Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Actor Giancarlo Madonnini



What is the current project you are working on? 

The current project that I am workin' on is an independant film called, "Mark of the Dog Rose." It's a dark suspense drama in which my sister is kidnapped by the "Merrimack Snatcher," and I have two weeks to find her or the worst will happen. There are a bunch of twists and turns as well, but I don't wanna give away too much of the plot. ; ) I am also currently writing a script of my own, that I hope to have finished by the middle of next year. (Finger's crossed)

Did you always want to be an actor?

I haven't always wanted to be an actor, but i've always had a reaaaaaally strong interest in movies. Even as a younger child, I would remember putting myself in the shoes of the main characters of the movie, and try to imagine what it would be like if that was me. Whether it was a comedy, drama, horror, or anything. I always immersed myself into the film.

What inspired you to become an actor?

As I got older, I occasionally thought about making a move and maybe trying to get into the industry, but it wasn't until I saw Heath Ledger in, "The Dark Knight," that I made my desicion to give it a try. He was really my inspiration. I was blown away by the way he was able to transform himself from such a regular person in real life, to a character as derranged as The Joker. As soon as those credits rolled at the end of the movie, something just went off in my head and I said, "That's it, i'm going for it," and I did.

What is the best thing about being one?

I'd have to say my favorite thing about being an actor is how every project you do, gives you a chance to play a new character. Someone other than yourself. It's just nice to be able to step out of your own shoes and try to relate to another character well enough to portray them. When i'm acting, nothing else is on my mind. No bills, no girls, no job. My purpose is to do the best that I possibly can to achieve what I was going for.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Honestly, I can't think of too many things that I don't like about being an actor. If I had to pick something, I guess it would be the amount of time that it takes to edit, check sound quality, fix any little problems that pop up in the film after we've wrapped. I'm just full of so much anxiety from the time we wrap, until the time of the premiere. All I want to do is see and hear the reactions of the people who are watching it.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I'm relatively new to the film industry. I've only played a small role last year, in an independant film for Astropiano Films. It was called, "Sunblocked." I had maybe 6-8 scenes in the movie, but got such good feedback that it landed me a lead in their next project, which is, "Mark of the Dog Rose." Besides that, i've been on the set of, "Here Comes the Boom" with Kevin James. I was only an extra, but it was a great experience to see how a professional set is run, and what really goes into a film.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

My favorite filmmaker? That's a tough question. There are so many great directors out there, but I guess off the top of my head, Ron Howard tends to put out more hits than alot of others I can think of right now. Him, and Martin Scorsese, I would have to say. I'm Italian, so I tend to relate to his movies better than others. Haha.

How has your life changed since you became an actor?

I don't know if my life has really changed since i've become an actor, but I will say that it's given me a little spark in my life. It's given me something to shoot for, and has shown me what I have a passion for. You can work 60 year's of your life at a job that you hate, and never know what it is that you really wanted to do. Right now, I just wait tables and personal train, but my passion is acting. There's just something about it, it lights me up, and when I have a project, that's the NUMBER ONE priority. I'll go to work to pay my bills, but that is not my life. I'd happily make acting my life.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

The best advice I could give to someone that wants to make it in the business, (Not that i'm a grizzled vet over here or anything) would have to be, immerse yourself in it. Don't just think, "Alright, i'm playing, "so and so", and this is their issue, and this is what I have to do." No, MAKE YOURSELF that character. Relate to them, understand what it would be like to be in their shoes. Don't be affraid to take risks when your being filmed. If you look like a dork, who cares, your doing what you love, and your only gonna learn more, the more you try. So i'd have to say, just give it your all, and don't hold back.

What do you like to do besides acting?

Besides acting, I love to watch movies. (No big surprise there) Go out and shoot some pool, maybe bowl, or throw some darts, toss back a few brews with some buddy's and just shoot the breeze. I'm pretty much down for anything. I hate being bored and CANNOT stand still, so i'll pretty much go anywhere at the drop of a hat.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Oh ya, i've had maaaaaaany jobs before acting. I'll try to remember a few here if I can... I've worked at Hampton Beach from age 13 until 20, at my fathers restaurant. CVS, Woburn Cinema, worked contruction and carpentry, Outback Steakhouse, Margaritas, Chili's, The 99's. I'm pretty sure I could go on for another ten minutes on this question, but i'll just stop it there, cause most of the jobs SUCKED. Haha.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

My favorite films? Oh boy, this could literally go on for day's, but i'll keep it as short as possible. I guess as far as foreign films go, "La Vita e Bella" Life is Beautiful, with Roberto Benigni, is my favorite. It's about a father and young son who get taken away to a concentration camp, and when his wifes finds out what happens, she demands to go on the train as well. Even though she is not Jewish. The main reason why I love this movie so much though, is because of the lengths the father goes to keep his son, not only safe, but HAPPY and having fun while in a freakin' concentration camp. It's an amazing story, and I think everyone should watch it at least once. Now television shows...eh. I don't get into too many t.v. series, I pretty much DVR everything that I wanna watch, and just fast forward the commercials. Right now on my DVR there's, Two and a Half Men, Still Standing, Time Warp, Man vs. Food Nation, Home Improvement, WWE Monday Night Raw, and Friday Night Smackdown. (Yes, I love wrestling) Haha. Besides that, i'm also a HUGE astronomy nerd, so I have pretty much anything that has to do with that, saved on my DVR. Now to American Films. Like I said, this could take forever, so i'll just name ten of my favorites. The Godfather, Blow, Gangs of New York, American History X, Good Will Hunting, The Dark Knight, Braveheart, Forrest Gump, Contact, DeJa Vu. I have about 100 more favorites, but i'll just keep it short for the sake of...I'M A HUGE MOVIE NERD! Haha.

How would you describe your film education?

I don't really have a so called, "film education." I pretty much just try to rely on my abilities to relate, sympathize, and empathize. Also, I try to detatch myself from my own life as much as possible while on set, so i'm able to BE that other character. Never went to school for acting. I would love to go if I was given a chance, and had the money. For now though, I guess i'm just gonna have to be self taught, and try to learn as much as possible from other's who have been in the industry longer.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

The film scene in Boston is GREAT right now. I call it the Hollywood of the east. So many movies have been shot here in the past ten years. It's really exciting. Besides giving Boston actors a better chance then having to move to L.A. or N.Y, it really makes me pround of where I live. Boston has so much history and talent, it's nice to be able to show the world what we have to offer.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Man, the social media is huge for the independant film industry. Before all this social media stuff, figuratively speaking, you could only reach the person next to you. Now, your reach extends pretty much all over the world. Facebook, besides taking over the planet! Has given people great opportunities to network, and follow their dreams. I don't know how we'd be able to promote as much as we do now, without these resources.

What is the casting process like?

The casting process, from what i've seen and been though, is very stressful. It's tough to stand up in front of people that you've just met and belt out some intense dialouge. I can remember my first audition. I was so excited because I thought we were gonna be up on the stage in front of everyone and be able to really show what we've got. Nope, I was wrong. They broke us up into small groups and had us walk up to a table with two people sitting at it, and just stare at you, while you spit your dialouge to them. Needless to say, I didn't feel like I did very well. I somehow was given a callback, but didn't respond, because I had a feeling that they were just looking for new money for their school. Had I felt like I, "Knocked it outta the park," then I probably would have called back. The auditions for, "Mark of the Dog Rose" were a great learning experience though. It was nice to see that I wasn't the only one who get's nervous in that situation. Whether it was a younger kid auditioning, or someone in there 50's, 60's or older, they all were nervous and all were a little shakey. So that made me feel much better and more at ease, the next time I go out to an audition.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

If I could go back in time and see one movie being made, I guess off the top of my head it would have to be, "The Wizard of Oz." It's amazing how one movie can still have an impact on you 22 year's later since the first time you saw it. I would love to see how they made the costumes, did the special effects, how the actors prepared, and most of all, I wouldn't mind meeting Judy Garland. ; ) Yes, I know she was 16 when she was casted for this, but it's 2011 now, so she'd be 89. Don't really know where I was going with that, but I don't know where the nearest time machine is anyways, so......next question. Haha.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

Favorite movie quote?!? Man, that's a tough one. I mean, I can pretty much quote the entire Dumb and Dumb movie. "Ski's huh?" "Ya." "Cool."

"That's right!" "Great! They yours?" "Uh-huh." "Both of 'em?" "Yes." "Um. Cool!" Haha. It's funny, i'm not a big comedy movie fan, but for some reason, those are the quotes that stick in my head the most. I'll keep this question short too, because it too could go on for awhile. Haha.

 

 

 

 

 

Thanks for doing the interview Giancarlo. I look forward to watching "Mark Of The Dog Rose" when it comes out on DVD.

2 comments:

  1. Giancarlo is a natural, you can see his dedication to the art of acting. It will only make him an actor that any producer or director or writer would want to work for them. Great Life Light Giancarlo! Keep on going, because your passion for the art is only going to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think other website owners should take this site as an example , very clean and great user pleasant style and design . "Grant us a brief delay impulse in everything is but a worthless servant." by Caecilius Statius.

    ReplyDelete