Saturday, December 10, 2011

Author Regan Black



Regan Black writes action packed paranormal and urban fantasy novels so readers can savor a fantastic escape from the daily grind. Raised in the Midwest and California, she now lives with her family in the South Carolina Lowcountry where the abundance of history and legend fuels her imagination. Experience a Regan Black adventure at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords or your favorite online retailer. You can keep up with Regan at her website: ReganBlack.com, on twitter @ReganBlack and on Facebook.

What is the best thing about being a writer?

For me, it's working in my jammies. Just kidding. A little. Having a flexible work schedule and being able to work anywhere are the better, more accurate answers about why I love being a writer. The absolute best part is being able to make things up and tell stories that sweep readers away for a fabulous escape from reality.

Some days that means I'm in my silly Mickey Mouse sweats until noon, other days it means I'm working while waiting on carpool or running other errands for my family. People don't always understand, though, if they knock on my door at noon and I'm in fuzzy slippers and sweats that I've actually put in five or six hours of work already.

What is the worst thing about being one?

That flexibility I mentioned? It's a double edged sword. It takes discipline and time to create a writing habit in order to stay productive in this business. Excuses are easy to come by, as is the tempting voice of denial that you can take today off and make it up tomorrow.

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

I like to advise aspiring writers on two points. First, write! It sounds simple but it's not. If you're serious about producing any kind of written work, you must make time for your craft daily. I'm a firm believer that the more you write (with the right support) the better you get at the writing.

Secondly, I always tell writers to learn what your strengths are and use them. If someone hands out the same topic to fifty writers, there will be fifty unique responses to that topic.

Everyone is unique, everyone has a skill or talent or perspective that sets them apart. Find what that is for you and then follow it with everything you've got.

When I was starting out an author asked me what I was writing when the words were flowing effortlessly. I admitted it was pretty dark and edgy stuff. She looked me in the eye and said, "Good! Go write that." I did and that book became Justice Incarnate, my first sale and the beginning of my Shadows of Justice series.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Published and unpublished? Counting short stories, but not blogs? ;) I'd say 21 novels, novellas, and shorts, give or take a project. I've also been involved with four separate blog launches which requires creating content and technological things I'd rather forget.

How has social media changed the publishing industry?

I believe social media is also a double edged sword. It's wonderful in the way it helps writers connect with readers as well as each other. But it can really steal quality writing time - if you let it. I think it's a hard lesson everyone learns in their own way, and a situation every writer copes with differently.

As far as the effect on publishing, social media has been a boon in accessiblity. It's great being able to spread the word and reach thousands of people in a short amount of time, with just 140 characters (to use twitter as an example). For publishers who understand how to interpret the data, social media can be an effective tool to bring a writer or a book to the forefront of any genre.

Additionally, social media allows writers to target their message to readers who share their interests. It allows writers, no matter how they're published, to reach their audience and interact with them. Creating those niche connections, developing that word of mouth momentum, is invaluable for developing a loyal fan base.

1 comment: