. That said, I love Chris Pine's interpretation of ol' James Tiberius.

Can you explain what exactly is "LizTellsFrank"?

Can and will!  "Liz Tells Frank What Happened In..." (http://www.liztellsfrank.com) is a project that began several years ago, when my friend Frank asked me to tell him what happened during the first season of "Bones," and I complied by writing him long letters for a message board we both belonged to.

A couple of years ago, I started telling Frank about films, TV shows and books unrelated to "Bones," and "Liz Tells Frank" has become a blog of nearly 150 posts, the web's number one resource for which "Doctor Who" and "Farscape" episodes to skip and/or watch, and a book.  Actually, TWO books!

It's essentially an opportunity for me to make fun of various pop culture standards, while also providing a valuable public service in preventing Frank and others from having to watch stuff like "Showgirls" or "Madea's Family Reunion." I have never made a profit from "Liz Tells Frank," but I'm having too much fun to care.

How awesome is Michele Martin?

SUPER-AWESOME. That much talent and heart in one person ought to be illegal.

Is there anything you'd like to add?

Just that I'm pleased to have been included in this interview series! Thank you for having me.

================================================================================================================

Thank you doing the interview Liz.   I'm glad we agree Michele Martin is awesome. She's a super classy lady and I'd like to thank her for introducing me to all the greatness that is Liz Shannon Miller.

We'll have to disagree on Doctors. I think Eccleston is great. However, Tom Baker will always be my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment