Friday, September 2, 2011

Filmmaker Eva Sweeney

[caption id="attachment_1799" align="aligncenter" width="214" caption="Photo Credit: Sara MacFarlane"][/caption]

Eva Sweeney was born with a condition called cerebral palsy, which means that she cannot walk, speak, or use her muscles in conventional ways. She uses a power wheelchair to get around and spells out what she wants to say on a letter board. She requires assistance with everything from eating to communicating. Sweeney got her BA in gender studies from Occidental College in 2008.

What is the current project you are working on?

I’m making a documentary about the relationship between people with disabilities and their aides. It focuses on on my personal experiences and that of another woman with Cerebral Palsy named Allison Gray. The film also provides insightful interviews with the people who have worked for us. This is my first film.

Why did you want to make this documentary?

I am very disheartened by the amount of stories that just focus on the negative aspects of having attendants. While I understand that that aspect is very important to show, their needs to be more of a balance between negative stories and positive stories. I hope my documentary gives another perspective.

How do you handle rejection?

Because of my disability I have always been told “You can’t do...”. Rather than say okay and just give up I use that as a challenge. I have the same view when people say “you know nothing about film making etc.” It fuels me!

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

No. But I’ve always liked telling stories.

 What is the best thing about being one?

Well hopefully, being able to give people a new perspective on something they have never thought of before.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

This will be the first complete film I have worked on. But I have a well known blog called The Deal with Disability where I capture peoples reactions to me ( being non-verbal, using a powerchair and having aides) on film. I’ve been doing that for several years.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

I’m an advocate for disability rights. I also free-lance write for various magazines and websites. I love dogs and enjoy taking my labradoodle Bailey to the dog park.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Yes. I am a free-lance writer and have contributed pieces to several magazines and websites. I also travel the country giving workshops on disability.

 What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

My all time favorite television show is Six Feet Under. I think everything about that show is just brilliant! -From the writing to the cinematography to the acting.

 How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Social media has made it way easier to promote smaller independent films. Almost everyone has a facebook now. So that’s a great way to keep your fans up to date on all of your projects. Also social media reaches a larger audience versus just your home town or personal circle of friends.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

I wouldn’t be able to make my current project without crowdfunding. I think it’s a great way for independent artists to get their ideas made into realities.

Thanks for doing the interview Eva. I wish you all the best with your documentary. I'll be sure to spread the word about "Joy Of Aides".

No comments:

Post a Comment