Thursday, August 11, 2011

Filmmaker Kevin Armento

A writer for screen, stage, and print, Kevin has studied dramatic writing with New York University and the ICA London. His play Bets & Blue Notes was awarded Outstanding Playwright at the 2007 California Fritz Blitz of New Plays, and named Best New Play of the Year by the San Diego Union-Tribune and the San Diego Gay & Lesbian Times. His play Companion Piece has been performed at the Last Frontier Theatre Conference, OnStage Playhouse in San Diego, and with Fresh Ground Pepper in New York, and will be performed by the North American Actors Association in London in 2012. His screenplays have received honors at the Slamdance Film Festival, Los Angeles International Film Festival, New York City Horror Film Festival, Action on Film Festival, and the Washington D.C. International Horror Film Festival, where he and his partners were runner-up for the DarkHart Screenplay Award. His work has been published in BushwickBK, howaboutwe.com, Wunderkammer Magazine, Glamour Magazine, and The Huffington Post.

What is the current project you are working on?

My writing partners and I are producing a short film called KILLER GRANNY. It's based on a feature script we wrote last year that did well at some competitions, so we're making this shorter version of it ourselves, in hopes of getting the feature made. It's exactly what it sounds like: a maniacal grandma who takes matters into her own hands when she finds out her kids are going to put her in a home.

How do you handle rejection?

I make sure I always have other potentials to look forward to. I also enjoy bourbon.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

For a while there I wanted to be a kid.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

Hard to say, but I used to collect film scores. I'd imagine Hermann or Morricone playing over things I'd written, and it got me all excited.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

One's too hard, man. Here are three I love: Charlie Kaufman, Miranda July, and Jean-Pierre Melville

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants tomake it in the movie business?

I'm looking for that advice myself, actually.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

I write plays, and I follow politics probably too much. I live in New York, and I try to take advantage of that when I can.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Ha ha.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

We wrote KILLER GRANNY because we love some of those old b-movies - the really high-concept stuff, like The Blob, and The Wasp Woman. On the other end of the spectrum, I love the stuff that takes its time and lulls you in, like Badlands, Le Samourai, a lot of Jim Jarmusch's stuff. The old John Ford and Sergio Leone westerns.

How would you describe your film education?

Mostly on-the-ground problem-solving. We've never produced a short of this magnitude before, so we're learning as we go. Other than that, just went to a bunch of movies growing up - lot of "double-features" with my Dad.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Five guys no one has ever heard of can raise $10,000 for a short film with no stars attached. And we can shoot that film in the same format Soderbergh and Peter Jackson use. It's a cool time.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Explosions, bad sex, and no cigarettes?

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

Probably "Battlefield Earth", so I could go up to John Travolta and say, "Listen, are you sure about this?"

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

"You're killing me, Smalls." - Ham Porter, The Sandlot

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

Sort of like playing red or black on the roulette wheel. You'll probably win a little money, but no one's going to respect you.

Thanks for doing the interview Kevin. Nice metaphor for remakes and sequels. I'll be s to do what I can to spread the word about "Killer Granny"

No comments:

Post a Comment