Thursday, October 20, 2011

Meg Pinsonneault Of Thirsty Girl Films



Meg Pinsonneault is an award-winning, festival screened director and screenwriter in Los Angeles. She is the founder of the independent production company, Thirsty Girl Films, which won the 2010 Filmmaker of the Year award from RAW: Natural Born Artists, as well as semi exclusive content provider for Mubi Garage. Meg is also an avid screenwriter, with 5 features under her belt and a script currently circulating the studio system. Meg's work has been featured on: Film Courage, Film Radar, Mubi Garage, Indiegogo, From Page 2 Screen, Coachella Review, and the forthcoming Stigmedia.
In her spare time, Meg volunteers with the Writer’s Guild of America and the Central Pennsylvania Film Commission as well.  An Emerson College alumni, she is also an award-winning photographer and art director, and published poet. Meg has too many hobbies, but loves them all.

Meg's awards include: Winner 2010 RAW Artists’ Filmmaker of the Year, Merit Award for Animation at 2011 Los Angeles Cinema Festival of Hollywood, Honorable Mention at 2011 Los Angeles International Underground Film Festival, Second Place Winner and Best Editing in Animation from 2011 Los Angeles Arthouse Film Festival, Winner of Best Documentary at 2010 Octaedro Film Festival, 2009 Maverick Movie Award nomination for Best Short Documentary, Third Place Finalist for Moveon.org contest, "Obama in 30 Seconds," Winner of viral marketing concept campaign for AMP Energy Drink, 2008 Bronze Telly Award for Outstanding Art Direction in a Music Video.  To find out more about Meg and Thirsty Girl Films please visit visit http://www.thirstygirlfilms.com

What is the current project you are working on?

I’m currently working on two projects right now. The first is a short period thriller circa 1940 called “Feast of the Foolish,” about a young outlaw lost in the desert who seeks answers about his future from a dark enchantress, but it’s his past he should be worried about. “Feast of the Foolish” was inspired by my love for stylized, high concept films, packed full of saturated visuals and top-notch art direction. “Feast of the Foolish” was successfully financed through the crowd-funding platform, Indiegogo.com. We shot it on the RED One camera in Joshua Tree, CA. It is currently in consideration at many top tier film festivals, as well as independent fests around the world. I’m also working on the feature adaption of this unique period thriller film. For more information, please go to www.feastofthefoolish.com

My second film is feature documentary called "Gwapa (Beautiful)", about is a documentary that follows a poor Filipino family’s struggle for a healthy future and a mother’s remarkable journey to help her three kids with facial deformities. Last January, I, along with my good friend, Sabina Padilla, had the amazing opportunity to travel to the Philippines with Faces of Tomorrow, a non profit organization that provides free surgeries for children with cleft deformities. We documented the Bulabos and Alac families, four children with clefts in total, through their long journey to meet the Faces of Tomorrow team. In a country where children with clefts are often abandoned or shunned from society, Gwapa (Beautiful) follows two remarkable families that refuse to give up. Despite desperate poverty, this documentary depicts a mother’s will to do whatever it takes to give her children the brightest future as possible. Gwapa (Beautiful) is a powerful tale of strength, love, determination, and hope. It’s an experience that changed my life forever and a story that must be told. Faces of Tomorrow will return to the small Filipino island of Bohol and revisit the families for more surgeries, education, and medicine. We are looking for funding to return with the medical mission and to complete the film. We’re launching a crowd-funding campaign on November 12th with a kick-off party and awesome perks. Gwapa (Beautiful) will be the first full-length documentary to feature the issue of cleft deformities in developing countries. For more information, please go to www.gwapafilm.com

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

I think I always knew that I wanted to a be filmmaker, but it just took me awhile to fully realize it. My love of filmmaking first derived from my love of acting. From a young age, I participated in many local productions in my hometown of Williamsport, PA. I attended acting programs in both New York City and Boston during the summers. After high school, I was accepted to Emerson College’s prestigious acting program, but I soon realized my true calling was behind the camera. As an award-winning photographer from age 12, the shoe slipped right on. I graduated with degrees in both Film and Screenwriting. I moved directly to Los Angeles where I first acted as a Prop Assistant on commercials and then ran my own Production Design team. I moved onto videography and editing for documentaries and music videos. This quickly led to writing, directing, and producing my own work. I’ve been an independent filmmaker ever since.

 What inspired you to become filmmaker?

I’ve always been a very visual person. My mother put a camera in my hands at a young age. So, I naturally drifted toward photography and videography as a way to express myself. There was always some type of camera in my hand. Likewise, I’ve loved the craft of writing since I was a child, winning poetry and story contests through middle school and high school. After going to college for acting, I quickly realized that I had more to offer the filmmaking process then just appearing in front of the camera. I’ve always been inspired. But when I found filmmaking, the inspiration was finally funneled into the right medium.

What is the best thing about being one?  What is the worst thing about being one?

As a filmmaker, I’m lucky that my career is also my favorite hobby. Most people have a very distinct disconnect between work and play. But artists merge all that together. Filmmaking is an incredibly rewarding profession, but it’s also a ruthless one too. It’s certainly not for the weak of heart. It takes a level of passion and dedication that separates the men from the boys. But the payoff in the end is worth it. Having the ability to share your visions with the world and the world watching them, is truly a beautiful thing.

Do you believe in life on other planets?

Of course. There is far too much evidence to not believe in life on other planets.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

Yikes. I can’t pick just one. My major influences include filmmakers like Tim Burton, Michel Gondry, Guillermo del Toro, Quentin Tarantino, Jean-Pierrs Jeunet, Darren Aronofsky and The Coen Brothers. Each of these directors continues to create wonderful films that have compelling stories with uniquely stylized visuals that keep their audiences coming back for more.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

Honestly, my opinions aren’t good. I feel that remakes and sequels are dumbing down the quality of the films people see these days. I think we can all agree that we’d be better off without Beverly Hills Chiuachua 3 or Saw 7. But because the studios aren’t making as much money anymore, they’re not taking as many risks on original content. Therefore, the public ends up with this bland mix of the same crap over and over again. That’s why independent film is so important. It’s a place where filmmakers can actually make original content.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Don’t give up. Keep making things. No matter how small the project, it’s very important to continue honing your craft. Being an artist isn’t easy. Don’t let process get you down. Filmmaking doesn’t happen over night. It takes time. So, buckle up and hang on for the long haul.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

I grew up in the Appalachian mountains of central Pennsylvania. Needless to say, I love to get dirty. When I’m not working, which is most of the time, you can find me enjoying the great outdoors. I love to snowboard, wakeboard, surf, boat, and hike. I’m also an award-winning photographer and published poet.

How do you handle rejection?

I don’t let rejection get me down. Being an artist means putting yourself out there. There’s no way you can satisfy everyone. If you let criticism and rejection bother you, then you’ll never move forward with your artistic career. Likewise, I believe that rejection and criticism is just an inherent part of making films.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Some of my favorite American films are The Big Lebowski, True Romance, Edward Scissorhands, Be Kind Rewind, Little Miss Sunshine, Shawshank Redemption, Requiem for a Dream, From Dust to Glory, The Goonies, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Memento.

Some of my favorite Foreign films are Pan’s Labyrinth, Micmacs, Alice, Run Lola Run, Amelie, Motorcycle Diaries, Triplets of Belleville, The Bicycle Thief, City of God, Persepolis, Hero, The Orphanage, Loves of a Blonde, Apocalypto, Red, and In the Mood for Love.

Some of my favorite shows are Seinfeld, Carnivale, Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, Modern Family, Deadwood, Arrested Development, Breaking Bad, King of the Hill, Boardwalk Empire, Home Movies, Treme, Curb Your Enthusiasm, United States of Tara, Walking Dead, Bored to Death, Family Guy, Six Feet Under, Mad Men, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Game of Thrones, and The Killing

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Social networking has drastically changed the way the indie filmmaker operates. It has allowed the filmmaker to connect with their audience directly, which is an extremely valuable asset. If you told me 5 years ago that this is how we’d be doing business, I would’ve said you’re crazy! But the truth is, this is where we’re heading, if we haven’t already arrived. When I was in film school, no one prepared me for this. Then again, nobody realized social networking would grow into the monster it is today. Even 6 months ago, I still belonged to the school of thought: Twitter is lame. However, I quickly realized that social networking is just part of the job now. I hear a lot of filmmakers complaining that Facebook and Twitter are too time consuming. But I think they’re looking at it the wrong way. Social networking platforms provide a priceless platform for filmmakers to promote their work and connect with their audience. Not to mention, there is an extremely wonderful and loyal independent film community on both Twitter and Facebook, which makes it even more exciting to be part of the indie movement. Why miss out on that?

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

Crowdfunding is so many things. It’s wonderful, difficult, inspirational, time consuming, exciting, painful, and everything in between. It offers a way for a filmmaker to get their films made without having to pay investors back. This is a huge deal. As a veteran of a successful campaign, I can definitely say that I love crowdfunding. However, I know a lot of people who don’t agree. When I first started my campaign for “Feast of the Foolish,” I had no idea what I was getting myself into. But I quickly realized that I was in for a tough battle. My time was completely consumed with promoting the project and getting donations. Posting, posting, and posting some more. Crowdfunding is very tough. It’s extremely competitive and dedication is key. Over 20% of all campaigns never get passed $0! If you get over 50% funding, then you have a 90% of reaching your goal. Of those who were successful, every filmmaker was highly accessible in the social networking world.

2 comments:

  1. [...] Pinsonneault talks to John Hoff about her a short period thriller circa 1940 called “Feast of the Foolish,” about a young outlaw lost in the desert who seeks answers about his future from a dark enchantress. She says the film was inspired by her “love for stylized, high concept films, packed full of saturated visuals and top-notch art direction.” Read the entire interview here. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. She cares very much for her plants, declaring that they are
    playing NHL '93 in Swingers but talking about the removal of fighting in NHL '94.
    ps3 tophies grew out of our fascination with computers and they are
    fast paced. The PC-games-focused site Rock Paper Shotgun recently
    published an editorial suggesting those involved in the industry so
    you can focus your skills as the games industry is always evolving.

    ReplyDelete