Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Filmmaker Jordan Mitchell



"Much of Jordan Mitchell's work, be it film, animation or video, makes the effort not simply to represent, but to engage viewers in thought. She creates stories that are complex, creative, and complete. She is always looking to go beyond what is expected of her and to make a statements about how she sees the world." - Mark Lewis, Digital Media Professor.

Follow Jordan on Twitter @JFilmsCinema

Check out Jordan's projects on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/liljaha13

What is the current project you are working on? - I'm currently working on two projects. One is a series called Sessions, a light hearted comedy about a young man's life and therapy sessions. The other project is DIG, a stop motion film I'm expanding on.

How do you handle rejection? - Rejection is always hard, no matter what the circumstances may be. I see rejection as a test of how well we can pick ourselves up again. Each rejection is a stepping stone that leads to where we're really meant to be. When I'm rejected, it inspires me to work ten times harder so I can improve and grow as a filmmaker.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker? - When I was younger I actually wanted to be a writer. I was constantly writing stories but when I discovered filmmaking everything changed. It was then that I discovered the difference between what came easy, and what I was passionate for. If I had become a writer I'm sure I would have been content in my life, but I would always want more. Filmmaking gives me a true happiness I've never known before.

What inspired you to become filmmaker? - When I was fifteen one of my friends sent me an e-mail. She had heard about a contest, Fresh Films, that she thought I would do well in. She knew I wanted to be a writer, so she thought I might be interested in script writing. I was selected along with nine other kids to go to Los Angeles for a week and be apart of a film crew. That week changed the rest of my life. Every part of the process, from scripting, casting, preproduction, production, etc. was incredible and got me hooked.

What is the best thing about being one? - The best part is the creative freedom it gives you. No matter what you make, no one can tell you it's wrong or that it's not right. If you don't like the way a story goes, you have the power to change it. What I love the most about it, the ability to connect a theater full of strangers to one another through your film. They're watching your story unfold on screen and experiencing similar emotions. Every so often I look around the theater during a movie to see how people are reacting, what makes their eyes light up. A majority of the time, the reaction I see on someone's face is similar to the person's next to them and they don't even realize they're sharing a moment. When the movie's over, there's nothing better than side conversations you hear while leaving the theater. It's those little things that I live for in the industry.

What is the worst thing about being one? - The worst thing for me would be the problems that come about while editing, especially on a deadline. There have been a few times where I've made a nice project, but the software stops responding. You try everything to save it, but the only option is to exit and start all over again. So my suggestion is to save as you go!

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on? - Overall I've worked on 30 projects that range from commercials, short films, animation, and stop motion projects.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker? - I am a big fan of Jon Favreau and Steven Spielberg. I love that Favreau not only directs his own films, but stars in them as well. I enjoy Spielberg's work because the stories have substance, real depth that we can relate to. That's what I wish to accomplish in my films, not just to entertain but to engage the audience and make them think.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker? - My family has always described me as "shy" or "bashful." Filmmaking has helped me gain more confidence and given me a voice. To a complete stranger, a camera would be nothing more than a piece of machinery. In my eyes it's not a cold and unfeeling fabrication, to me it is passion, excitement, and everything I am and hope to be. I've found my identity through filmmaking, and I hope to continue doing what I love.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the business? - Never give up. Rejection is not a bad thing, it only pushes you in the right direction. So no matter how many people tell you no, keep going.

How would you describe your film education? - I was blessed with two professors who really inspired and pushed me to do my best. Professor Erik Jacobson and Mark Lewis taught me a lot not only about film, but about life as well. Professor Jacobson taught us the history of film, but he also taught the importance of human decency. We were always reminded that we should be kind to everyone, no matter how big or small their job is. They are an essential part of the process and without them, production is not possible. Professor Lewis taught us editing and animation, but he stressed the importance of creativity, giving us no boundaries. Our projects were not only art, but they were statements about who we were as individuals. I do not believe I would be who I am today without their guidance and support.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream? - I feel independent films have a little more heart than mainstream. I love them both, but when I watch an independent film I feel like I'm getting to know the filmmaker better. The subjects are usually close to home, so they put their heart and soul into it. They're not censored as much, and when you stand next to them as they show the film, watch their reaction after the credits. I've had a few of my friends screen their work and I see this immense pride come over them. As independent filmmakers, they're honored to have a few people view their work, and it's a very humbling experience.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why? - I would love to go back and see how Jaws was created. I know there were a lot of problems with the mechanical shark and it would be interesting to see how it was handled. Spielberg named the shark "Bruce" after his lawyer. Another film I would love to see being made is Larry Crowne. It's a newer film with Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts, but it is amazing. I feel it really portrays what many people are facing today with the economy, job loss, and education system.

What's your favorite movie quote? - "That's part of your problem. You haven't seen enough movies. All of life's riddles are answered in the movies." - Steve Martin as Davis in Grand Canyon (1991)

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels? - Most of the time, I don't feel a movie should be remade or have sequels. It takes away from the original creation, but there are a few that have been well done. It really depends on the quality and if they stick to the same outline.

No comments:

Post a Comment