Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Filmmaker Robert Luke

Writer/Director, Robert Luke is an Austin, Texas native who studied film and drama at the University of New Orleans before making his first feature film, The Man in the Garage at the age of 21. Luke finds inspiration from life, friends, films of any genre, art and comic books. His favorite drink is a Jameson on the rocks and appreciates cuss words, Johnny Cash, micro-brewed beers, and tattooed girls with thick glasses.

What is the current project you are working on?

I am currently in post production on a film called Succubus. It's the second part of a series of shorts I'm making right now for a compilation of short films that revolve around the supernatural themes of love and death. Succubus is about a former boxer who makes love to a demon to get over the feelings of guilt he holds after accidentally killing a man. However every time she seduces him, she kill his friends and family.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

I've always wanted to be a film maker. As far as I can remember I've always wanted to make movies even when I thought it was impossible. I think the earliest I can remember was seeing Tim Burton's Batman and wanting to make that.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

It's hard to say what inspired me since there was no clear moment when I knew what I had to do with my life. When I was a teenager, I wrote stories and eventually films to feel less angsty. Later as an adult, I realized I'm not good at anything else so I better make sure I'm doing nothing but film making.

What is the best thing about being one?

The best part of film making is meeting and collaborating with awesome people. Some of them famous. For super quiet people like myself, I feel like I'm able to convey some raw emotions to people I've never met and I always get a thrill from that at screenings and film festivals.

What is the worst thing about being one?

The worst part of being a film maker is how much damned money you'll spend if you're funding yourself without a producer. Not just in making the movie but traveling around the country to show off your film.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Not counting student films, I've been involved with about five projects that I care to comment about.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

Great question. Not an easy one to answer, but I believe my favorite film maker would be Steven Spielberg. I know that's a cliche, but it's for a reason. Truthfully everybody (not just film dorks) loves at least one of his films and you can't really say that about any other director.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

I'm not sure if it has. I'm probably bossier, the more active I get. But I've been making films for so long I don't know if anything has really changed since getting more involved in films.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

The main thing I can say is start now, keep going, make mistakes and learn from them. Also be patient. If you're looking for instant gratification, film making might not be for you. Expect a pat in the back for your films years after you've made them. Not before you make them.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

Besides film making I like to work on computers and read comic books. Watch out, ladies!

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

I used to be a portrait photographer which was a lot of fun.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Even when condensing it, this is going to be a long list. My favorite American Films would be Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Terminator 2, Children of Men, The Empire Strikes Back, The Dark Knight, and Leon.

Foreign films: Let the Right One in, Run Lola run. I'm embarrassed at how short my foreign list is. I'm sure there are dozens that aren't coming to me right now.

However my favorite TV shows are Dexter, Stargate SG-1, Mission Hill, Six Feet Under, That 70s show, Star Trek, and King of the Hill.

How would you describe your film education?

I started studying film making in high school at the Johnston Liberal Arts Academy, followed by the Liberal Arts and Science Academy and then only took one year at the university of New Orleans before decided to just get out there and learn from experience. Making my first feature film when I was 21 is probably the most I've ever learned about film making.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

I live in Austin which has a big reputation for a film scene because of film makers like Robert Rodriguez, Mike Judge, Richard Linklater and sometimes Tarantino. However for everyone else, I feel like most film makers leave the city or state to make films and everybody else just talks about it. I even find myself going to Dallas or Houston because I have better connections with cast and crew out there.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Fantastic question. I feel like social media has mostly changed the way film makers communicate. A generic answer but there's a lot that goes into that. First of all, you can go on FaceBook and Twitter and announce your next project, even if you haven't started it yet. In some cases people will announce their next project and never start it. You can also improve your own face and name recognition without ever leaving your seat. Mostly i think social media is only used by film makers who are still getting their name out, while most professional film makers would only be on Facebook or twitter due to their own narcissism just like the rest of the world.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

Sometimes you can make it work. I've seen it work well but a lot of the times, sites like Kickstarter or Indiegogo become over used and abused which makes it obnoxious and kind of kills it for the people who use those great sites correctly.

What is the casting process like?

Casting for a film is in my opinion the easiest thing in the world. First of all, take the collection of actors in your area or that you know you can get. At this point you can either write for them in mind or figure out which one of these actors will make your character better than they already were. I normally pick actors that I'm familiar with. I haven't done a casting call in years but when I do, I never not find an awesome actor that pulls off the part perfectly.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Honestly the only difference between independent and mainstream is budget and marketability, most of the time. Films are made the same way. Otherwise most mainstream films are only made if they have some type of brand recognition, while independent films are usually made with original characters, unless based on a book. It's difficult to say what the differences are when you have mainstream directors like Christopher Nolan and self proclaimed independent directors like George Lucas. So at the end of the day, movies are movies.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

I would love to go back and see The Great Dictator be made. Charlie Chaplin was so ahead of his time and that is such a significant transition in film making given that it was his first talkie.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

This might be a lame answer, but in Terminator 2 when Arnie says, "I know now when you cry, but it is something I can never do." So much is said here. Now first of all you have a machine made for war and destruction trying to understand humanity. He then reveals that he can not self terminate which means it was never in his programming to end his "life", therefor this is a conscious decision he made after learning about people and how they exist and how he can never be a part of that. At the same time he reveals all of this to a bat shit crazy woman who in her quest to destroy the machines almost became robotic in her personality and soul. This line said by the robot gives her some type of understanding and hope of humanity allowing her to respect this robot that she's wanted dead for the whole damned movie.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

I think sequels are awesome when a character’s story is not over. Obviously Alien had two great sequels, Star Wars would’ve been half of the movie that it is if it never had two sequels to follow it. I suppose if the sequel can make the film better and continue a story, it’s great. When a sequel uselessly continues a character’s story that was already over, it just feels tired and sometimes ruins the efforts of the original film. I don't like remakes.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

So many films are adapted from books, it's hard to have any differentiating opinions on them. It seems silly when it's a brand new book or when a book is made only so a movie can be adapted from it, like Jurassic Park: The Lost World. Some books make fantastic films like Lord of the Rings, but really it doesn't really mater how good a book is. Shitty movies are still shitty movies no matter the source. I do hate it when movies not based on a book are retitled to use a classic book's name recognition.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Nah, I'm good.

 

 

 

 

Thanks for doing the interview Robert. Keep me posted on the progress of Succubus.

No comments:

Post a Comment