Thursday, January 19, 2012

Filmmaker Arthur Luhn



 

Arthur Luhn was born in Aspen, Colorado and moved to Vermont with his mother when he was 3. In Vermont, he began attending the Austine School for the Deaf. It was at this time he discovered making movies at the age of 7 or 8 through being exposed to a 8mm film camera his stepfather had. It was not long before he was wreaking havoc on the family household, making short movies ranging from horror (which left a front screen door destroyed and his mother furious) to comedy (which took up an entire garage, locking out the cars for a long time).  The introduction of a VHS movie camera into the household only made things worse.

 

With his transfer to the Brattleboro Union High School, the household became a lot more sane, as Arthur’s passion in filmmaking waned. From high school he went on to attend Boston University where he intended to major in Archaeology. He found the mathematic and ethical aspect of the field very tedious and boring. That, along with the death of a close family member, inspired him to change his major to religion and philosophy where he studied extensively and read voraciously in the fields of philosophy, mythology, religion, and psychology, earning a degree in comparative religions study.

 

It was not until a few years after graduating that his interest in filmmaking suddenly surged with the purchase of a drastically marked down video camera at a department store. It was not long before he was making movies at a furious pace, starting with his first short film, “Destination Eyeth” which was featured on PBS’s “History Through Deaf Eyes” that aired nationwide.  He went on to write and direct his first full length feature, “The Golden Legacy” a year later and finished the film in two years. This was followed by “Conned” his biggest and most audacious project to date, taking three years to make.  Arthur now resides on the south shore in the Greater Boston area and is on work on his third feature film, a psychological thriller that takes place in a quiet sleepy town.

What is the current project you are working on?

We just finished “Conned” an action-comedy indie film that’s been making the rounds on the festival circuit with tremendous success. It’s won a few awards- best film, best director, best DP, an audience award for best film, and it’s been nominated for best original screenplay. Right now I’m working on a webisode series called “Lil Miss Repo” and working on the next feature, a psychological thriller that I hope to get going this winter.

How do you define success?

Doing what you love to do and getting paid to do it.

How do you handle rejection?

I just let it roll off my back. I don’t keep count or hold grudges. Getting rejected isn’t a bad thing in my mind, anyway, because it means you’re trying to get somewhere. I think it’s worse to not get rejected because that means you’re not even trying.

Did you always want to be involved with the film industry?

I don’t think I see it that way- I just want to make movies, whether or not that stipulates that one be involved with an “industry.”

What inspired you to become involved with the film industry?

My inspirations are driven by movies and making them.

What are some of the best things about the industry?

I don’t know- I haven’t been involved to the extent to be able to give a satisfactory answer.

What are some of the worst things about it?

I guess I can’t really remark on this either. I’m not really qualified.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I’ve done two features, working on my third now. I’ve done almost 10 short films I think- lost count there.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

I especially admire those filmmakers who I believe represent the next generation and are always pushing the envelope: Christopher Nolan, Guy Ritchie, to name a few.

How has your life changed since you became involved with the film industry?

I’ve become more broke.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to start a career in the entertainment field?

Make sure it’s something you absolutely love doing and wouldn’t rather be doing something else, because you’re going to pay for it with your life.

What do you to do when you're not on set?

What anyone else would do with their free time, I guess.

How would you describe your film education?

Never-ending. I’m always learning, trying new things, studying other filmmakers, or continually reading up on it.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

I don’t have a favorite film- it’s like asking me what’s my favorite snowflake.. there’s just so many movies out there that I admire and wouldn’t want to leave out if I had to pick one or even a top ten. I don’t watch TV so I’m extremely incompetent there, I’m afraid.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

A long stretch of white beach giving way to clear blue seas, somewhere in the Carribean. Two leaning palm trees with the requisite hammock and also a surfboard nearby.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

It’s given indie films a fighting chance for recognition. Levels out the playing field, it seems.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

I think it’s good- it’s a good tool, but like any other method of raising funds, you have to put in the work.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Well the subject matter is of course far more electic, but I don’t see any particular advantage one has over the other. It all comes down to how good your story is.

You could go back in time and see and film being made. Which film would it be and why?

Star Wars. I know by now it’s beyond cliché, but at the time it was a very ground-breaking film. To paraphrase Monty Python’s saying: “And now for something completely different.” I think that just captures it so well. I’d like to have been there to see how the creative process was coming together and how various people were reacting to it. I know a lot of people were shaking their heads at it at the time, and only Alan Ladd jr. was nodding his head at this spectacular other-worldly vision.

Do you believe in life on other planets?

I believe in Planet Eyeth!

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

I don’t really have one. Too many of them in my head.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

Never really been a fan of them except in rare cases where sequels are justified and well-done, and even sometimes better, as in the case of the “Empire Strikes Back.”

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

If it’s done well, then those are fine by me but you rarely if ever see that. The creative space that a book gives you is much more time-friendly and more flexible than a film which is far more constricting because you’ve got a certain time limit, so there’s a lot of compression involved. Sometimes it’s done well, sometimes it’s not. “No Country for Old Men” was done pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment