Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Writer/Director Aaron Hultgren




Aaron Hultgren has been writing since before you were born (if you were born after 2005).  Having studied screenwriting at UCLA, he now writes screenplays, teleplays and 160-character tweets. 

What is the current project you are working on?



We're deep in the bowels of post-production on The Last Man(s) On Earth feature film.  It's an action-comedy in which the Blind Kid from Dumb and Dumber and the Golf Pro from High School Musical IIset out to stop the man-made destruction of the end of the world.

Season Two of the Last Man(s) webseries is also just getting underway.  If you haven't seen Season One, visit: http://www.youtube.com/thelastmansonearth.  You may or may not be disappointed.

Overall, a lot of Last Man(s) business is going on.

How do you handle rejection?


As a lover, pretty poorly.  As a writer, rather well.

It's a competitive business.  The key for me is being my own harshest critic, which if anything ensures that I love my work.  Not everyone is going to love what you create.  At the very least, you can love what you've created.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?


I always wanted to be in the entertainment business.  For a long time I thought I'd be entertaining people as a professional baseball player.  Then I turned twelve.

 What inspired you to become filmmaker?


Sitting in a cubicle for three years as a public relations professional was the most inspiring thing I've ever done.  It motivated me to stop wasting away and to do what I really wanted to do.  It motivated me to get into UCLA and learn to become a better screenwriter.

 What is the best thing about being one?


The best thing about being a filmmaker is the writing process and the collaboration of bringing a script to life.

 What is the worst thing about being one?


The worst thing about being a filmmaker is the length of time it takes to bring a script to life.

 Who is is your favorite filmmaker?


If I had to pick one filmmaker, I'd pick three: Wes Anderson, Spike Jonze and Edgar Wright.

 How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?


I'm much happier.  And much more excited when I get a paycheck.

 What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?


I watch a lot of documentaries.  Like a lot lot.  Great films make you care.  They make you laugh, cry, feel something deep down inside-- whether fiction or nonfiction.  There are so many great American and foreign films.  And like best friends, they come in all shapes and sizes and names.

As for TV shows, I'd love to be a television writer.  The shows I DVR include: Modern Family; It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia; Archer; Party Down; Parks and Recreation; and reruns of Arrested Development (thanks, G4!).  I'm also known not to change the channel when The Bachelor comes on.

 How would you describe your film education?


Excellent on paper.  But in reality the best film education is experience.

 How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?


I'm in LA.  So it's OK.

 How has social media changed the independent film industry?


It's opened opportunities to market your film directly to new audiences.  It also gives viewers the chance to interact directly with those same filmmakers bugging them to watch their movies.  It's great.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?


Heart it.

 How does independent film differ from the mainstream?


To me indie film means that it doesn't have studio funding or a clear distribution channel in place when it's produced.  But with advances in film making technologies, many indie films employ the same cameras, editing software, actors and below-the-line talent as mainstream movies.  In a way, indie films have become-- if not more mainstream-- more commonplace than studio films.

 You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?


Casablanca because the ending was up in the air for so long and the script was still being written while shooting.  Film making is a magical and collaborative process.  This revered film proves it.

 What's your favorite movie quote and why?


"Luke, I am your father." -- The Empire Strikes Back.  I remember seeing this on TV when I was a kid and freaking out.
Is there anything else you would like to add?

I love film making and combining with other talented people to turn an idea into an entertaining story.  That's what makes working on Last Man(s) so enjoyable.  Producer and co-director Joe England is a good friend from UCLA; Eric Dove is a terrific cinematographer; Adam Krupowicz has so much talent as a sound tech; Charan Prabhaker and Brady Bluhm are such great actors; and Kenlon Clark, our editor, is bringing so much style to the edit of the feature.  I'm also greatly looking forward to working with Kevin Lee, our composer.

In sum, let me just say that I'm honored to have written and directed this film.  It's the most rewarding project I've worked on to date.

Thanks for doing the interview Aaron. I'm in the process of watching The Last Man(s) On Earth. I'll be on the look our for season two. Good luck with the feature film.

No comments:

Post a Comment