Sunday, October 23, 2011

Greg Sommer AKA Skull Man



Greg Sommer is the founder of Skull Man’s Box Wars and CEO of Variety Store TV Inc.  Running his own production company in Toronto Greg shoots and edits client work from web video, promotional video, interviews to wedding DVDs. He is a one stop shop. Greg started the Canada Chapter of Box Wars after the Boxwars council in Australia granted him permission in 2004.  Besides organising the battle events, Greg also edits, produces and co-writes the stories for each battle.

There is also a full feature documentary on Greg’s life, entitled Skull  World, currently in post-production Produced by Unstable Ground Inc., www.skullworldmovie.com

What is the current project you are working on?

I am working on client work right now. I just finished up a promotional apartment rental video and am now editing a wedding I just recently shot.

http://www.varietystoreproductions.com

I am also working on a mini documentary on people who eat sandwiches.

You can also find out about my upcoming Box War activities here.


http://www.boxwars.tv/upc_nextbattle.php

How do you define success?

Success to me is achievement. It can come in the form of recognition or from making a positive change. Success is first how you see yourself and how happy you are living with your endeavors. In the film world your success is judged by the popularity of your successful projects. I think it is important not to become too cynical but to stay on track. Stay positive and back up your projects religiously.

 

How do you handle rejection?

It is disappointing and sometimes makes me a bit sad at times, sometimes there are people in the world that just enjoy being mean for no real reason but to put your work down. I walk it off….. I walk it off! I pick myself up and carry on! You also have to look at where the rejection is coming from and decide how meaningful or significant their input really is. Negative peoples opinions do not have value but I always value and welcome constructive criticism for improvement.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

I have always appreciated the way stories are told. The way stories are told matters to people and stories matter to people. I always really enjoyed telling stories. My first experience with film making was in high school. Now I have developed this into my life’s passion. Even when the going is tough I never let go of the spirit of filming.

I also love a great adventure and a good laugh. I like traveling to different parts of the world and time when watching television, movies or videos. Going to other parts of the world in person is not big on my list, but if I get a chance to travel I really enjoy traveling into Toronto for adventures! If I did get the opportunity I would definitely really like to travel to other planets.

Speaking of other planets I also wanted to become a space alien ambassador, and I Still DO! If anyone hears of any openings anywhere then please let me know.

 

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

My Mom bought me my first video camera in 1993. I used it to video tape my adventures and comedic science experiments growing up. Then in high school my media teacher Mr. Anderson introduced me to multi media and I have never looked back. It’s a tough road with many people undercutting on bidding for contracts. I go the extra mile to do a good job and am always available 24/7. In looking back, I would change nothing. This is where I want to be in life. The accomplishments that are made make it all worth while.

 

What is the best thing about being one?

You have the control of telling stories.

I enjoy helping to tell stories and documenting good memories for people to reflect back on or be educated from or to help sell a product. Whether it is shooting a wedding, lecture, promotional video to documenting something special in one’s life. I enjoy it all. The way stories are told matters to people. Telling stories and making people laugh is also what I really enjoy doing a lot! I enjoy laughing, sharing laughs and seeing people laugh the most. I sometimes have a dry sense of humour most of the time and sometimes I do not mean to be funny but things just come out funny (sometimes). That is when comedy magic happens. My early forms of comedy started off here http://www.varietystoretv.com/main1.html

 

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

George Lucas,  Steven Spielberg & James Cameron

 

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

I have become more digital, I also really like how technology has advanced over time to improve the process of storytelling. It is a very challenging and creative field. Your mind can run a-muck. It can be grueling and demanding but also very rewarding. It takes everything you’ve got to stay on track, but gives back many times over. Maybe one day we will see robots walk amongst us that look just like humans.

 

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Never give up, keep trying, keep learning. Learn how to shoot and edit. I strongly suggest you pick up a MacBookPro, buy Final Cut Pro, Motion and compressor then learn the programs. Also, find out who the good people are that you can trust. Stay away from anything greasy and never turn greasy with your work. Also stay away from people that are negative downers. Downers just bring negative energy into your life.

 

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

I enjoy building cardboard armour and weapons for Skull Man’s Box Wars to battle against the forces of evil. Box Wars is my second commitment.
http://www.boxwars.tv

I enjoy making and eating sandwiches.

I enjoy dreaming up ideas for comedy skits.

 

I also have a real interest in spirituality and aliens. I believe aliens where the first beings on our glorious planet we live on. I think we have benefited from alien technology over the years that our governments have slowly trickled down to us through deals and treaties made with the aliens that are interacting with us.

Will we see aliens walk amongst us in our lifetime? I strongly believe yes! Am I going to go crazy over it? No, I am going to be cool and keep my dignity….. other people may piss themselves when this happens. When the alien beings make themselves known to us I look forward to learning about them and hopefully becoming friends. Anyone of us could be an alien. Who knows how many aliens are here right now. I welcome all benevolent beings to our planet and I look forward to meeting them.

I also think there is some sort of Galactic federation of benevolent beings that protect planets in different solar systems. Who knows maybe Star  Wars was not too far off! I think our planet is being protected by alien beings.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

I started off working in a Variety Store, then worked for Quest Line, was a garbage man, worked in a warehouse doing shipping and receiving then worked in a cemetery for 7 years. My cemetery job almost killed me! Mainly from all of the cold negative energy I worked in and was exposed to. But, I was meant to be there for a set time. Whether it was from helping with a burial on a weekend to cover for a co-worker to have a day off, or to helping my boss with important jobs on the site. I was there until it was my time to move on.

 

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films?

Army Of Darkness, Avatar, Beatlejuice, Aliens, Star Wars Trilodgy, Skull World, 300, Braveheart, The Warriors, Band Of The Hand, Breakfast Club

Weird Science, Angel Town, Lost Angels, Lost Boys, Legend, Night Breed

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Ice Pirates, Labrynth, Ghostrider

Monster Brawl, Conan The Barbarian, Lord of the Rings Trilodgy

Grandma’s Boy, Goonies, Gremlins, Demons

Predator, Ghostbusters, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

 

Television shows?

I like Survivor a LOT! I enjoy watching people get through the challenges and seeing how well everyone get along with each other. I also like to see what kind of attitudes in people cause problems in the tribes and how people deal with them. Dealing with difficult people is a life skill. Some people just do not respond to reason.

V from the 80’s and the new version. In my opinion V is the closet interpretation to what the reptilians are like and up too. But I could be totally wrong. Anna, I will NOT be blinded by your Bliss!

 

The Walking Dead is awesome! I like seeing the survivors fighting the evil zombies. A good Zombie is a Dead Zombie! I really enjoy it when the zombies lose in one way or another and seeing the survivors working together to survive. If I was in a situation like that I would run into them blasting metal music yelling “Mosh Pit” then start slam dancing them to the floor. If I get over powered I would yell out “hey look over there, it’s a cow”, When the zombies look away then I would run a way!

I am always rooting for the good guys in television or in film. Even in video games I can never play a bad guy because that would be against my morals.

 

Destination Truth: They never find much but I enjoy the adventure and almost seeing if they find something.

 

How would you describe your film education?

I went to Centennial college for a certificate in Video Production then after that was given a few job finding links like workopolis and sites like that. After college I started to do freelance video production while working at my day job. Now I do this full time.  http://www.varietystoreproductions.com

 

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Great! There are many talented filmmakers making great films over here in Toronto. One being especially amazing is the talented Mr. Justin McConnell. He knows the craft and produces compelling amazing work! He can also be classified as a modern day Wizard! Why? Because he creates magic! http://www.unstableground.net. Another amazing film maker here in Toronto is Mr Giggles. Why do they call him Mr Giggles? It’s because he is always Giggling at stuff. Right now he is shooting a film called Sneaky Peaky on people who fear clowns & popcorn together or separately. Apparently it is going to be very, Very Scary.

 

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

It has helped a lot! It helps to get the word out a lot more then not having it. Facebook, youtube, twitter tumblr are all good social tools to use and are good examples of people helping people to get the word out about their  projects. Film festivals are another great venue for film exposure. There are so many talented producers creating great work.

 

You could go back in time and see any film being made. Which film would it be and why?

Lost Boys. The set, people and atmosphere must have been amazing!

 

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

“Rockin’ Large” From Skull World. Rockin’ Large is a state of mind, it’s about living your life to the fullest!

“This is my Boom Stick” From Army Of Darkness, I like the comedy, conviction and power behind that quote.

 

Do you believe in life on other planets?

Indeed I do! I strongly believe in Aliens. Just like we have many cultures of people on earth there are many cultures of alien beings out in the universe. But there is Sooooooo much disinformation out in the world it is really tough sometimes to discern who is telling the truth and who is not. Here are a couple of great meetup groups to check out about aliens in Toronto if anyone is interested.
http://www.meetup.com/Alien-UFOs-in-Outer-Inner-Space

http://www.meetup.com/UFORIA

There has to be more than just earth with intelligent life forms. We seem to be making quite a mess of things on our planet. I hope that one day we can clean it up and live in a world of peace.

 

Do you ever wish you had a super power? If so, what would it be and why?

I wish I had the strength of the Incredible Hulk with a green Skull for a head. If I did I would go to the greasy trouble parts in the world to clean them up. Then I would go and wipe out all terrorist activity and corruption in the world and help keep our planet in peace. After I clean up the greasy parts of the world I would put the people that created the grease into degreasing programs that I would personally host.

My programs would consist of giving back to the communities of the world through planting gardens and community service. I would also mandate a healthy amount of Rock and Metal music with strong values of peace, harmony and respect to one another and our planet. Everyone would also get a teddy bear with a skull head and a small bag of potato chips. TV therapy would be mandatory with healthy doses of V, Survivor, The Walking Dead, Destination Truth, Trailer Park Boys, GI Joe and Transformers. I would also introduce healthy eating by classes in how to make and eat sandwiches.

I would then top it off by implementing spiritual programs and meditations to help people evolve for the better of themselves and the world so we can all live in harmony.

 

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

Some are good, but there is nothing like an original idea.

 

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Do what you can to keep on evolving in a positive light, the way you speak to people matters and doing the right thing is important. Life is an amazing adventure, you never know who you can meet that can help to take you from the shit house to the light house or the light house to the shit house. So chose the people you associate with wisely and use your discernment on who is telling you the truth and who you can trust.

I look forward to Skull Worlds release. It is quite the honour. But I want everyone to remember when watching, I, am a Self proclaimed Comedic scientist. I have rules when conducting my comedy experiments! Some will make you laugh others may not, but all of my comedy is experimental and that is what makes me a Comedic Scientist. Some of my comedy is thought provoking other times it is just jokes but I try to keep it light hearted with good intentions. I am also grateful for all of the people who have stuck by me and have helped me a long the way. I am thankful to have so many good people in my life.

I also look forward to when the aliens make themselves known to the world, I know some are already here, others are watching from a distance. I hope they are benevolent. Who knows, maybe I will find myself an alien girlfriend or a space friend or many space friends one day.
Long Live Rock & Metal music, good beings doing good things, Justice, Honour, Loyalty, Buell Motorcycles, Buell Riders, Apple Computers, Final Cut Pro, Sandwiches and people that make movies. Spend time and do things with good people in life. Spending good time in life with people when they are alive is what matters, not when they die and just showing up to their funeral. I believe it is a good thing to create good memories.

Words of Advice: Be an honorable person, promote feelings of love and compassion to others and the world we live on, think positive thoughts, stay away from greasiness & people that lie & take advantage of you, make good choices and get yourselves into some Good Rock and Metal music. I strongly suggest you get into Clutch, Tool, Fear Factory, Rob Zombie & Danzig then go from there.

5 words to describe me:

Rockin’ Enthusiastic, Exciting, Silly, Noble, Courageous
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR & READ FROM PEOPLE. SEE BETWEEN THE LINES.  USE YOUR DISCERNMENT TO FIND OUT THE TRUTH FOR YOURSELF AND DO NOT BELIEVE THE LIES.

My name is Greg Sommer A.K.A. Skull Man, I fight for the preservation of World Peace and Metal music!


Never Stop Rocking!
Greg Sommer A.K.A. Skull Man

1 comment: