Monday, August 15, 2011

Filmmaker Sean J.S. Jourdan

Originally from Albuquerque, New Mexico, Sean J.S. Jourdan now lives and works from Denver, Colorado where he relocated after receiving a MFA degree in film and video at Columbia College Chicago. Following his graduation and employment as a chemical engineer from the University of Missouri-Columbia, a lifelong interest in storytelling and human nature led him to Washington University in St. Louis where he earned a MA in drama. His work gradually developed from theater to film where he has worked as an award-winning screenwriter and director. A Top 5 Finalist in the MTVu Best Filmmaker on Campus Competition, Sean's award-winning short films are currently distributed by Shorts International, via iTunes and BigStar.tv. His feature length screenplay, The Beekeeper, was recently a finalist for the Sundance Screenwriter’s Lab.

What is the current project you are working on?

Currently working on a couple of things. The major project on my plate right now is getting my first feature off the ground, “Teddy Boy.” It’s a thriller about a rising tennis star who becomes entangled in a savage charade with a grieving middle-aged couple while staying in their picturesque mountain home. The screenplay just finished 3rd in the thriller category of the Wood’s Hole Film Festival is or has been a finalist in a number of other competitions (Beverly Hills Film Festival, Cinestory, Big Bear Lake Film Festival). It was written to specifically take advantage of all that Colorado has to offer in terms of talent, crew, and amazing locations. The other feature screenplay on that I’m looking to get off the ground is a drama – “The Beekeeper.” A finalist for the Sundance Screenwriters Lab it just missed the cutoff for the Nicholls Screenwriting Fellowship this year. We shot the first part of the script as a short that’s currently on iTunes. The other is a short doc on local Colorado filmmaker/psychedelic guru John Hartman and his latest film “Planet Diva.” The project was recently highlighted by the Onion’s AV Club.

How do you handle rejection?

It’s tough out there and that’s something I’ve learned very early. Rejection happens more than acceptance. In my opinion, it’s a part of being a filmmaker – of putting yourself and your work out there. Really it’s like being a ballplayer. If you’re hitting .300 you’re doing well. I try to never take anything personally. Whoever rejects you today could accept you tomorrow – ALWAYS leave that door open. Life is too short.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

It’s been a long journey. I’ve always loved art, math and science so graduated as a chemical engineer from college and was employed as an environmental engineer. I thought I could combine my love of both into that profession but, for me, filmmaking is a better fit. It’s a great profession for a curious mind – you get to research people and subjects that interest you as part of your research. You become a student of human nature plus you get to implement technology creatively. But mostly I like to see my imagination come to life.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

In college I took a film class where we watched Jean-Luc Goddard’s Breathless. I was blown away. A theatre actor at that time, I later moved into directing for the stage. Intimacy was paramount. What could be greater than being a fly in Willy Loman’s living room? Film provided a medium to achieve this intimacy so that’s what I eventually gravitated to.

What is the best thing about being one?

Working with your friends. Going on adventures. Most of all, as I mentioned before, seeing your imagination come to life. That’s priceless.

What is the worst thing about being one?

The grinding work and rejection that is a part of daily life. It’s akin to running a small business. There’s really no days off. You have to do something every day that furthers a project and/or your career. If you don’t open the shop, no one will.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Good question – 20+.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

That’s tough. Roman Polanski, if pressed. Ingmar Bergman. Stanley Kubrick. Michael Hennke. John Cassavetes.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

I make a lot less money than when I was an engineer! But I get to make up shit for a living. How great is that?

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Be a problem solver and add value to whatever you work on (and work on everything). The rise is meteoric.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

Holding and playing with my baby daughter. Spending time with my family. Reading. Napping. Swimming in waterfalls. Colorado is a beautiful place to spend outdoors winter or summer.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Environmental engineer for a large privately owned mining and manufacturing firm.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Knife in the Water, Apocalypse Now, Vertigo, Diary of a Country Priest, Solaris, White Ribbon. Always loved reruns of The Twilight Zone.

How would you describe your film education?

Excellent. Went to Columbia College where you have access to great instructors, crew and gear. But they don’t give you everything – you have to hustle. Good prep for life outside of film school.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

The film scene in Denver is small but growing and dedicated. We’re fortunate to have a new commissioner, Donald Zuckerman, who, having produced over 20+ features brings a ton of experience and knowledge. The talent is here – both in front of and behind the camera – the locations are amazing. Really, it’s only a matter of time before things take off. I certainly hope to be a part of it.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Tremendously. In many ways it’s an avenue to inexpensive (free) marketing that was previously unavailable. More importantly, it’s an easy and public way to engage with an audience. Access easily flows both ways. I enjoy it in that I can keep up to date with what my friends are up to. It’s a great way to promote people and projects you believe in.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

Fund raising, in my opinion, is the hardest part of filmmaking. It truly separates the wheat from the shaft. If crowdfunding helps a project get off the ground – more power to it. It’s not really about begging – it’s about validation. Really the greatest amount of validation when people believe in you so much they’re willing to contribute money to help you realize your dream. How unselfish is that? It’s a great platform that I hope will spark a new wave in art, not just film.

What is your process for conducting interviews for your narrative project?

For crew positions it’s mostly word of mouth. I typically ask someone I trust who they would recommend. In this business a person’s reputation is critically important and when someone vouches for you – it’s a good sign. Then we’ll usually meet for coffee to see if there’s a mutual interest/fit. The interview goes both ways and the same goes for auditions. I’ll often cast a wide net for cast – recommendations, postings, etc. – and everyone gets a read. You never ever know when you’ll find a diamond in the rough. Also, I try to attend as many local screenings as I can and if I’m impressed with someone’s work, I’ll definitely make an effort to introduce myself.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Good question. I’m familiar with the independent world much more than the mainstream. I imagine in the mainstream the budget’s are larger and the casts more well known but there’s also more pressure. I don’t think it ever gets easier… well, maybe a little.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

I would love to see Alfred Hitchcock at work. His meticulous attention to detail. His relationship to his actors and crew as well as his tremendous visual story telling ability.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

I don’t remember a lot of movie quotes but the one I do is from Blade Runner when the replicant, played by Rutger Hower, dies:

“I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.”

So moving in it’s proper context. Poetry.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

Sometimes they work (The Godfather, Batman) and sometimes they don’t. I wish more original material would be produced but the remakes and sequels make money. And they keep my talented friends employed and at the top of their game. I couldn’t be more grateful.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

They’re two entirely different mediums. Rather than an adaptation it should be more of an “inspiration.” Though some of my favorite films have been created using short stories and novels as source material. American Psycho is one.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

This is a very difficult and highly competitive industry where working a 12-hour day is normal. Don’t ever ever quit. And don’t forget to have fun doing it.

 

 

 

Thanks for doing the interview Sean. Keep me posted on the progress of your film.  It's inspiring to see independent filmmakers follow there dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment