Saturday, August 13, 2011

Actor/Screenwriter/Producer Langley McArol

[caption id="attachment_1648" align="aligncenter" width="139" caption="Photo Credit: Josh Parker Photography"][/caption]

Langley began Acting in High School, and continued through college. Then, auditioned and received a national scholarship to the American Musical & Dramatic Academy in New York. In 1999, Langley relocated to North Carolina, and almost immediately began working. Soon after, he earned his Screen Actors Guild card from Director, DJ Caruso (Eagle Eye, I Am Number Four) on a short lived television series for Showtime.  Since then, he has appeared in such Television productions as Teen Spirit, One Tree Hill, and Dawson's Creek, as well as, dozens of Film productions, both mainstream and independent.   Langley is also a Screenwriter, placing in various national Film & Television competitions.  He has worked behind the camera as a Producer in several independent films.  His short film, SUPERHERO, is currently making its way through the festival circuit, and being used to raise money & awareness for Pediatric Cancer.

What is the current project you are working on? Currently, I’m performing in a stage production of “Moonlight & Magnolias,” playing legendary screenwriter, Ben Hecht (Gone With the Wind, Scarface).  I’m also promoting my short film, SUPERHERO, which was filmed last year (2010) and has been submitted to over 20 film festivals around the world.

How do you handle rejection? How does a starving monkey handle having a banana dangled in front of him and not being able to squeeze through the cage bars?  Seriously, though, I take rejection in stride.  This business is extremely subjective.  As an Actor, most of the time not getting a role has nothing to do with your ability.  Many times it’s because you’re slightly too short/tall to play opposite a previously cast Star.  Sometimes it’s political.  Sometimes it’s simply because your look doesn’t fit the Director’s vision.  Rejection is 99% of this industry.  You can’t take it personally.  I try to remind myself that, take a couple of days to mourn the loss, and move on to the next one.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?  No.  I wanted to be a singer.  It wasn’t until college when I took my first Acting class.  I was hooked.  After struggling to book jobs, I began writing as a way to make my own potential work.  From there, I started learning how to bring my vision to life, eventually taking an interest in producing.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?  I was writing short stories, performing for anyone who would watch, and creating characters from a very young age.  I was an only child, not at all popular, and desperately seeking attention.  My mother was very artistic and funny.  I did everything I could to make her laugh.  It was fulfilling to get her laughing.  We watched a lot of sitcoms, and movies.  It was a big part of my childhood.

What is the best thing about being one?  The best thing is, at the end of the day, realizing that you’ve accomplished something that only a handful of people in the world can do and truly appreciate.  Bringing talented people together to create something based on your own imagination.  Making people laugh as an Actor or Writer.  Being able to do what I love, and being true to myself.

What is the worst thing about being one?  In the Indie film world, the worst thing is the constant financial struggle.  There is very little money, very little time, and an abundance of neh sayers.  Indie film only pays in self accomplishment, and it’s hard to get your landlord, or the grocery stores, to accept a burned DVD of your film as payment.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on? As an Actor, over 30 films/TV shows, close to 100 stage performances, and several voice over projects.  As a producer, half a dozen.  The writing aspect is a constant.  I have so many short scripts, feature outlines, feature scripts partially finished, and episodes of a few different spec TV pilots, all on the hard-drive.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?  I have a few favorite filmmakers.  Ron Howard, Steven Spielberg, Jon Favreau is terrific Director.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?  Honestly, my life hasn't really changed.  I certainly feel happier when I’m on a film set.  My first love is Acting.  So, when I’m on set or a stage I feel completely at home.  My life changed when I realized that I wanted to be an Actor.  I felt as if I had finally found my direction (pun intended).

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?  I’m still trying to make it.  I guess the best advice I can offer in my current position would be to only pursue this industry if you can’t imagine doing anything else.  It’s not easy.  Go to school for 8 years and become a Doctor.  You’ll have more money, save lives, drive new cars, and be the one to tell your patients to “bend over.  This will only be uncomfortable for a moment.”  In the film industry... you’re the one usually grabbing your ankles.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?  Aside from Acting, Producing, and Writing, I also enjoy cooking.  I’m not a “chef” by any stretch, but I do enjoy cooking a meal.  It’s relaxing.  I love singing.  Photography would be a fun hobby if I had a nice camera.  I’d also like to one day buy a baby grand piano and learn to play.  I took lessons for a bit in college, and even bought a great keyboard.  Eventually, I had to sell it for rent money.  I have since sworn that one day I will be able to afford to by all the keyboards or pianos I want.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?  I worked my way through college as a Fitness Trainer.  I managed a Health Club for a few years.  Aside from that, my “day jobs” have always been in retail, management, and Acting.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?  I enjoy anything that makes me laugh, or get emotional.  My taste in comedies is many.  If it makes me laugh, it’s funny.  I do especially like intellectual comedy.  Witty sarcasm.  One of my favorite comedy films is “State and Maine” by David Mamet.  I’ve never really gotten into foreign films.  I’ve seen several, and have enjoyed most of them.  However, I don’t really have a favorite.  When it comes to Television, I love the sitcoms from the ‘80s.  “Three’s Company” was my absolute favorite.  I loved “Spin City” with Michael J. Fox.  “Malcolm In The Middle” was very fun.  I didn’t really get into Television Dramas until the past 10 years.  “Picket Fences,” “The Practice,” “The Shield,” “Justified,” and several others.

How would you describe your film education? Hands on.  As an Actor, I have always tried to observe the crew, Producers, and Directors during downtime on set.  The more you understand about their jobs, the better you can do yours.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?  I currently live in the South East.  Lots of filming takes place in North Carolina, Georgia, and Louisiana.  Independent film is constant, as well as major productions and Television series’.  It’s a great place to learn and get some credits before heading off to larger markets, like Los Angeles, or New York.  You won’t become a celebrity here, but if you’re willing to travel a lot, you can make a decent living.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?  Social media (Facebook, Twitter, and video sites such as youtube and vimeo) has changed the way Actors audition, Filmmakers distribute their creations, and made self-promotion much more efficient.  Being able to audition by videos posted on websites makes it convenient for everyone involved in the casting process.  Being able to post your film online ensures that someone will get to see your little film shot on a digital camera for under $500.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?  Crowdfunding has certainly helped me, and several of my fellow filmmakers.  However, unless you have countless hours to sit in front of the computer and promote it, or you can get a whole team of people to spread the word, it’s still difficult to raise serious money for those higher budget projects.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?  Lets see if this makes sense...  Independent film verses mainstream primarily means a film that was financed with less money, or money from private sources, as apposed to a major studio footing the bill.  There are many types of “independent” films, mostly due to the budget.  They can range anywhere from the price of the pizza’s you feed your cast and crew, to the million dollar action film with a recognizable B-list celebrity.  Any “independent” film can secure distribution before or after production.  Mainstream simply means that it was given the go-ahead, along with a phat check, from the beginning and preset release dates for Cinemas across the country.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?  I think I’d like to have been on set of E.T.  Just to watch Spielberg in his best years, and seeing the passion first hand that went into making that incredible film.  It was probably the best movie of my childhood.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?  I have many, but one that has always stood out to me was said by Danny DeVito in “Renaissance Man,” in which he steals a little bit from William Shakespeare;  The choices we make dictate the life we lead.  To thyne own self be true.  At the time this film came out, I was torn with a few life decisions.  This was just a line that spoke to me at the right time, and honestly helped me make choices that has led me where I am today.  For better or worse.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?  I think sequels used to be death.  In more recent years, many sequels have done well, and sometimes surpassed the first.  However, when it comes to remakes, I think there are some that can be entertaining, especially with the modern technology, but if they ever try to remake “E.T.” or “Streetcar Named Desire” I think I’ll have to take hostages.  You do not try and fix something that wasn’t broke to begin with.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?  They rarely work, but put in the right hands, can be just as magical as the book.  “Sideways,” for example, was much more enteraining than the book, in my opinion.

Is there anything else you would like to add?  I fell in love with Acting because, as strange as it may sound, being aloud to become other people was the only way I felt comfortable being myself.  It’s rewarding to know that I can use my emotions, voice, words, and whatever else I have to make people laugh, cry, and feel.  Whether I’m acting, or it’s my scripted words being said, there is no other career path that I could imagine being as rewarding as this.  I hope that I can do this until the day I die, and if I could actually pay my bills solely from this industry, that would great too!

Thank you for asking me to be part of your blog, and allowing me to share my experiences and passion with your readers.

 

 

 

 

Thanks for doing the interview Langley. I hope to see "Superhero" when it comes to a festival near me.

1 comment: