Saturday, April 20, 2013

Actor Dave Vescio

 


Born in Somerset, Pennsylvania in 1970, Dave Vescio began making his own way through life at a very young age, joining the U.S. Army (25th Infantry Division) when he was 18-years old as a combat light infantry soldier with a specialty in jungle warfare. He studied Broadcast Journalism at Virginia Tech after his service, and Vescio soon found himself working as a TV Photojournalist for CBS News.

Performing on screen was always a natural medium, and it was only a matter of time before Vescio was accepted as a full-time student at the Atlantic Theater Company in NYC led by an impressive ensemble, the likes of writer/director David Mamet and actor William H. Macy (Fargo). Dave quickly found his passion for playing the villain in theater plays and feature films.

For ten years Vescio has meticulously perfected his craft, focusing on the antagonist and offbeat roles and developing his own unique style of acting. With his stunning ability to step into the mind of the character, and a preference of provocative and controversial roles, Vescio offers a performance that invades audience’s comfort zone.

Always attracted to the darker side of life, Dave Vescio has performed in over 40 horror and science fiction films, including Syfy’s Gemini Rising, and the thriller Lost Soul. A rapidly rising star, Vescio takes the helm of the villainous role in the blockbuster Hick (2012) alongside a star-studded ensemble including Alec Baldwin, Blake Lively, Juliette Lewis, and Chloe Moretz.  

Other credits include The Millionaire Tour with Dominic Monaghan with upcoming movies in the works that include The Trials of Cate McCall with Kate Beckinsale & Nick Nolte; and The Odd Way Home with Rumer Willis (daughter of Bruce Willis & Demi Moore).




What is the current project you are working on?

I’m actually co-producing and co-writing a feature film script that I’m going to star in.  Now, I actually can’t talk about.  But, let’s just say that it’s going to be very controversial; and if you know anything about me, I LOVE doing controversial and provocative movies.  I just love getting underneath the skin of the audience, and fucking with their head. :)

But, I also have a lot of different movies coming out in 2012 and 2013.  I have an end of times movie coming out this summer called ‘Revelation Road 2’ (starring Eric Roberts, Brian Bosworth, & Sting the wrestler).  And at the end of the year or the beginning of 2013, my movie with Kate Beckinsale and Nick Nolte will come to movie theater near you, and it’s called ‘The Trials of Cate McCall’.  And sometime later on in 2013, my Rumer Willis (the daughter of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore) movie will come out as well; it’s called ‘The Odd Way Home’.  Plus, I have a lot of different straight to DVD movies coming out as well, from horror to sci-fi to crime thrillers.

What was it like on the set of "Hick"?

Man; that was the best set that I ever had the privilege to work on.  Everyone brought their A-game to that movie.  My god, it was definitely a great set to work on, and the cast & crew were just phenomenal.  And the director and the writer were the best of the best.  Man, I miss working on a set like that.  That was a great movie shoot for sure.

Why did you become an actor?

Good question.  Umm, for a lot of different reasons… It makes me feel like that I’m still a child again, and that I’m playing all the time.  Plus, it’s so emotional and so real (if you allow it to be), and that definitely gets my blood going.  To turn an imaginary circumstance into an actual truth for not only my self but for the audience as well.  And I just love being able to do that! :)   And it’s truly a challenge like no other.  So much to know, so much to learn, and so much to do to have a career that lasts from decade to decade.  It’s truly competitive, and probably one of the most competitive businesses in the world.   And plus, I have an actual life before acting, because I started acting at the age of 32, so, I’m always trying to incorporate that into my art as well.  As you know, I’m the only ex-con method actor in the world.  So, I’m always trying to bring the truth of the criminal world to each and every one of my characters, and show the younger generations that crime just does not pay.  You will get caught or you will get killed / horribly maimed.

How has David Mamet influenced you?

So much…  I still read his acting book called “True and False” at least once every single year for the past eleven years, and I trained at his acting conservatory in NYC.  I don’t know; the way he teaches acting is just unreal.  It’s all about making the character you, that there is no character, it’s just you up on stage or on the film/TV set.  But, I’m also a Method actor, so, I’m always combining the two techniques and making them as one.  And I will always be in debt to David Mamet.  Always!

What advice would you give to aspiring actors?

The best advice that I can honestly give to any actor on this planet is that: Applied Knowledge is POWER!  The more you know, the more you apply, the more power / success that you’ll have in the end.  So, read every single acting book, business of acting book, business book, and leadership book that you can.  And we’re called Lead Actors for a reason.  It’s our job to not only lead the audience to the story, but, to also lead them through the story.  And it’s called Show Business for a reason as well.  We have to *show* our art to the audience and to the industry by using *business tactics*.  But, the other thing that I truly recommend is that you have to start making your own movies, TV shows, webisodes, theatrical plays, or whatever.  Because once you do that, you’ll then have full control over your art form.  And you won’t just be an actor for hire anymore.  You’ll actually be creating Art that you personally care for, versus what the industry cares for.  And to me, that’s the whole point of being an artist in the first place; to show our own unique truths to the world.

What is your dream role?

I just love creating art that connects with the world’s audience.  It doesn’t matter if it’s a smaller project or a bigger project.  As long as it affects them, and it gets them to want to share it with their friends & family members.  And that’s what ‘Hick’ is doing right now across the world.  Every single day, dozens on dozens of people are Tweeting about the movie and the performances that they just saw.  And my movie ‘The Millionaire Tour’ is slowly doing that as well.  It stars Dominic Monaghan and it’s currently playing everywhere overseas right now; it just has not been released in North America.

If you could arm wrestle anyone who would it be and why?

That’s a funny question! :)   Hmm, most likely a female; I got to have fun you know! :)  Now, I would probably say one of the Playboy Playmates that works at Playboy Radio.  I’ve been interviewed by that radio station twice in the past two years (in person), and I honestly had so much fun on those shows. :)  These Playboy Playmates are great, fun, adorable young women, and super smart, and so, so playful.  They definitely know how to have fun! :)  So, one of them for sure!  And if I had to choose, probably Nikki Leigh; she is so beautiful and such a blast to talk to.  She’s an awesome interviewer!

What's your favorite quote?

That’s a tough one.  I actually like Dr. Scholl’s quote: “Early to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise.”  So, that’s probably my most favorite one.  But, I also like the one that I learned in the U.S. Army when I was a combat infantry soldier.  And that’s “Failure is just NOT an option!  Do or die.  There is no try.”  So, as you can see, my two favorite quotes deal with competing and out winning your competition at all costs.  And that’s how I see my life these days.  Always competing and always outsmarting my competition.  Or at least trying to! :)

Is there anything you'd like to add?

Yeah, that anything and everything is possible in life.  You just got to figure out how to exactly do it.  And then do it.  But, EVERYTHING is possible in life.  Just don’t ever quit.  And I mean NEVER.

=================================================================================================================

Thanks for doing the interview Dave. You really creeped me out as "the stranger" in 'Hick'. I'll be on the look out for you in 'Revelation Road 2', 'The Trials of Cate McCall', and 'The Odd Way Home'.

No comments:

Post a Comment