Saturday, October 22, 2011

Suzzanne Cromwell Co-Founder Of Lowell Film Collaborative

[caption id="attachment_2086" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="Photo Credit: Adrien Bisson"][/caption]

Originally from Houston, Texas, and now living in Lowell, MA, by way of Boston, Suzz's love of film started in infancy, when her father, a projectionist in the Air Force, and her movie-loving stay-at-home mom, used to spend family time together up in the projection booth with Suzz soundly sleeping by the humming projection system. Today, Suzz relishes the arts — as co-founder of the Lowell Film Collaborative (along with her husband, Brett Cromwell), she dreams of owning her own indie movie house wherever she and her love of movies will be welcomed. For now, she’s content to host film screenings WITHOUT a permanent venue in downtown Lowell all out-of-pocket (and with generous donations) as part of her mission to bring a cinematic presence to the City. These events take place ‘guerilla style’ in cafes, auditoriums, outdoor parks, museums, art galleries, in historic buildings, and even on federal National Park property. A past vocal performance major at Berklee College of Music, Suzz is positive that someday she will get the chance to Welcome Visitors To the Movies full-time in her own indie film house, but right now, she’s embracing her community film work as a passionate, part-time, self-funded, side project. She welcomes support from anyone interested in helping to bring film to this part of the Merrimack Valley! Info also at Lowellfilmcollaborative.org

What is the current project you are working on?

To be honest, each film screening we host is its own project, and we’ve got fabulous events on the horizon, starting on October 18 with “Lost in La Mancha,” the 2002 Pepe & Fulton documentary on Terry Gilliam’s tragic, failed attempt to bring the story of Don Quixote to the screen. Our highly anticipated screening of “Of Dolls & Murder” is on October 25, and we’re thrilled to be welcoming director Susan Marks all the way from Minnesota -- it’s an honor for us to have filmmakers at our screenings! We’re also working on a November 17 showing of “Work of 1000,” the inspirational documentary on Marion Stoddart, and finally in December, “Adventures in Plymptoons!,” the new documentary on legendary animator (and one of my personal favorite artists) Bill Plympton. That’s looking to be a HUGE event the first weekend of December with Bill HIMSELF as our special guest as well as director Alexia Anastasio. That’s going to be incredible -- meeting Bill will be a thrill!

How do you handle rejection?

For us, rejection is not getting a good crowd of attendees to our film events. The rejection isn’t personal or overt, but when you work hard at curating films, coordinating publicity, and pounding the pavement to get the word out, you expect folks to come out for an evening of great film. But when the big crowd doesn’t show, you just have to swallow it, and move on to the next event. It’s a disappointment, but we have to believe in our OWN passion for what we’re trying to do here in Lowell and the audience we’re trying to build. It’s also all about the FILM EXPERIENCE, and no matter how many people we have taking in cinema, they’re sure to have a magical motion picture experience because we’re there to welcome them into that world.

What inspired you to become involved in the film industry?

While I don’t have a filmmaking background (my education is in music performance), film in general has played a huge part in my life as I am the product of two parents who are remarkable film nerds, and I say that with PRIDE! My father was a projectionist on an Air Force base in Dover, Delaware -- I was born on that base, and I love it when my mom reminds me of how she used to sit with me up in the projection booth as a newborn, right near the projector. I love hearing that, as I can picture me as a small baby falling asleep to that beautiful ‘tck tck tck tck’ sound of the machine -- it’s a sound you don’t hear anymore, and it’s a sad thing. Growing up, we would have a weekly movie night at our home -- my dad would set up our 16mm projector and a big screen in our living room and we’d watch all sorts of things, including old Disney classics, obscure shorts, B&W animated features from the 30s, or classic films like “Tangier” or “Pal Joey.” I adored seeing Frank Sinatra on screen, so we had a lot of Frank. My family also loves horror, so we’d watch some great classic horror stuff. We owned many of these films, including some Laurel & Hardy flicks. I grew up with those guys, as well as Abbott & Costello. GREAT stuff. Those memories are my touchstone, and I’m 110% certain they’re what inspired me to adore film the way I do, most especially indie and foreign film, given the fluff that Hollywood is churning out these days. The days of the great Hollywood film seem so far away.

What is the best thing about the film industry?

That sense of artistic community. That feeling of discovery. The incredible passion and drive filmmakers and actors have. The STORYTELLING. The sensory & emotional overload. That primal feeling of being in a dark room alongside other like-minded people sharing someone’s onscreen dream or vision. At my core, I’m an obsessed film-goer, so these are all the titillating things that get my juices flowing. It’s the effect a film can have on us deep inside, or the LACK of effect, and the wonder of that. Like other film hounds, I’ve left a theater feeling empty or unchanged or unimpressed
after watching a film, and that’s fascinating to me as well.

What is the worst thing about it?

The sad fact that there are thousands of stories out there to tell, and thousands of storytellers. And they just don’t have the money, support, opportunity, or resources to get that story to the public. I suppose it’s the state of the arts and artists in general, the backwards way of the world where beauty and creativity are at the front of the bus while war & conflict are the popular assholes in the back of the bus. Imagine the POWER & positivity the arts could hold over our societies if that reality was different.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

If you consider our ‘projects’ hosting our own local film events, then I’d say we’ve screened over 70 films in the last 3 years, and all of that mostly out-of-pocket. AND without a bona fide theater or permanent venue. It exhausts me to think of it! But we’ve had an absolute blast.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

I’m definitely not alone in this, but Herzog & Bergman hold a big place in my heart. I also know that if I’m watching a Wes Anderson, Larry Fessenden, or PT Anderson film, chances are I’m gonna be blown away. On the flip side, I long to dive into a lot more Cassavetes.

How has your life changed since you became involved in the film industry?

For us, hosting film screenings in Lowell has energized our relationship with the community. How could it not? Bringing people together on a regular basis for ANY sort of reason, is going to be rich and rewarding. Especially in film. We’ve made amazing friends, strengthened relationships, AND forged local partnerships along the way while winning people over to the beauty and mystery of Cinema. Its rooted us to our current home -- whatever the future holds, we’re enjoying this journey. We’ve also met incredible, inspiring filmmakers, writers and cast over the past 3 years. We’re proud to say in our case, great film and great audience go hand in hand.

What do you like to do besides running the Lowell Film Collaborative?

Watch movies! Sincerely. That’s what I love to do when I’m not planning film events. Researching, discovering, and watching film, of all sorts. Second to that would be TALKING about film, which I can do incessantly. Watch out if you have me sitting next to you at the dinner table!

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to create the Lowell Film Collaborative?

Working on the Lowell Film Collaborative is my passionate side-gig, and a non-paid one of course. I presently work for the Special Events Office for the City of Lowell and my past jobs included working 20 years for the Disney Company and over 20 years for the Boston Museum of Science. I adore the public and meeting people, so all of these job positions, past and present, quench that thirst. Museum work in particular is incredibly rewarding -- Boston has a stellar science museum!

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

AMERICAN:

“The Day the Earth Stood Still” (1951)

“The Women” (1939)

“The Big Lebowski”

“Dear Zachary”

“Barbarella”

“Star Wars” (its gotta be the original, uncut & untouched)

“Grand Hotel” (1932)

“Sideways”

“Yellow Brick Road”

“Creepshow”

“The Godfather”

“Iron Giant”

“Local Hero”

“The Fortune” (1975)

“Grizzly Man”

“The Comfort of Strangers”

“Creator”

“Planet of the Apes” (1968)

“The Twelve Chairs”

“The Ghost & Mr. Chicken”

“Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey”

“The General” (1926)

“They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?”

“I Want to Live”

“Buck”

“Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein”

FOREIGN:

“The Lion in Winter” (1968)

“The English Patient”

“Persona”

“Once”

“Like Water for Chocolate”

“Joyeaux Noel”

“The Legend of Hell House”

“Persepolis”

“Wings of Desire”

“Inside”

“The Host”

“Cold Comfort Farm”

“Snapper”

“Suspiria” (Dario Argento)

“Educating Rita”

“Cries & Whispers”

“Lucia”

“Cinema Paradiso”

“The Wedding Banquet”

“The Innocents”

“Delicatessen”

“City of Lost Children”

“A Night to Remember”

“Brassed Off”

“Impromptu”

TELEVISION:

We don’t watch television shows as we have the Food Channel on pretty much 24/7. Other than that, I’m looking forward to the 2nd season of “The Walking Dead.” If I could, I’d bring back Twin Peaks, Firefly, and some good ole’ Rod Serling.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Non-existent! Which is why we do what we do.

What's your opinion on crowd funding?

It’s brilliant, and from what I’ve seen, effective. We’d totally consider it if we ever needed to rally the troops. We’ve supported great crowd funding projects -- it’s an amazing glimpse into the endless talent that exists in the world.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

There’s always a sense of unlimited ‘space’ and freedom -- creative breathing room. Indie films immediately shed the familiar confines and identifiable borders inherent in mainstream motion pictures.

You could go back in time and see and film being made. Which film would it be and why?

“The Lion in Winter.” Absolutely. Though this is a tough question! But that film was SO chaotic & maddening, and brilliantly executed and written -- the dialogue is ASTOUNDING, and the performances are mesmerizing and insane. Plus that time and place in our world’s history is so perplexing and vile, I would have gotten a kick out of being on the set, which is probably nothing like I imagine -- all smoke and mirrors most likely. But my god, who could resist wanting to breath the same air as that cast -- Peter O’Toole, Katherine Hepburn, Anthony Hopkins, John Castle, Timothy Dalton. I mean, WOW. The script was so tempered and violent, full of shouts and tears. I would have adored being there every single day to witness the tumultuous rehearsing!

Do you believe in life on other planets?

Oh my, YES. Resounding YES.

Have you been on the set of any of the recent movies that have been filmed in Lowell, MA?

My husband, Brett, was an extra in “The Invention of Lying.” He’s got a fabulous 3-second appearance, which we’re both (tongue-in-cheek) proud of! We did much stargazing during that  production. “The Fighter,” kept to the inner neighborhoods of Lowell and was a pretty closed set, unlike Gervais’ production, so we didn’t get a chance to ‘wonder’ on.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

“Leave the gun, take the cannolis.” -- it just makes me giggle when I’m having a bad day.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

*Sigh* ... what to say about this. It’s a tough call, as there have certainly been some very successful remakes and redo’s. But on the whole, it’s a bit of a drudgery. If I love an original, I’ll usually give the remake a bit of a chance, but lately, there have been some TREMENDOUS dogs out there, don’t you think? I mean, just horrible. No imagination or creative interpretation, nothing new or insightful to add, just pure CGI hell most of the time or weary acting. As far as sequels, I’m a bit more forgiving as I love a good story. It’s pretty easy to see where a chain of sequels is going by the time you hit Part Deaux, though, so you can choose early on to severe your relationship with the saga. I’ll give a good story two sequels if the first installment was stellar.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

I must confess, my book reading isn’t what it used to be, so I give book-to-movie adaptations a thumbs up. There will never be a shortage of amazing writing, historical or contemporary, so why not take all that creativity and try to harness it onscreen? Sounds great to me! But again, that’s coming from a hard core filmie, not a bookworm.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

I’d like to personally thank you, John, for this opportunity. I’d also like to express to my deep appreciation for anyone reading this -- if you’ve gotten this far and have read my answers to these great questions, then you’ve gotten to know a little bit more about me -- I hope you’ll take the time to reach out and get in touch with me and throw some words of inspiration or share some ideas about what we do. If you’re a budding filmmaker, we’d love to showcase your work here in Lowell, MA -- it’s what makes me rise and face the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment