Monday, May 30, 2011

Interview With Filmmaker Kurt Vincent

What is the current project you are working on?

Arcade:The Last Night At Chinatown Fair.   It’s a documentary that takes place in an old video game arcade in Chinatown, filmed right before it closed down after 60 years of business.  It tells the story of the arcade and the community that hung out there.  Really amazing characters and great stories.



Did you always want to be a filmmaker? 

No, when I was young I wanted to be a horticulturalist.  I was obsessed with hydroponics.  After that I was determined to play professional baseball.  When I was 20 I realized I wanted to make movies.

What inspired you to become filmmaker? 

I fell in love with The Seedling, a surf genre film shot entirely on 16 mm that opened my eyes to a world of independent cinema.

What is the best thing about being one?  

Collaborating with people and exploring people and places that I otherwise wouldn’t have the opportunity.   Also, the moment you finally share your film with an audience is very special.

 What is the worst thing about being one?

The technical problems that inevitably occur.  I shoot and edit my own stuff so I constantly have to stay current with technical details that just don’t interest me.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on? 

2 features.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker? 

I really like John Carpenter, Tarantino, and Frederick Wiseman, and Herzog.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business? 

Don’t think you need to go to film school to make it in the movie business.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Marwencol, True Romance, Sculptor Steinver, Edge of Darkness by the BBC, Game of Thrones, The Warriors, Escape From New York.

 How would you describe your film education? 

I took some film courses while at college, but I my real education came from producing the independent documentary, Out Of Place.   That is where I learned what it takes to make a indie documentary and how to get it out there.  I basically made every mistake you could and that has proven to be the greatest learning experience. I also learned a lot from interning with Albert Maysles.  Now that I am directing my first movie I will be learning many new lessons.

 How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

New York is a city of film lovers.  And all genres.  I can see any type of movie I want at anytime.  Classics, experimental, indies, docs.  It is why I moved here.  I would have been in paradise growing up.

How has social media changed the independent film industry? 

It has made it easier for indie producers to do PR.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?   

Budgets are smaller.

 You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be? 

Easy. Star Wars.  Oh wait, Caddyshack.  Definitely Caddyshack.

You could be any animal. Which would you be?

Easy. A chipmunk.

 You could have any super power. What would it be?

Flight

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kurt Vincent is an independent filmmaker based in Brooklyn, New York. In 2009, Kurt produced and edited the documentary, "Out Of Place", about the underground community of surfers in Cleveland, Ohio. The movie premiered at the 2009 New York Surf Film Festival where it won the Viewers Choice for Best Feature.

Kurt recently had the honor of interning with documentary filmmaker Albert Maysles.

Kurt is making ARCADE with help from Irene K. Chin (producer) and Anthony Cali (associate producer), Gabe Schray (original music), and Korey Vincent (graphic art).

No comments:

Post a Comment