Monday, May 30, 2011

Interview With Writer/Director Edgar Michael Bravo

What is the current project you are working on?

I am working with my producer, John Paul Rice, on the feature film ‘Mother’s Red Dress’ which we will lock picture this July.


Did you always want to be a filmmaker?


No, in high school I was a lead guitarist and vocals in a rock band and really wanted to do that for the rest of my life.  But when I got to college I took some theater classes and fell in love with writing and directing plays.  The college offered basic film classes and after I wrote and directed my first short I was bitten by the film bug.


What inspired you to become filmmaker?

The reactions of the audience from the first shorts I made inspired me to keep going.

I felt a connection with the audience when they laughed or became sad during the film.
 

What is the best thing about being one?

Finishing a film and getting strong emotional reactions from an audience.
 

What is the worst thing about being one?

The time it takes to complete a feature and raising the money to make them.
 

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I’ve directed 5 features and three one hour TV cop shows.

 Who is your favorite filmmaker?

Hal Ashby.


How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

It’s become the center of my life.  Most of my spare time and money goes towards my work.  It’s a true addiction but the people I meet and the rush of getting my films made makes it worthwhile.
 

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Write or direct what you truly love so if you don’t “make it” you’ll feel good about what you created.
What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Some American films I love:  Shampoo, Being There, Precious, Monster, Remains of the Day.  Some Foreign films:  Los Olvidados, Pixote, Bicycle Thief, Salo.

Television shows:  Family Guy, South Park, Sopranos, Dexter


How would you describe your film education?


The time I spent getting my MFA at UCLA was fantastic.  The school supports the individual vision of the student and doesn’t promote a cookie cutter Hollywood type of filmmaker.
  

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Los Angeles has a great pool of actors and crew that love film and will work hard to be involved in projects they believe in.

 How has social media changed the independent film industry?

The gatekeepers are not as strong as they were.  An indie filmmaker can get his/her work written about and seen much easier.  “One Hour Fantasy Girl’ was the first feature John and I produced and it is still getting online reviews 2 years after it was released.

What is the casting process like?

Exhausting but worth it.  I see about 300 actors for each role.  I video tape each audition and then at home I watch the work.  You know you found the right person when you keep coming back to the audition tape and the actor’s work still moves you.

 How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Independent film generally is more daring and a sort of niche market focus.

  You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be?

Citizen Kane.

 You could be any animal. Which would you be?

Dolphin.

 You could have any super power. What would it be?

The power to fly.

Do you believe on life on other planets?

Seems like a very strong possibility—it’s a big universe.

Thanks to Edgar for allowing me to do the interview. For more information on Mother's Red Dress see the links below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/norestrictions/sets/72157626782487862/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnpaulrice/mothers-red-dress-a-social-issue-feature-film?ref=live

1 comment:

  1. Greeeeeeeeat Blog Love the Infomation you have provided me .

    ReplyDelete