Monday, December 12, 2011

Interview With The Creator of Igor's Lab

Igorslab is dedicated to all things horror, with a spotlight on independent horror makers from films to toys. We try to get exposure for those films that might others wise not see the light of day by the big websites and bring horror fans some independent gems.

 

What is the current project you are working(and/or promoting) on?

All my attention now a day other than my real job is igorslab.com. I and a few friends have been trying to get the site together to inform people who visit the site about a lot of the indie horror stuff out there as well as the main stream horror related stuff.

How do you define success?

Success to me is defined by the ability to make people aware of something they might not have known about and at the same time make a living with something you love to do. I think we are at the awareness stage, but we are nowhere close to the making a living stage.

How do you handle rejection?

Rejection is a part of life. The only thing you can do is learn from it and try to fix your approach for the next time around. The key is to keep trying.

What inspired you to create "Igor's Lab"?

I have always loved horror films and would voice my opinion on other horror sites, but it was my brother who started a Nerd blog that got me thinking I should start a horror blog and share what I enjoy about horror. It is a creative outlet for me also. We do video reviews about horror films that are fun and it is a good way to keep in contact with old friends.

What is the best thing about creating a blog?

Meeting a lot of cool horror makers from movies, to comic, etc. Hearing from people that they know the website and we turned them on to a movie they would have never discovered. Being invited to screenings or getting screeners, going to different horror related events with access I wouldn’t normally get.

What is the worst thing about creating one?

The worst thing about a blog is hurting someone’s feelings when writing a review about a film that you did not enjoy. We try to take into account the films budget and all the variables, but sometimes a film is so bad you can either not write it up or say what you feel about the movie and warn people what they can expect.

What is the estimated number of projects you have showcased on your blog?

Wow, it has to be in the thousands and we haven’t really been around that long.

Who is your favorite horror filmmaker?

That is a good question, I am a zombie fan so I am a big George Romero fan, even though some of his Dead films were disappointing, but DAWN OF THE DEAD is my favorite film. There are a lot of great horror directors out there, but Romero would be my favorite.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to become a blogger?

It will take up a lot of your time and if you have a girlfriend or wife make sure they are supportive or else your relationship will be in trouble. If you are going to do a blog be yourself, write about what you want to write about and don’t worry about negative criticism.

What do you like to do besides blogging?

I am a sports fan, so I watch a lot of sports and I am a big gamer, so if I am not logging I am playing some LEFT 4 DEAD with friends on the Xbox.

How would you describe your film education?

I am just a horror fan that has watched a lot of horror films. I did not go to school where I can break down every aspect of a film, I guess I can, but in my own way and that is how I write.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

American Films: Dawn of the Dead, The Exorcist, Evil Dead, Dale & Tucker Vs Evil. Foreign: I Saw The Devil, Audition, Rec. Current TV: The Walking Dead, American Horror Story and hopefully Remains.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

I live in NYC so there is a lot happening here with the different type of film festivals, conventions, dark art galleries and meet ups, that the horror scene is very much alive here. There are some indie film makers shotting stuff here, Troma is based here and a few indie labels are around the area.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

It has definitely been very helpful for me to find those movies, it sometimes takes a lot of research to find them, but sometime you find them by visiting something similar to it or seeing a tweet from someone about a film. If marketed right social media can propel a indie film into the spotlight, they are great avenues to get the word out to your core audience.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Budget is a big thing between Hollywood and Indie, but indies have no restrictions. The indie filmmaker makes the movie he envisions, where Hollywood is all about profits. Don’t get me wrong there are some good Hollywood horror films, but the Hollywood big wigs don’t care bout the films and even if the director does, unless you a big name director, the studio controls the film. Indie films, even though there might be some issues with production value, they are giving us what they want.

You could go back in time and see and film being made. Which film would it be and why?

Night if the Living Dead, because it is such a historic horror film. It was an independent horror film that ushered in a whole new horror genre with Romero’s idea of a zombie. That film to me it is the perfect indie horror film.

Do you believe in life on other planets?

I won’t dismiss it, the universe is huge, but I don’t know if there are Aliens visiting the planet or anything like that.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

I really hate remakes, even though some of them are really good, I just can’t believe there are no original ideas out there that we have to remake a films. Also, some of the films they choose to remake make no sense. As far as sequels again some films sequels are good, but Hollywood only really makes a sequel to make money off of it. Do we really need that many Saw movies, No, but Hollywood sees the dollar signs and will kill a franchise for that extra buck.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

I think some of them are good, but it is hard to adapt a movie into an hour & a half film, when you know it will take three hours to make a proper adaptation of the book.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Support independent film, comics, music, etc. There are a lot of indie horror makers out there that put out good stuff and they are in the game for the love of horror and not the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment