Sunday, August 21, 2011

Filmmaker Ramona Maramonte



Ramona has worked in the entertainment industry for over 25 years as a performing artist and in film production.  Her credits include the Bay Area production of SOLEDAD IS GONE FOREVER and appeared in the short DEL CIELO for EAST MEETS WEST PRODUCTIONS, directed by Julie Rubio and also helped cast on the production of OAKLAND B MINE directed by Mateen Kemet.  She was Co-Producer on the feature film SIX SEX SCENES AND A MURDER, also for East Meets West Productions, directed by writer/producer Julie Rubio. Ramona also Co-produced again with Julie Rubio on the feature film TOO PERFECT, which is now complete. Ramona will be directing and producing her own feature film she co-wrote, with Kelly Byrn, titled MOMS GOT MUSCLE and is also in the process of completing their second screenplay together called, AVA (working title) which will possibly be a web series.  She is also in development with Amanda Lin Costa, for two new reality series for TV, focusing on one of her passions of muscle cars. Ramona has also formed her own production company, MOMS GOT MUSCLE PRODUCTIONS, LLC. Ramona lives in the East Bay with her husband, Anthony, of 26 years and her 3 offspring, Robert, Tyler, Tonii.

What is the current project you are working on?

Right now I’m in pre-pre production of my own film MOMS GOT MUSCLE. So, instead of just producing, this time, I will be director, producer, co-writer with Kelly Byrn. Fun times ahead.

How do you handle rejection?

Hmmm. I’m not sure. I don’t think I have received rejection yet. LOL I don’t think I will take it to well. I don’t think I will take it at all. Can’t have the word no in my atmosphere at this point. I look at it more as, not this way, which would mean that I would find another way. “No” can’t happen.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

No, but I was always into anything entertainment. I started dancing and singing young. I should have been the first JLO. LOL I have always been a fan of film and a few years ago got the opportunity to participate on a short and work behind the scenes. I was hooked and that’s all she wrote.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

Not sure I was inspired as much as I just wanted to be involved. I started this career very late. I was almost 40 when I worked on the first short. I was intrigued.

What is the best thing about being one?

Well, I love the whole creative process. I love getting my hands dirty and just being involved in all aspects of making film. Well, I should say, I’ll try something at least once and figure out if that is something I would like to do again. I like being able to meet and collaborate with others of like mind. Just the whole process.

What is the worst thing about being one?

I would say the whole money/funding aspect. It makes me sad that there are probably so many great films out there that won’t be made due to no funding. I know it’s necessary, but that is the worse thing to me.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Estimated?? That is funny. Not hard to keep track of. I have worked on 5 projects. Soledad is Gone Forever, Del Cielo, Six Sex Scenes and a Murder, Oakland B Mine, Too Perfect.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

Not sure I have a favorite. I guess, of course, Spielberg. I love the feeling I have watching a Spielberg film. I have no real allegiance to a filmmaker. I just love film and if it moves me, you’ve done a great job.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

Now, not to much. It consumes my mind more than anything. When I have worked on projects in the past, I was gone more. My kids are all older so I am getting more and more free time. Which means, more time to make films.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Do what you want. Don’t let others, the naysayers, get in your head. People are making film all the time and if that is what you want to do, then do it. For the most part, it won’t be easy, but that, to me, the beauty of it.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

Haha, well, I love spending time with the kids, when they let me. My son Rob is 22, my daughters, Tyler, 18, Tonii, 16. My husband Anthony, of 26 years and I are always at the movies. I am also a couponer. LOL Yep, I clip the coupons and try to spend as less as I can at the store. I also then clip coupons that are expired for the military families overseas. It is actually very time consuming and think I have carpal tunnel now because of it. It’s a great cause, so I don’t mind.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Before kids, I would work in various offices, but back in 1993 when my second baby was born, I stopped working outside the home.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Films? Wow, that is so hard. I guess my favorite American film would be ROCKY. I remember going with my dad to see a “boxing” movie. He was a huge fight fan, so I went and I was hooked. The feeling I had after seeing that film, was overwhelming to me and I fell in love with film. Foreign? I dunno. None jump out. I did like some films, La Misma Luna, Sin Nombre. TV? Oh, you got a minute. I am a reality show junkie. Yes, sir. No shame here. I love watching mainly the more physical competition stuff, but on a day with nada to do, I will catch up on The Bachelor. LOL I even have 2 shows I have created with my friend Amanda Lin Costa. So, who knows?? I do love a good series also. Right now, I’m into Breaking Bad, True Blood, Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, Damages. You know the list.

How would you describe your film education?

Uh, sitting in a theater. Just watching movies. I, personally, don’t think you need film school. I am from the land of learn as you do. LOL But if I had had the chance back in the day to go to film school, I probably would be there front and center. I am liking my on the job training and learning as I go, keeps it interesting.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Well, I’m from the Bay Area in CA. Of course San Francisco has a great film community. I really would like to see the other side, the East Bay, Oakland, Berkeley, Orinda (my town), Lafayette, Walnut Creek, get more active. It’s starting. We filmed Too Perfect in Orinda and now other filmmakers are also shooting there. The California Independent Film Festival is based there and I see it only getting bigger and better. I think now’s the time for the East Bay to get some recognition.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

I think it has brought us all closer. I have found some great people on Twitter that have helped me in such huge ways already on Moms Got Muscle. (Kristin Thomas @indiefilmgirl, Amanda Lin Costa @TheLoneOlive, Angelo Bell @angelobell, Danielle Eskinazi @daniellecasting, Thomas Roberts @TRStudios) I have my first crew members for Moms Got Muscle because of Twitter (My DP, Christopher Marino @chrisMmarino, my AD,Joe Mesiano @joemesiano) My graphic Designer I also found on Twitter (Brian Goff @briangoff). So, social media has been good to me. I love to keep up with others projects (such as CRAWL with @OklahomaWard and @bellanikki85) and help them spread the word via Face Book and Twitter and now Google+. I love hearing about other film projects how they are getting it done. So, I pay attention and take notes and utilize when I can. It is a great community to be in and if not for social media I would be missing out.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

Well, I will let you know after my campaign is done. LOL I like the idea and I see that it has been successful for other filmmakers, so why not me? I’m gonna give a shot very soon here. So stay tuned.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

I would say story. I always lean more toward indie film only because of the heart and soul you usually find in the story. When you have very little money to throw at a film, you better have a good story to keep your audience interested. To me, that is the bottom line. If they are happy (the audience) then I did a good job.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

Oh wow, great question. Well, I will have to say ROCKY. LOL From what I understood Stallone had all kinds of issues going on trying to get that film made. He WAS Rocky and we all know how it ended up. So, just to see that creative process happen and all the behind the scenes wheeling and dealing, that would interest me. Also SINGING IN THE RAIN and WEST SIDE STORY. Just because I love musicals and those two are my faves.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

Well, I have 2 I will mention. I would go with the standard “I’ll make him an offer he can’t refuse.” Who doesn’t love The Godfather. But, I am going with, of course, Rocky. When he is laying in bed with Adrian before the big fight with Apollo and says that he is telling her he knows he won’t win, but all he wants to do is just go the distance. LOVE THAT! Getting ones self-respect is so huge. My number two is from A League of Their Own, when Gena Davis is gonna quit and tells Tom Hanks it got hard, he says “It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great.” That can used for so many reasons and I hear that in my head a lot lately, in regards to my film project.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

Sequels, I’m ok with. I usually will go, I like to see how the character has evolved. I don’t like sequels when they just re-do the first movie (Hello, HANGOVER). Remakes, I’m not so sure. It depends on what movie.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

No problem. I am usually not disappointed. While I am reading I am always trying to see the film in my head. So, I’m not hate’n on that at all.

Is there anything else you would like to add

I am so happy to finally be doing something that I have always wanted to do. I love that more and more females are becoming filmmakers and working behind the camera. C’mon girls!! I’m no film scholar, just a lover of film. I just want to make films that people can watch and be entertained. I know I’m starting a little late in life, but one of my fave sayings is “Over the hill only means you pick up speed”. Peace

1 comment:

  1. [...] Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/MomsGotMuscleProds Interview with director Ramona Maramonte: http://johnhoff3.wordpress.com/2011/08/21/filmmaker-ramona-maramonte/ Audio Interview with Ramona Maramonte and her DP, Chris Marino: [...]

    ReplyDelete