Monday, July 4, 2011

York Shackleton Interview

Born and raised in Southern California, York Shackleton took up snowboarding and skateboarding at age 10. By 19 he was on the professional snowboarding circuit, where he wowed legions of young fans and popularized a move called the "rodeo flip." Inspired to tap into the commercial aspect of the sport, York and a friend started the company groove snowboards. In the late 1990s, York took his tricks in front of the camera, appearing in several national commercials for Mountain Dew and Taco Bell. York got his first taste of straight acting the next year, when he turned up alongside Dominique Swain as a teenage skater in Johnathan Kahn's "Girl".

York's movie career began in earnest when he landed a lead role in Emilio Ferrari's "White Out" (at his very first audition, according to Ferrari). While the film was almost universally panned, York received high marks from critics and audiences for his turn as "a cocky king of the mountain" Kelly Powers. Ferrari was so pleased with York that he wrote a part for him in his next film, "I Know What You Did Last Winter".

After appearing in several Indies and the MTV series "Undressed", York crossed over into mainstream circles with his directorial debut. "Las Paraditas", a feature documentary exposing the violence and corruption that surrounds the prostitutes of Tijuana. In 2005, York wrote and directed the critically acclaimed cult film, "Kush" Starring William Atherton, Mike Erwin and Lyn Shea.

What is the current project you are working on?

I just finished a film in Portland Oregon called Street with Laura Ramsey and Toby Hemingway. It's all about runaways living the street life. Some pretty hardcore stuff actually.

Currently I have just completed a script for my next feature film "Urban Struggle" about Jerry Roach the owner of the Cuckoos Nest. A west coast punk rock club in Costa Mesa, Ca. The club was only open from 78 to 81 and was home to the start of slam dancing. But in those few short years so many things were born inside this little club in orange county that still live on in the mainstream today. Recently we premiered a documentary on the subject called We Were Feared at the Newport Beach Film Festival.

Have you ever been to York, Maine?

No I haven't! But I've always wanted to.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

I think it was pretty much always inside me. Probably my dads fault.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

As a filmmaker so many things inspire me daily on so many different levels. I just started doing it one day and I keep pushing myself everyday since to get better and better. Sometimes the least expected moment can be the most powerful inspiration of all so I just try to be present and let it come to me now.

What is the best thing about being one?

For me it's the opportunity to create something unique and entertaining that people choose to sit and enjoy. Especially in a day where the choice is all in the hands of the viewer. I really appreciate the chance to move people on an emotional level.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Making movies takes an enormous amount of drive and commitment and can be very frustrating at times but for now I still enjoying everything I get to do. Theres something to be learned from both the good and the bad.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

Stanley Kubrick

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

When I was younger and just starting out there was a lot of fear and mystery as to what to expect from trying to make a movie but now that I've done it a few times I feel so much more educated and confident.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants tomake it in the movie business?

You just have to get out there and do it. Remember it's all in the story so create something that can realistically get made with what you have access to around you and if the story holds up then you should be fine.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

At this point in my life nothing really. Its pretty much all I'm every doing.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

I'm not sure if you'd call them jobs.

How would you describe your film education?

A little of this and a little of that. I've been pretty lucky to meet a lot of great writers and directors over the years and each one has opened my eyes to so many different ways of doing things. I'm still learning and I think I'll always be.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

It's Hollywood. It's the heart of it all.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

It's made it possibly for every filmmaker to get there content out there and be seen. I think it's very inspiring. The Internet has opened a lot of doors, some that aren't even seen yet.

What is the casting process like?

Casting is it own, very unique part of the filmmaking process. For me I try to build on screen relationships and chemistry as well as give the audience visual personalities that are engaging and enjoyable to watch.

You could have any super power. What would it be?

Read minds and fly around obviously.

Would you ever live on a farm?

For sure. Somewhere by Mt. Hood.

What is your opinion on movie remakes?

I'm not a big fan of remakes in general but if done right they can capture the hearts of the modern audience just as the original did in it's time.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

Depends what book.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

For more information on current and upcoming projects got to: http://endurancepictures.com

Thanks for doing the interview. I'm definitely going to check out your production company website. Hope you'll come back and do another interview when "Urban Struggle" is ready for distribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment