Monday, October 3, 2011

Filmmaker Carlton Grooms



Carlton Grooms is a short filmmaker and the editor of the island focused travel blog, Coastlines & Tan Lines™[http://www.coastlines-tanlines.com]. He produced his latest book, "Portraits of Our World" after a one year trip around the world. He is the founder of Conch Republic Bikinis, as well as a former Naval Aviator. Carl led the business development of all Hong Kong Disney hotels and restaurants for Walt Disney Attractions. At last count Carl has visited 53 countries. He has run with the Bulls in Pamplona, braved the highest bungee jump in the world in South Africa and is an ultra-marathon runner. He holds an MBA from the Wharton School at The University of Pennsylvania.

What is the current project you are working on?

There are always a series of ongoing projects occurring, each in different stages. As a short filmmaker, I release new work 2-3 times per week. To keep that pace I have to be thinking a month or more in advance. The vast majority of my projects occur in the Caribbean which requires an additional layer of complexity.

My largest current project is trying to secure a consulting position with Tommy Bahama Group as their first ever Rumologist. This might not sound like a filmmaking position but it will have a major and positive impact for me. First, it will assure additional funds with which to continue my efforts. Second, it will allow me to travel to more destinations in order to make more short films. Lastly, as an island expert, the position further builds my credentials giving my films a broader audience.

I am most excited about a project I've just started, it represents my most ambitious work yet. I have been invited to produce a 30 minutes documentary on the 1902 all wooden Schooner, The Coral. She was built in England and has a long storied history. She has recently returned to the Caribbean for refit from South Africa. I am following her progress over the coming months to climax at the Antigua Classic Yacht races in April where I will finish the film as she is racing as she was built to do.

How do you handle rejection?

Rejection never really bothers me. As an independent I continually press forward and stay surrounded by positive people. I believe in my path and genuinely enjoy what I do, which allows me to not question my choices regardless of what other people think.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

No, it found me. I am a former Naval Aviator, which is what I always wanted to do. I flew off of aircraft carriers and had the time of my life. Unfortunately it couldn't last forever. Only in the past few years have I found film. I took a trip around the world for a year with my wife and kids and produced a still photography book called, "Portraits of Our World". We are using the profits to build schools in Africa. When this project was completed I was wanting more than just shooting stills, that's when motion became the obvious next choice.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

It is with great fortune that I get to travel and live the life of adventure that I do. Filmmaking is the most immediate and obvious way for me to share this back with the world.

What is the best thing about being one?

I get to tell stories and share the adventures of my daily life. The creative outlet and personal reward see even my most simple work being watched motivates me to jump out of bed and get to work on the next project.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

In the past past three months alone I have released over 20 shorts.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

Writing is a core touch stone for me. Often on my travels I split my coverage between short films and writing. I shoot a lot of still images to accompany my writing. As a story teller I think you need to be a good writer if you hope to produce an entertaining film.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Countless! I am a former Naval Officer, I helped build Hong Kong Disney as a former executive there. I was CFO of a major internet broadcasting company, President of a Swiss defense finance company and CEO of a creative firm. The need to focus has never seemed to occur to me. That said, I am very happy with where I am now at and imagine I'm doing what I am meant to do.

How would you describe your film education?

Self taught. I have made and continue to make all the ridiculous mistakes that this entails. I shoot a lot, make mistakes a lot and release a lot all with obvious flaws in order to improve.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Sarasota, Florida has a building and increasingly respected film festival each year. We draw both major named actors and directors all the way to screenings of shorter independent work. I would say for a small town we are very lucky.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

I don't think you can be successful in this industry without learning/knowing/practicing social media daily. You must have a strategy and work the strategy. I use Twitter multiple times a day to drive followers to Facebook. I use FB and G+ to drive followers to my blogs or to where my films are being hosted and shown and use the films to show my next (and hopefully larger) projects what I can do.

You could go back in time and see and film being made. Which film would it be and why?

Star Wars. The level of technology, creativity and vision it took to create at that time with such limited tools speaks volumes to the genius not only of George Lucas but to the team that surrounded him.

Do you believe in life on other planets?

Yes.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning" - Apocalypse Now.

I used to fly jets for living. As a former Bombardier I loved smelling the mix of jet fuel in the air and the gym locker room stench of the cockpit mixing in my nostrils. Good times.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

As a former Disney guy I have to agree with Walt on this one. Movies are meant as creative works of art. Walt frowned on sequels because he wanted to bring his best and new creative effort each and every time. Remakes are more in a gray area for me. After all, most stories or story lines have been explored at some point in history, maybe the setting is new, the subjects different, but the thread is there. Given the correct team remakes can be a wholly new creative effort in my opinion.

Anything else you wish to add?

I am very excited about working exclusively with Video DSLR now. After many discussions with Canon I settled on the Canon 7d. I use the Canon 1Ds Mk III for stills but it doesn't shoot video. As I own most every pro lens for the later camera I now have the ability to be super creative with my available glass on my motion shoots.

Recently I sold and re-invested completely in this setup and could not be happier. As I travel the Caribbean and often shoot with no, or a very small crew, this setup is lightweight and high power. Often I edit in the field with Apple's newest Mac Book Air, which I find runs Final Cut X (yes I use it and like it) just fine. Sometimes I release simple work directly from the field as well. This whole new setup has made my life easier, my work noticeably better and brought the many more positive reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment