Thursday, October 20, 2011

"Ninjas Vs" Creator Justin Timpane

[caption id="attachment_2126" align="aligncenter" width="203" caption="Justin as Reefer" in "Ninjas vs Vampires"][/caption]

Justin Timpane spent his formative years in the DC area, graduating from Mary Washington University in Fredericksburg, VA with a BA in Theatre. He shot his first college film in 1994, and spent six years as a professional actor in the DC theatre, commercial, and film community. In 2006, Justin stepped out of the opening day showing of Clerks 2 with his wife Kelly and his best friend, Actor Daniel Ross, and made a realization. He had been unsatisfied with scrounging for roles he was unsatisfied with and being part of projects that half the time never were completed. It was at this point that Justin and Daniel went to their local Blockbuster and spent some time looking for the movie that "Hadn't been made, but should be".

That movie ended up being "Ninjas Vs Zombies", which was released in 2008 on DVD throughout the United States. The follow-up film "Ninjas Vs Vampires" was released 2 years later on DVD, VOD, and Netflix Streaming as well as throughout the UK on DVD and iTunes.Now, Justin and his team are responsible for a comic book series, an online radio network of podcasts, and the "Ninjas Vs" movies, which is looking to complete the trilogy in 2012 with "Ninjas vs Monsters".

What is the current project you are working on?

Ninjas Vs Monsters: The Movie ( www.NinjasWin.com )

Why did you decide to make a trilogy?

Its my favorite form of storytelling, in retrospect.. I mean, Star Wars, LOTR, even accidental Trilogies like Nightmare on elm Street 3,4 and 5 or Star Trek 2,3,and 4 - I enjoy the three stories together.. Plus I love this universe and want it to go out with a BANG!

How do you define success?

Setting a goal and achieving it. I know that sounds asinine, but I focus much mor eon smaller successes. I am already successful in the large sense because I get to make movies and I have a pretty happy life at home. So my goals are smaller and more manageable.

How do you handle rejection?

With wine. Lots of wine. Honestly, its part of this business, and I am getting a thicker skin than I ever thought I would. After some time you just get used to it. Its a business OF rejection and readjustment until you achieve that goal!

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

Not always, but often! It was, from High School on : Actor, Musician, Comic Book Artist, Filmmaker, Actor, Musician, Filmmaker, TV guy, Actor, Filmmaker.. I keep on stumbling on that as the thing I want to do.

 What inspired you to become filmmaker?

Oh, lots of stuff. Ed Sanchez and the "Blair Witch Project", along with "Clerks" and "Evil Dead", first taught me I could do it myself. My buddy Josh made a movie when I was 18, and that was a HUGE thing for me - it inspired me to make my first film, and not too long after, BWP came out, so it was a perfect storm of inspiration. Also, props to fames indie microbudget guys Don Dohler and Joe Ripple, who kind of gave me a boost.

 What is the best thing about being one?

Hands down, seeing your film being enjoyed by a packed house. Nothing like it.

 What is the worst thing about being one?

Asking for money.. that stinks because you have to beg and prod and have your hand out and call in favors and you feel icky.. But you gotta love your film enough to do that. There are generous folks out there, you just have to find them and hope they will believe in your dream!

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

On Film? As an actor, 7 or 8 (not counting Extra or Stand In Work on Hollywood stuff). As a composer only, Two. As a script doctor, two. And then my two College films and my two professional films. What is that? 15 or 16?

 Who is your favorite filmmaker?

Probably Joss Whedon (he's more TV I guess), or Kevin Smith. I also have a fondness for Tarantino and Cameron.

 How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

Its busier. I have less money and less time but a LOT of cool friends - I get to meet really cool folks now.

 What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Surround yourself with people you can trust and who you love. You will be WITH these people for the next three to twelve months if not more.. so make sure you and they can handle that! Then gather a little cash ( www.NinjasWin.com - sorry.. like I said, it kills your dignity!), a good idea, and get to work!

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

Spend time with the Fam. I check out almost every Super hero movie, I love Star Trek and I run a podcast Network ( www.EndlightPodcast.com )

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

As an indie filmmaker, I have a day job now! I did do a lot of other Entertainment jobs. The best one was working as a Star Trek alien (Romulan) for three years in full makeup at a theme park, six days a week, 5 months a year.

 What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

American: Empire Strikes Back, Nightmare on Elm Street, Scott Pilgrim, Aliens, Serenity. Foreign: Drunken Master, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz. TV Shows: Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Lost

 How would you describe your film education?

I have a BA  in Theatre, and a strong emphasis on Video Editing and music performance and composition.. as  iwas getting that, I made films as a hobby, so my thinking was always kind of there.

What is the casting process like?

We have a big call for two days and see about a hundred or more folks for about six parts. Then we call back about 2 for each part and screen test. We then take those who did well but didn't fit, or who were enthusiastic or were really nice and we see where we can fit them in secondary roles. Its easier now, because most of the good guys have been cast already (sequel) - but the BADDIES.. well thats something else entirely!

 How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Growing! In the DC area, there are a NUMBER of indie productions receiving distribution as well as some big companies doing stuff (Discovery Channel and the new "The Firm" series, for instance.)

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

It is easier to keep in touch with fans. For us, they become friends pretty quickly. We are small enough to be accessible and in general our fans have been really cool! Facebook is our SM of choice, although Twitter has some fun advantages. On a larger sense, it has closed the gaps between the film folks and fans. As a fan, I have been able to correspond at least once with some of the Elm Street folks, with Kevin Smith, and have become friends with Blair Witch Creator Eduardo Sanchez,

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

I'm in the middle of it now! ( www.NinjasWin.com !) It is awesome if you are willing to swallow your pride a bit and ask for help. Its hard to be heard above the masses, so you have to work it EVERY day.. and that is taxing. You just can' wait to get back to MAKING the movies. SO - to whoever is reading this.. check out the aforementioned NinjasWin.com and watch the video.. you'll see exactly why we need to be doing this (facepalms.. calls self a whore.. continues)

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

That's an excellent question. Non-Studio funded.. but in that case, the entire Star Wars prequel trilogy is an Independent Film.. 20th Century Fox just distributed it.. Lucas funded, wrote, and shot everything exactly as he wanted, for better or for worse. Kevin Smith's RED STATE is a better example. He went out, got money, wrote, produced, and got it made.. and he was DECIDEDLY on the cheap about it. Ours is a lot like CLERKS or Blair Witch.. and most others are too. We're not well-connected enough to get the BIG budget, but we're known enough now to get SOME money.. If Hollywood is "Outback Steakhouse" or "Ruth Chris", we're the little local Diner. Its a riskier proposition, maybe, but infinitely more fun.

 You could go back in time and see any film being made. Which film would it be and why?

Star Wars, C'mon.. to see those guys come up with some of this stuff for the first time? Golden.

 What's your favorite movie quote and why?

Clerks 2's line changed my life: "I'd buy the Quick Stop and reopen it myself. That's what I'd do. That's what we should do. " - it was this line that made me say "Lets go for broke and just make movies"

Do you believe in life on other planets?

No. Wish I did.. that would be fun

Do you ever wish you had a super power? If so, what would it be and why?

I used to write a comic book for fun (no one has ever seen this) called Z-Strike - and I always wanted to be Telekinetic. Moving stuff with my brain. Maybe because I'm lazy reaching for the remote... or because I want to walk down a hallway filled with windows, then get mad, then have the windows shatter as rock music plays.. sorry got lost in my thoughts there.

 What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

Remakes make me nervous. More often than not they fail and are kind of sucky. But sometimes they are awesome (True Grit, The Ring) - Sequels, however.. I love. I even like bad ones. I would have watched TEN more Elm Streets.. I have a problem when TV shows or Movie Series end. I like that familiarity. But SOMEITMES.. the sequels just improve.. Empire, Godfather 2, Evil Dead 2 and 3, Elm Street 3, Star Trek 2, T2, Aliens, etc..

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

I like them, in general - but I think filmmakers either stray too much or try to adapt the book slavishly, and make a bad movie. The TRUE fan of the book who tells THAT story, but is obsessed not with every detail, but with making the best FILM, will be successful. (Harry potter 2= like the book, but BAD, Harry potter 3  omits stuff but is a GOOD MOVIE)

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Care to guess? You, the reader, are finishing this article and about to move on to the next thing.. BEFORE you  do, we have a video on www.NinjasWin.com where we talk about what we're doing. Give $5, $10, whatever.. there are AMAZING perks - so check it out at least.. it's not very long.. Help us MAKE Ninjas Vs Monsters (oh, and before you go, link that page to your twitter or Facebook!) Thanks so much for interviewing me! It was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment