Thursday, July 21, 2011

Interview with Author Michelle Picarella

 Michelle Anderson Picarella enters the fantasy realm with her debut novel, LIVIAN. She currently resides in the Carolinas with her husband and three story-inspiring children. Visit her at www.picarellawrites.com or facebook.com/picarellawrites.  Twitter: ShellyPicarella

What is the current project you are working on?

I will soon be editing my debut fantasy novel "LIVIAN" which is set to be released in June of 2012 through the Burst Imprint of Champagne Books. I am also currently working on a mind-blowing collaboration with some of my favorite modern authors. Stephen Penner, A.T. Russell, Vickie Adair, Tymothy Longoria, Phlegyas the Mindjuggler, Dawn Kirby have joined me in tackling the Seven Deadly Sins in form of short story fables. Check that out here:  http://shellypicarella.wordpress.com/2011/05/11/my-big-announcement/

Did you always want to be a writer?

No. When I was a young child, I wanted to be Dolly Parton. Eventually, I realized that I wasn't blonde, blessed in cup-size, and I couldn't sing. That is when the writer dream began.

What inspired you to become a writer?

My grandmother. She was an amazing writer. Her words were elegant even when she spoke, but her writing could send shivers of hope and faith down your spine.

What is the best thing about being a writer?

I would say, allowing your imagination to become limitless. We all have that trait as children, but somewhere down the road someone tells us to stop daydreaming. I couldn't imagine any writer functioning without daydreaming.

What is the worst thing about being one?

The worst thing? Putting yourself out there. I held off on writing my first novel for near a decade. I am not the soft heart sort- judge my clothes, my hair, my past, where I live, but when you place your dreams and your imagination into the world, that is frightening. I finally had to realize that everyone is not going to like my work. There are people out there that hate cheesecake. This makes no sense to me. None the less, some where out there is a cheesecake hater. Somewhere out there is someone that is simply going to hate my writing. It's a fact. At the same time, there will probably be more out there that love my work as much as I love cheesecake. That, my friend, is worth it.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Projects...I couldn't count. Between novels I have tinkered with and will complete, poetry, short stories, and articles, I have no clue.

Who is is your favorite author?

Shel Silverstein. He allowed himself to write with no limitations on theme or genre. I consider him to be a true artist. Anyone can write. An author puts their soul into their work, even the dark or goofy parts.

How has your life changed since you became a writer?

I am exhausted. I write mainly at night. Even when I go to bed, I often find myself plotting things out well into the morning as I try to doze off.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to become a writer?

That is an easy question. Never take advice from another writer. Remember, advice is an opinion, not fact. You can value someone's opinion, but always do your research and follow your own path.

What do you like to do besides writing?

I love spending time with my family and friends. I am a big antique fan. Nothing makes me happier than visiting estate sales and finding an old book, painting, or odd muse.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a writer?

Beyond journalism I was a substitute teacher.

What are some of your favorite books?

I have an odd collection of books that I consider the favorites through out my life. Anything from Silverstein, Dahl, or Poe. I love Bill Mahr's style of political humor as in New Rules. More modern, I happen to think that The Hunger Games books are the most mainstream captivating books that I have read in ages.

How would you describe the writing "scene" where you live?

The Carolina area (North and South) happen to be a pretty lit-populated area. The local writers that I have connected with are superb. We are also lucky to have a decent amount of indie/mom and pop booksellers around. If I became a million dollar best seller, I would stay right here.

You could be any animal. Which would you be?

Any animal on some sort of Vegetarian safe haven/refuge.

You could have any super power. What would it be?

Mind control. I should pick something that sounds less like a dictator. But I would use my super power for the good of the world. Scouts honor. Pretty much.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

They scare me. Adaptions are either brilliant or horrible. There is no middle point. The end.

You could have any first edition book. Which would it be?

Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?

How are you? I feel odd only talking about myself.

Thanks for doing the interview Michelle. Keep me posted on the progress of "LIVIAN". I look forward to reading it when it comes to a book store near me.

4 comments:

  1. --Q: You could have any first edition book. Which would it be?

    A:Grimm’s Fairy Tales.--

    WORD, Michelle.
    Great interview. Great questions. Great answers.

    Go, Michelle, go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome interview! The more I learn about you the more I love you! I can't wait to see LIVIAN on bookshelves around the country...Your amazing talent is gonna knock 'em dead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have the Cheesecake, please, and Livian on my Bookshelf!!
    Keep BLOWING IT UP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great interview Michelle i'm very happy your dreams are working out for you i am so very proud of you

    ReplyDelete