Monday, December 12, 2011

Filmmaker Rose Kelly





What is the current project you are working on?

I am beginning production on a feature film Delora and my book of short stories, Shorter Than The Wick, is coming out later this month. Also, I am just now finishing up post on a feature, The Perfect Crime so keep an eye out for it.

I am also finishing up the first season of Happy Meal, a fun web show.

How do you define success?

Being able to tell stories with as much ease as filmmaking allows. I don’t believe success is a number in a bank account but a freedom to do what one loves.

How do you handle rejection?

Having been rejected in almost every medium I have simply learned to keep getting on with whatever it I was looking for permission to do. Don’t give rejection a chance to stop you, plunge on through and make something.

Did you always want to be filmmaker?

Yes, I was making film projects for as long as I can remember. I made my many siblings act in my silent films when I was little, which were always rather dark and horrified my parents.

What inspired you to become a filmmaker?

I have a slightly insane need to tell stories; to show my little slice of the world through film. In fact I wake up with whole films in my head, down to lighting and camera angle sometimes. I have found I have a very bossy subconscious.

What is the best thing about being one?

Learning to let go of any fear about being out of your comfort zone. In my films, because they are no-budget indie projects, I end up doing the jobs of a dozen crewmembers and have learned to do the best I can even when I’m well out of my comfort zone.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Trying to make so many varying conflicts work. It can be immensely stressful to get locations, equipment, actors and crew all together for the right days of shooting. I shot my first feature in a week and would never recommend that to anyone. You really have to find your limits and push through them without breaking down that love of filmmaking that got you started on the project.
What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

About 10, more if I go back to film school and count all those short films.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

Stanley Kubrick. If I died while on an acid trip and went to heaven that’s what it would look like.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

Well I’d say it leaves you with a lot less free time. But it has made me see the world in a wonderfully creative light. Every little thing in the mundane journey gets to be so much more interesting.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Don’t ever assume you’re going to “make it”. You probably won’t become the next big director or actor. But if you love filmmaking do it for the passion and work continuously.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

I write and edit an online magazine, ICitizenmag.com. And I enjoy traveling around Europe when I can, especially if it involves pastries.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Yes, I worked in marketing and web design.

How would you describe your film education?

I got a BA with a minor in film production in SoCal (Southern California). But mostly what I learned that has proven useful has been from on the job training. Throw me in with a tank of sharks and I’ll learn to make sushi really quick.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

I really like What Dreams May Come and 2001. Both for the reason that they are unique in their visual style.

Walking dead and anything Sci-Fi I’m happy to watch. I am a hardcore nerd (much like a Jumbo Shrimp) and yell at the TV as often as possible. I loved Star Gate Universe before it got canceled, TJ’s baby… nooo…….

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Rather disorganized but with a few really wonderful people who I enjoy working with.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Well it has given indie filmmakers the chance to get seen, to be heard of. I think it has also caused a bit too much background noise, which can hinder a really strong community of social filmmakers. We tend to be rather cloistered because of the small world that is indie filmmaking in most towns so social media can also be wonderful in learning about what other people are striving towards in film.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

I think crowd funding can be great. But I always say that you should make the film you can now. Most films go over budget and over schedule so trying to put all those eggs in one basket of funds from crowdfunding can be a bit of a way to shot yourself in the foot down the line.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Independent film is more about telling the story at hand. The people that work on these films do so because of love for the art form or the tale to be told. There’s a deeper sense of community than you would get from working on a mainstream film.

Also, I think the stories that get made with indie film are more complex in their depiction of humanity’s flaws and humor.
You could go back in time and see and film being made. Which film
would it be and why?

You could go back in time and see and film being made. Which film would it be and why? 

The labyrinth, solely so I could convince Jim Henson to hire me and grope David Bowie.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

Hey, even multi-millionaires need to pay their mortgages and harem of dragon blood prostitutes so I’m all for them.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

Hard to do. A book is such a different medium to work with. The length and ability to create within the reader’s mind will almost always fall flat when you try to adapt them to the screen. I prefer mini series because they allow for the tone to be better set than a book to film adaptation would.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Please check out my web shows at youtube.com/nueverpublishing. We’ve got two shows right now and are getting ready to shoot two more next year. As well as the second seasons for both shows.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview and very informative. You make it almost like I know you.
    Good luck on your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Kelly is as entertaining quirky as she is bright. Great interview! Go Rose, GO!

    ReplyDelete