Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Filmmaker/Actor Blayne Weaver

A native of Bossier City, Louisiana, Weaver has studied in New York, Oxford and graduated from UCLA with a degree in English Literature. In 2002 he co-wrote and acted in the critically acclaimed feature film Manic, which stars Don Cheadle and premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. Weaver then formed Secret Identity Productions and produced the short film Losing Lois Lane, which Weaver co-wrote,directed and starred in as Superman. He then wrote, directed and starred in Secret Identity's first feature film Outside Sales, which won awards on the film festival circuit and was released nationwide through Echo Bridge Entertainment. Weaver wrote, directed and played a small role in SIP’s next feature Weather Girl with an ensemble cast that boasted Tricia O’Kelley, Mark Harmon, Jon Cryer and Jane Lynch. Weather Girl had an extensive festival run followed by a ten city theatrical and a worldwide television and DVD release. Weaver wrote, directed and stars in SIP’s next feature 6 Month Rule which  hit the festival circuit in the fall of 2011.

What is the current project you are working on?

I starred in the thriller “Favor” for writer/director Paul Osborne this Summer and I have just finished post production on “6 Month Rule” which I wrote/directed and starred in.  “6 Month Rule” is a relationship dramedy about a single guy who teaches his best friend his rules on avoiding emotional attachment.  The cast includes Martin Starr (“Freaks and Geeks”, “Party Down”), Natalie Morales (“Parks and Rec”, “The Middle Man”), Patrick J. Adams (USA’s new hit “Suits”, “Weather Girl”) Dave Foley (“Kids in the Hall”), Jaime Pressly (“My Name is Earl”) and John Michael Higgins (“Bad Teacher”).

And HEY, feel free to check out: www.6monthrulemovie.com

How do you handle rejection?

Not well.  Making a film is a constant battle and if you’re not pissed off when you get rejected, you’re not fighting hard enough.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

For a brief stint I wanted to be a secret agent and then Batman, other than that I’ve always wanted to work in this industry. I started my career as an actor, then began writing, then moved into directing.  Now I do all three as well as produce through my company Secret Identity Productions.  And HEY, feel free to check out: www.secretidentityproductions.com

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

I became a writer because I was frustrated with the parts I was auditioning for. I just felt I could write better material. I became a director because I didn’t care for the way my writing was being treated by the directors.  I guess I’m a filmmaker because I have a real problem with authority.  I’m okay with that.

What is the best thing about being one?

The best thing about being a filmmaker is getting to craft a story from the beginning all the way through to its completion.  You get to write scenes you see in your head, choose actors who will bring that vision to life, create a look and visual feel, choose the music, the color palate, then decide how to market the film and finally, you get to stand in front of an audience and present your work.  It’s really a great job.

What is the worst thing about being one?

The bullshit that comes with getting your film to the next level.  Everyone wants to be on a date with Fonzie.  So you’re constantly looking for ways to make your movie Fonzie.  Maybe it’s by casting a movie star or being accepted by a film festival or a sales rep, whatever.  It has almost nothing to do with the quality of the film but who is willing to stand behind your film.  And it’s fickle and it’s annoying.  That’s the worst part.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

As an actor, I have no idea.  I’ve been working in commercials, television shows and films since I was sixteen years old.

As a writer I have seven produced screenplays… and I directed three of those: “6 Month Rule”, “Weather Girl and “Outside Sales”.

And HEY, feel free to check out: www.weathergirlmovie.com

Or purchase “Outside Sales” at http://www.amazon.com/Outside-Sales-Lucas-Fleischer/dp/B001AYX77I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1313465319&sr=8-5

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

Once you’ve completed the enormous task of making a film, you realize how much one is actually capable of.  There are so many out there who are terribly anxious to tell you what can’t be done.  Being a filmmaker gave me a real sense that I can accomplish anything if I work hard at it.  I mean I’m a teacher’s kid from Bossier City, Louisiana who just finished directing his third feature film.  No one could have guessed that I would end up here but I wanted it… so here I am.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

It’s all about the team.  No one person can make a good film.  You need to surround yourself with the most talented people you can find and then listen to them when they talk.  You don’t have to take their advice or criticism but you need to have heard it.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

If I wasn’t working in this industry… and I couldn’t bankroll a career as Batman… I would like to work in politics.  A behind the scene kind of job where I could help build a campaign and fight hard for something I believe in.  My bet is that a political campaign is not that different from making a movie.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker? 

Are we counting the hundreds of hours I’ve spent carrying a tray and asking people if they would like another glass of Chardonnay?

How would you describe your film education?

My film education began with my time on sets as an actor.  I saw what worked and what didn’t.  I saw the directors who knew what they wanted when they walked on set and those who decided to make it up on the day, You have to have respect for the script, the talent you’re working with and the film you want to make.  You’d be surprised how many don’t. 

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

 

I’ve got a core group of friends and collaborators that work in the film world.  It’s great to have experienced friends you can learn from as well as greener friends you can help along.  I’ve been very lucky with the talented human beings I’m lucky enough to call a friend.  Sometimes a conversation with someone who has been there can be priceless.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Social Media has, in a way, changed the business as much as digital technology.  New inexpensive high quality cameras came on the market and made it so that a guy like me could make a feature film without studio backing.  Social Media has allowed a guy like me to reach out to the marketplace without spending a fortune on publicity.  I think it’s awesome.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

I think it’s great but I also think it’s life span is a short one.  Three months ago I helped raise some money through Kickstarter for Paul Osborne’s film “Favor”.  It was great.  Friends came out from all corners and were really supportive.  Paul worked hard to include the investors in the filmmaking process and, as a result, I think it was a positive experience for everyone.

That being said, I can’t really ask those friends for help again.  It was a one time shot for a one-time project and, at least for me, that was it.  Some great things are getting made.  It’s an exciting time.

What is the casting process like?

For all of my films I’ve cast primarily through making offers.  I love to get to hear actors audition and read the scenes but there is something really cool about looking at someone’s body of work and making an offer based on “I would love to see them do this”.  For “Weather Girl” we made an offer to Mark Harmon to play this sleazy local television news anchor.  I just loved the idea of this charming, stoic, badass playing this total tool.  Luckily, Mark Harmon liked the idea too.

For “6 Month Rule” I had a great opportunity.  Patrick J. Adams was one of the stars of “Weather Girl”.  He played a laid back, under achieving everyman.  I offered him the part of an amped up, self-absorbed rock star.  I love that I had worked with Patrick and knew how great he was and that he could play someone totally opposite in another of my films.  He could do the job, even though it was so different from the work we did before.  So many people get cast in things because it’s all they do… or all they’re allowed to do.  I like to switch it up.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

I think the biggest difference, aside from the exposure that the final film receives, is the creative control.  In my experience writing for studios, there are just so many cooks in the kitchen.  I’ve often received notes that do nothing to improve the film so then you end up just jumping through hoops.  This is not to say that all independent films are great while all studio films are terrible… but in Independent film, at least you have the opportunity to bring your vision to the screen without having cut through the red tape of a studio.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

I wanna go see that “Three Men and a Baby” ghost boy.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

“I’ve got a job to do, too and where I’m going, you can’t follow.  What I’ve got to do, you can’t be any part of.  I’m no good at being noble but it doesn’t take much to see that the problems of three little people don’t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.  Someday you’ll understand that… Now, now.  Here’s looking at you, kid.“

-Casablanca

Why is that my favorite quote?  Because it’s freaking awesome, that’s why.

Is there anything else you would like to add?           

Go see “6 Month Rule” and “Favor” in 2012.  Do it.

 

 

 

Thanks for doing the interview Blayne. I  await my chance to see "favor" and “6 Month Rule” when they come to a festival near me. I will check out  “Weather Girl”.

2 comments:

  1. Blayne, please feel free to ask me for a donation again, If I can i sure will. Good luck to you and all you do. Lots of love Patti Dyer ( Aimee and Robbie Carey's MOM ) Go Big or Go Home!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had the oppotunity to work with Blayne and SIP on 2 projects, one of the things I like about him is his excitement and totally positive attitude every day on set. I look forward to the next time we can work and do what we both enjoy.

    ReplyDelete