Saturday, January 14, 2012

Author E.B. Black



E.B. Black is a dark fantasy writer who lives in Southern California with her boyfriend and two dogs.

You can follow her blog and/or twitter at the links below...

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/writerblack

Blog: http://deathauthor.blogspot.com





What is the current project you are working on?

- I’m finishing up a novel that I call  “Spirit Speaker.”

How do you define success?

- In writing? Well, I think even finishing a story is some form of a success that most people don’t achieve.

How do you handle rejection?

- I try not to take it personally. I’ve handled a lot of rejection in the past in various aspects of my life and it helped me prepare for it, but I think it’s unrealistic to believe that anyone can handle rejection with no emotion one hundred percent of the time. When it gets to me, I talk to people I trust about it privately and they encourage me enough that I bounce back from it within a few hours.

Did you always want to be a writer?

- Off and on I did. I used to write a fake local newspaper for my neighbor when I was a child and read it with her and her husband every day.

What inspired you to become a writer?

- It has been hard for me to know what I wanted to do with my life. I went to and graduated from a community college and got a liberal arts degree because I wasn’t sure what to do. Writing was the one thing I’ve been able to find that I can be motivated and fully dedicated to doing every day.

What is the best thing about being one?

- It helps me sort through my thoughts and feelings. Sometimes I have weird concepts and worries swimming around in my mind and it helps me understand them better. It let’s me express myself and also allows me to escape reality when I’m being overwhelmed by it.

What is the worst thing about being one?

- It’s easy to get trapped at home all the time and lonely.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

- A lot. This is my first novel I’ve completed and also my first short story (one about a ghost that I call “Forgotten”), but I have detailed outlines to several other novels all saved on my computer and several scenes from those stories written out.

 Who is is your favorite author?

- J.K. Rowling because Harry Potter began my love of fantasy.

How has your life changed since you became writer?

- I feel more hopeful about the future. I think if I could make a career out of this, I’d be really happy.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to be a writer?

- Write every day or at least several times a week. It’s what a real writer does. If it’s hard at first, it will become easier. Also, don’t worry if it doesn’t come out how you want to on the first try. It never does, but editing fixes all that as long as you keep writing.

What do you like to do besides writing?

-  I tabletop roleplay, like Dungeons and Dragons and stuff. I also watch girly television shows and movies. I read both novels and comics every chance I get.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a writer?

- I’ve only worked in fast food.

How would you describe your education?

- I have a liberal arts degree. I would like to go back to college, but there’s a lot to sort out before I can do that.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

- My favorite television shows ever are Desperate Housewives and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The writers for those shows are amazing story tellers.

My favorite movie is probably Stardust because its equal parts romance and fantasy, not to mention that it was written by one of my favorite authors: Neil Gaiman.

How would you describe the writing "scene" where you live?

- There is none. I have to drive a long distance to get to any writing groups.

 How has social media changed the publishing industry?

- It has helped me immensely. It’s easier to get my name out there and also to receive help (so I make fewer mistakes) while writing.

Also, self-publishing has become a more viable option that I may consider some day in the future.

Do you believe in life on other planets?

- I believe it’s possible and that if there is life on other planets, I am very eager to interact with it.

 What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

- They can be done really well if made right. I loved the remake of Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory for instance. Johnny Depp is a brilliant actor and I enjoyed it more than the original, even though I grew-up with the original.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

- It’s exciting to see characters come to life on the big screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment