Monday, January 30, 2012

Filmmaker Rick Greenwood



Richard (Rick) Greenwood Jr is a writer/director/producer/cinematographer who  earned his MFA degree in filmmaking from the New York Film Academy in Los Angeles CA in December 2010.  Rick was born and raised in upstate New York and came from a hard working background which not only breeds a great work ethic and determination in him and his  work, but the appreciation and value in all he sought s after and obtains.  He received his BFA in Fine Art from the University at Albany in 2008 before moving to Los Angeles in 2009 to attend grad school and begin his life in filmmaking.

With great visual esthetics, strong story telling and deep characters grounded in everyday hardships, Rickʼs films explore the dark places of the mind and society but through strong characters hope is still found in tragedy and loss.

Hinnon Valley is Rickʼs breakout film which has earned “official selection” at over a  dozen festivals and has won four awards to date. Char Hardin film reviewer for Horrorphilia.com gave the film a 5 out of 5 and listed it as one of the top 15 best short  horror films of 2011, while Gruesome Hertzogg gave it a 9 out of 10. Hinnon Valley was also featured before Scream 4 on itʼs opening weekend in a private theater in upstate New York. With the festival buzz and the amazing feedback before Scream 4 it looks  like the feature version of Hinnon Valley may be possible in the near future. Steps have been made to make Hinnon Valley available to the public for rent and sale by mid year 2012.

“Film is a medium which encompasses every aspect of art, from the visuals and dialogue to the sounds and music it IS a world of it’s own. Having the power to bring someone into a world you create and have them invest their heart and soul into it, living and breathing the characters emotions and situations is the most amazing feeling in the world.”

Richard (RICK) Greenwood Jr

nino2169@aol.com

518-322-9449

www.imdb.com/name/nm4091844

What is the current project you are working on?

In January I will be the Cinematographer for a low budget indie horror feature called “The Rental”. It will be shot in LA over the corse of three weeks. I am really excited to get to camera for my first feature. I also have two Feature scripts that I am pitching right now. The first is a dark noir conspiracy thriller called “Origin”. That one is my baby, but also a very high budget project. The second is a slasher/horror feature tentatively named “The Forgotten”. This script I wrote as lower budgeted project, which is something I am hoping to secure the funding for a go to camera on in the spring. I will direct, write and produce it.

How do you handle rejection?

How do I handle rejection?-haha Well, in this business you have to get used to it really fast. Projects will arise and struggle, then begin to look great, then disappear quicker than the first twinkle of the inception of the idea itself. You canʼt let it get you down, you have to just keep pushing and be resilient-only the strong will survive. Itʼs not always about talent itʼs perseverance, passion and drive that makes the difference in the end...and of course if you have the talent to back it up in the end, then your set.

What does success mean to you?

Finding something in life that will not only support you but inspire and motivate you. Success to me is just being happy and comfortable with your life, job and the people you chose to surround yourself with.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

Actually if you asked me when I was younger what I was going to be when I grew up, I would have said a Rock Star. Iʼve always been drawn to and very good at anything in the arts, drawing, painting, sculpting, writing (poetry, songs and stories),music and of course a love for film. So I guess it just all made sense for me to go into filmmaking, because film is the culmination of all art forms from the writing to sound/music to the visuals, it is the ultimate work of art. Something that is so powerful people can lose themselves in so deeply emotionally, energetically and passionately. It is such an amazing feeling when you can get someone to invest and lose themselves in the world and characters you create.

 What inspired you to become filmmaker?

Itʼs sad, but the catalyst for my move into film was the passing of my father in 2005. My father and I were very much alike, very hard workers, stubborn and willing to sacrifice to get things done. However that sacrifice becomes a downward spiral because you keep putting the things off for yourself to fill the immediate needs of the moment, none of which help put you on the path of your dreams or passions. He used to give me crap all the time to do something with my life and my talents, but I never really listened, in the end he only wanted what was best for me and to not waste myself like he did. The defining message to me was when he died, he died of a heart attack at work, not with his family, not having fun or riding his Harley, but at work- I too was on the fast track of doing the same thing. I was a workaholic, even more so than him and I was wasting my life away. It unfortunately took such a terrible thing to happen for me to finally wake up and do something about my life. So I went back to school and received my BFA in Fine Art and planned on continuing to get my Masters in art as well, that is until I got my hands on a camera some editing software and away I went. I took to it like wildfire and everyone told me this is what I need to do, so I did.  Despite a laundry list of problems I ventured out to LA and went to Grad school at The New York Film Academy at Universal Studios. Things in my personal life were about to get much worse, worse than I could ever possibly imagine, but I loved the school and what I was doing. The average person probably would have given up right at the start, but I am definitely not one to quit. I lost everything, but I persevered and am now at a new beginning in my life. Things are still very uncertain, but at least I am still chasing my dreams.

What is the best thing about being one?

The best thing is that I get to do what I love to do. I mean itʼs extremely challenging, but nothing else can equal the rewards of seeing your work up on the big screen and have people really enjoy it. I am honored that I have had the opportunity to work with and meet some great and talented people, people I hope to continue growing and working with for years to come-and the list grows with every production.

What is the worst thing about being one?

The worst thing would have to be the money. Unless your independently wealthy or have a financial backer of your own, youʼre out there fighting and clawing to get someone to believe in your work, your project and most importantly you. It is very trying and I see how people could take the rejection personally, but you can never give up.
What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Wow, including school Iʼd say probably around 50 or so in all different positions- everything from directing to grip, gaffing, acting, AD, producing etc...Iʼve done it all.
Is there a sequel planned for "Hinnon Valley"?

Since Hinnon valley is a short Iʼve never planned any sort of sequel to it, however I would like to do a feature version of it hopefully in the near future with Alexis Zibolis returning as the lead character.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

I donʼt have a single favorite filmmaker but I like Martin Scorsese, Stanley Kubrick, Alex Proyas, Peter Jackson, Mel Gibson, Wes Craven, Clive Barker, Frank Capra, Orson Wells, Guillermo del Toro, Quentin Tarantino and many many more.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

The last couple years have been really tough. I have given up a lot for this dream and I am hoping my gamble pays off. I can honestly say though, that for the first time in my life I am doing something that I truly enjoy and it makes me happy to do it.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Do it because you love it, not because you want to be rich and famous. It is a very tough industry where the majority unfortunately fail. Talent will only get you so far in this carnival of favorites, friends and favors-hard work, a relentless drive and passion will make the difference in the end. Surround yourself with great people who are as driven and passionate as you and make it happen, donʼt wait for someone to do it for you.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

I love watching and playing Hockey and Football. I also enjoy playing music, drawing/painting, watching movies and am a car fanatic.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

I have had a ton of jobs. I am a workaholic, so I buried myself in work at a multitude of different jobs. Let me see, I started as a paper boy, then had my own landscaping business, did carpentry and finishing work with my father, auto mechanics, kennel manager and vet assistant, cook, server, bartender, yogurt server, stock boy at a grocery store, free lance art, commercial cleaner, maintenance and a bunch of other things Iʼm probably forgetting. Told you Iʼve done a lot...keeps me well-rounded haha.
 What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Some of my favorite films are Braveheart, Forest Gump, Lord of The Rings (all three), Exorcist, The Shining, Nightmare on Elm Street(original), The Crow, Seven, Double Indemnity and so many more. Foreign films, I loved The Artist, Irreversible, The Orphanage, I Saw The Devil and a lot of the J-hor stuff. I donʼt watch much T.V. but shows I liked were The X Files, that 70ʼs Show and Quantum Leap.

How would you describe your film education?

I earned my Masters degree from the New York Film Academy at Universal Studios in Los Angeles CA. I am truly happy and proud of my experience there. They have a great all inclusive hands on program that teaches you so much at such a quick pace-it is truly a trail by fire. The added benefit of their program is that not only do you learn directing, but ever aspect of filmmaking, from producing to grip work. Of course like any program you get out of it what you put into it, but I know for me I can walk onto any film set and do any position they need me to do, makes me much more employable when the directing gigs arenʼt there.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

Anything it takes to get it done! If everyone is in and excited about a project I am all for it, when power struggles and egos get in the way then itʼs not worth it. Indie Go-Go and Kickstarter have allowed and supported many people who otherwise may have never had a chance to get their work realized, for that I think itʼs a great thing.

 How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Well unfortunately due to the economy and tight fisted executives everywhere I think the mainstream film industry is suffering in its creativity and willingness to try something new. Studios want a guarantee that they are not only going to make back their money, but also make a large profit from their investments. Thatʼs why they keep banking their money into remakes and book adaptations, stuff that already has a branding or label to it. Even though I love the Lord of The Ring movies they are a prime example of taking something that already has a huge following and fan base from the books and translating it to the big screen. No matter what, the film will get a huge draw because it already has a name. Adversely- independent films have much more freedom, but they too still want to invest in projects that have a greater potential upside, because those who have money want to keep it. The strength of independent films are the people that make them. It is a very devout talented hard working group that can make things happen out of nothing. You have to pull favors and utilize your assets to make it happen, but in the end you still unfortunately need money.

You could go back in time and see any film being made. Which film would it be and why?

Never really thought about that before, but I guess I would say “ Touch of Evil”  by Orson Wells. I would have loved to see that amazing opening shot come together and see a master filmmaker at work.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

Off the top of my head...”victims arenʼt we all”...”look what youʼve done to my sheets” (The Crow), “I have exorcized the demon!” (Ace Ventura) or “I hate to see you go, but love to watch you leave” (Face Off). When you get my brother and I together all we do is quote movies, so I could probably go on all day-haha. These are the first few I thought of, The Crow because I love that movie and could probably quote the entire film, Ace Ventura cause itʼs hysterical and I use it all the time, Face Off just cause itʼs a great saying...and Iʼm an ass man lol.

Do you believe in life on other planets?

I think youʼd have to be ignorant not to think there is life outside of the planet Earth. We are such a small speck in the large picture, I think itʼs complete arrogance to think we are the only ones.
 What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

Like I brought up with mainstream filmmaking, it is now just a part of the world. On the whole, I am against remakes. Most remakes in my opinion lose the essence of the originals as it tries to take something that was made for a different audience and time and twist, mash and distort it to hopefully appeal to a whole new audience-always dilutes it(Nightmare on Elm Street/Red Dawn/Arthur/Conan the Barbarian-horrible...Girl With The Dragon Tatoo/Dawn of The Dead-good). Sequels can be cool and fun especially  when its continuing a film and/or character in more journeys, but unfortunately they never seem to know when enough is enough. Anyone up for Rocky 87?
What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

Book to move adaptations are tough, you will never truly satisfy all parties. Books are a great resource with amazing stories and characters and often have the potential of making great movies, however you can never fit everything from a book into a movie. So the challenge comes to the filmmakers, especially the writers and directors. They have to pull the necessities of the story out and decide what to leave behind-which will always disappoint a true fan of the book. In my opinion directors such as Kubrick with the Shining and Jackson with TLOR and The Lovely Bones did an amazing job of finding the core and heart of the stories and making amazing movies out of them. Some of the best and some of the worst movies have been adapted from books, I guess itʼs just a matter of who the filmmakers are.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

I would like to thank you John for showing an interest in me and my work and for giving me this great opportunity. I hope to have more work to talk to you in the very near future about :) and thanks for everyone who reads this and finds something in it that either intrigues, entertains or enrages you-lol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for doing the interview Rick.   I'm a fan of you and your work. I enjoyed "Hinnon Valley" very much. Keep me posted regarding  HV as a feature film and your other projects. Also let me know when the film  “The Rental” will be available to rent ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment