Monday, May 30, 2011

Interview With The Dummy Gun

Below is my interview with The Dummy Gun, a screenwriting partnership based in New York. They are currently producing a pilot for their spec T.V. series, "New Plains".



Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

Vincent-Yes, since childhood.

Justin-Ever since I started playing around with my first camera-bought with my Bar Mitzvah money.

What inspired you to become a filmmaker?

Vincent-As a kid, storytelling was my life. I watched a lot of movies, read a lot of books, and played with my action figures all day long. I used to pretend my eyes were the camera and my action figures were famous actors who were starring in my "movies." I had a Clark Kent action figure that I used to pretend was Tom Cruise...

Justin-The thought that something i loved to do could actually be my job.

What is the best thing about being one?

Vincent-It's the most visual way to tell your story. Reading books and listening to music allow you to use a lot of imagination, without really seeing the action. However, filmmaking allows the story to come to life before your eyes.

Justin-Knowing that my works will outlast me. This comes with being an 'artist' in any form of the word. We make pieces that people can take in, have an opinion on, then discuss.  This is immortality, and that is appealing to me - as guilty as it makes me feel.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Vincent-It's a rather expensive art form. At least to someone like myself, who graduated from college but 2 years ago.

Justin-Not being taken seriously.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Vincent-Too many to count.

Justin-A good few.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

Vincent-Toss up between David Lynch and Federico Fellini.

Justin-Robert Rodriguez-the man does everything.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

Vincent-I met my girlfriend and some of my very best friends from my film, The Mercury Cycle, which I produced while I was still in college.

Moreover, I'd say it matured me a lot. When you're Producing a film, you have a lot of people relying on you to keep everything secure and moving. The responsibility builds character.

Justin-I look at the world differently as a whole - there are so many ways to answer this question. Every conversation is part of a scene.  I hear bits and pieces of what people are talking about on the streets and with those,  I start to develop elaborate stories around them. I can't walk around without having an idea about a shot or a turning point  or a new character. I see the world as a giant chemical equation and the catalysts are hiding around every corner.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Vincent-Make your own opportunities. If you have the talent, then that's half the battle. The other half is putting forth the effort to use that talent. That's where people sell themselves short. If you want to get something done, you have to do it yourself. I always wanted to make movies. At age 20, when I felt I was finally ready to make one, I did.

Justin-What ever your job is, do it thoroughly, and do it genuinely.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Vincent-American: Blue Velvet, E.T., Rocky, Gone With The Wind, Short Cuts

Foreign: 8 1/2, The Seventh Seal, Brazil, Woman in the Dunes

TV Shows: Twin Peaks, Dark Shadows, Mad Men, The Simpsons

Justin-American-Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, Ghostbusters

Foreign-8 1/2, Trainspotting, The Edukators, Cobra Verde

Television-The Venture Brothers, The Simpsons, Oz, Futurama, Archer

How would you describe your film education?

Vincent-Experience.

As a kid, I enrolled in a bunch of fun classes/summer camps for video and acting. I was writing scripts in Middle School and I shot my first short in High School and it competed in a film festival. After years of writing and shooting my own homemade flicks, I went to Quinnipiac University, where I took up media production. I didn't learn much about film history or filmmaking itself, as I did about different aspects of media.

The real life-changing moment was getting an internship on "The Private Lives of Pippa Lee," when I was a Junior at Quinnipiac. The film needed an intern for the day, so of all people, they called me. The first day was nuts, because I didn't "have" the internship yet. I was just a one-day guy, so I wanted to prove myself worthy of the internship. In that first day, I learned more than most college students do after 4 years of film school. I got the internship and I even met Daniel-Day Lewis and Alan Arkin. All in one day.

From then on, it was all experience. That gig actually got me an offer on even bigger movie, but I turned it down to write and produce my own movie, The Mercury Cycle. I don't regret it one bit.

Justin-A few solid teachers amongst a lot of filler: My high school Television Production teacher really moved me to become a filmmaker, and for that I can only thank him. In college, a few teachers really opened my mind up to what it meant to make a movie - talking about Mise en scene with in a classroom atmosphere really helped me out.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Vincent-New York. You can take that however you'd like.

Justin-INT. DIMLY LIT ROOM-NIGHT

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Vincent-Social media/the internet, has given independent filmmakers a voice. With platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and Ustream, artists can more adequately target appropriate markets for their work. More importantly, it's allowed us all to interact with fans and contemporaries alike. The amount of incredible projects/talent I find on Twitter never ceases to blow my mind.

Justin-The name of the game is now promotion.

What is the casting process like?

Vincent-I think it's fun. You get to meet a lot of awesome people, while seeing your characters come to life. To me, it is the greatest part of pre-production.

You spend a lot of time putting out ads, manually searching for talent, and extending invitations to other talent to come in and audition. After all the scheduling is done, you sit back and have a blast. Just make sure you're filming and editing it all. You tend to get a lot of people who overact by throwing chairs, crying, and hollering obscenities. While they rarely get the part, they make your day a whole lot better!

Justin-Strange, somewhat uncomfortable, but all around enjoyable if you're with the right people.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Vincent-The budget and the names attached, amongst many other things. If I shot a woodpecker in my backyard for three hours, I wouldn't be able to sell it and I'd probably put an early end to my career. But if I shot that same woodpecker, with Brad Pitt standing next to it, by default, that film will attract many more viewers and funders. More viewers/funders = more money aka bigger budget.

That's the negative aspect of it. The positive, is that indie film is more of an interactive community. Indie filmmakers are the ones promoting their work, not some house ad agency. In fact, they are also planning their own business scheme, their own screenings, and their own PR. Because of this, indie filmmakers really strive by helping other indie filmmakers. It's all one big community, built on respect, personable communication, and hard work.

Justin-The industriousness of the production/crew/cast really makes or breaks the flick- you can't just buy your way out of a problem, you need to MacGyver a solution right quick.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be?

Vincent-Gone With The Wind or Aguirre: The Wrath of God.

Justin-Metropolis or Apocalypse Now

You could be any animal. Which would you be?

Vincent-I'd be a monkey! I would hang in the jungle all day, swing from tree to tree, and snack on bananas. Sounds like a great lifestyle to me!

Justin-I want to say "a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm" ...but Poison dart frog

You could have any super power. What would it be?

Vincent-I would love to have Spider-Man's powers. I would hang in Manhattan all day, swing from building to building, and snack on bananas.

Justin-Telekinesis...badass.

Do you believe in life on other planets?

Vincent-The truth is out there...

Justin-I would be silly not to.

Thanks to Vincent and Justin for allowing me to do this interview. For more information about Vincent, Justin and The Dummy Gun please check out the web sites below.

http://www.thedummygun.com/ Justin and Vincent's company

http://www.indiegogo.com/NEW-PLAINS-An-Original-TV-Series Indiegogo crowd funding page for their latest project New Plains.  You can donate now.

http://twitter.com/#!/vgrip Vincent's Twitter page

http://twitter.com/#!/mortimershrew Justin's Twitter page

No comments:

Post a Comment