Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Filmmaker Gary King




Gary King is a contemporary American filmmaker whose work is known for powerful performances with an emphasis on a strong, visual style. He has written, directed and produced several critically acclaimed feature films.  (Read full bio hereBlog: www.grking.com Twitter: @grking   IMDB





 

What is the current project you are working on?




For almost two years now, I've been working on a musical drama "How Do You Write A Joe Schermann Song".  I'm happy to say that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and will be bringing this film to the festival circuit in 2012.  I've also got a few projects in heavy development so it's only a matter of time before I know and can announce which one I'll be diving into next.



 Did you always want to be a filmmaker?



As a kid, I was just as fascinated about the "behind the scenes" and "making of" specials as the movies themselves -- so I was always imagining what it'd be like to make films.  While growing up, I just never realized there was a school for it or that a person could really make it a career choice....so I entered the corporate world for a while.  Five years ago, I walked away from the day job and have never looked back.



 What inspired you to become filmmaker?



Mainly it was sitting in the dark theater as a kid with complete strangers and sharing a collective experience.  When things happened on screen and I could hear people laughing, shrieking and clapping....I thought that this was something I wanted to do as well: to give an audience something to experience.



 What is the best thing about being one?



I wish I could have a great answer about the glamorous perks -- but at my level there aren't many as it's a constant daily grind to either: finish a film, start a film, raise the funding for one or get it distributed and seen.  Besides that, I do have to say that I've formed some great working relationships and friendships with some amazing people in the industry that continue to inspire me in many ways.

Okay I'm not going to discount the fact that making a movie is just damn good fun.  It's a rush that is very hard to duplicate in other outlets.  I can count on one hand the things that could possibly be more fun than making a film....but we won't go there.



 What is the worst thing about being one?



I've yet to come up with one reason that sucks being a filmmaker.  I can say that criticism can sting -- and getting bad reviews still affect me even though I know they shouldn't.  I'm still learning to accept that film is an art form and thus will divide people no matter what.  Some people will love my work -- others won't.  What keeps me getting through this is knowing that my all-time favorite films (that I would've been proud to make myself) are absolutely detested by some people -- so I just gotta keep my head down and keep moving....which I'm proud to say that, for the most part, I've been doing.



What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?



As a filmmaker I've done two shorts and five features (three on my own -- two as a "director-for-hire").  I've been very lucky in my opportunities.



 Who is is your favorite filmmaker?



It's hard for me to say just one as different directors inspire me for different reasons.

I love all these filmmakers for their style and worlds they create: Woody Allen, Pedro Almodovar, P.T. Anderson, Robert Altman, Brian De Palma, John Carpenter, Ingmar Bergman, John Cassavetes, Krzysztof Kieslowski, Aki Kaurismäki and Wong Kar-Wai.

There are a few that I adore because they are so prolific....jumping from genre to genre successfully (which I hope to do with my career): Danny Boyle, Howard Hawks, Francois Truffaut, Steven Soderbergh.

At the grassroots indie level I really dig Zak Forsman and Kevin Shah's work and their Sabi Company films.  Their film "Heart of Now" made me want to be a better filmmaker.



 How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?



I can't really think of anything directly changing other than moving to New York five years ago.  Okay I lied....there have been a few times in the past year where people have told me that my films have either inspired them or affected them in some profound way.  That makes me smile and feel that it's all worth it.



What do you like to do besides filmmaking?



I love hanging out with my friends.  The sad thing is I'm so busy that it rarely happens now.  And when we do hang out....it's to talk about making movies!



Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?



My first job was a movie theater usher (free movies!).  I've also been a Blockbuster video guy (free movies!), a grocery store clerk (paper or plastic?), a waiter at a Mexican restaurant (yo hablo espanol), a customer service rep for a major newspaper (how can I help you?), a human resources representative (you're hired...you're fired!)....then filmmaker (action!).



 How would you describe your film education?



Watching and absorbing as many films as I can (all genres/eras from around the world).  I can't stress enough on how putting my stamp in the film world begins with knowing about what's been done before.  Love them or hate them, at least I know about most of them (and I still have a huge stack of films I need to see!!).  The best part of discovering a film or filmmaker is being able to pull something from them.  I always say everybody borrows...it's from whom you choose to borrow from that makes you unique.

I also have read a ton of books over the years....the majority of them for when I was first starting out...but I still like to revisit a few just before I go into production.  And of course the most important of all for me is learning by doing.

There's almost nothing better for me than watching my film with an audience to see what works well and what doesn't -- to see if the film is coming across how I intended.  I like to examine my decision-making process (whether if it was on the set....or in pre/post production) based on those successes and failures to reflect on what I would or could do differently if presented with a similar situation.

Throughout my work, there are moments I feel I've failed miserably at...so I take the learning lessons and try it again on the next one.  And when something works well, I pretty much chalk it up to having a bit of luck along with experience.  Just like any other profession there's nothing better than what time and acquired knowledge can give you in order to make those crucial decisions.



 How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?



New York seems to have a ton of movers and shakers -- who are just as hungry and talented than the next person if not more.  I tend to gravitate towards the people who not only want more with their career, but are willing to do something about it.  Nothing frustrates me more than meeting people who say they want success, but then actually do very little to really achieve it.



What's your opinion on crowdfunding?



I think it's one of the most powerful resources out there for artists.  If managed effectively I see it as a viable tool in the community for quite a while.  It is giving people like me the the opportunity to create when just a few years ago we were struggling on how and where to find the financing.  I know for a fact that I wouldn't have been able to do "How Do You Write A Joe Schermann Song" without crowdfunding and the hundreds of generous supporters that believed in it.



What is the casting process like?



Casting for me has been an ever-evolving process.  When I first moved to New York five years ago, I barely knew anyone so I had to use various casting websites and hold general auditions to meet performers.

Now, I'm thankful to be at a point where I've worked with a lot of people.  So when it comes to casting, I much prefer fostering a current working relationship or getting a personal referral.  I rarely have any general casting calls.  I actually love meeting people personally to see if we click off the set...then setting up meetings or screen tests around specific roles.  Of course general casting sessions still come in handy should there be a type that I'm looking for and nobody in my "six-degrees of" network seems to fit.

Sometimes I hit it off with someone so much that I write a role specifically for them on another project.  This has happened with Christina Rose, Daryl Ray Carliles, Jared Asato, Jeremy Koerner, Mark DiConzo and Jenn Dees among others.

For upcoming projects, I really look forward to becoming more involved with casting directors who have access to more "name" talent as I feel that is the major component missing from my films (although I definitely plan to bring my favorite actors along with me).

         What's your favorite movie quote and why?

More of an industry quote:  "Nobody knows anything..." -- William Goldman

It's so true.  If we knew the right way to do things everyone would be successful with a blockbuster film.  And it's clear that isn't the case.  There are definitely some guidelines to be aware of....even best practices...but there are no guarantees.  That's what makes filmmaking exciting and scary at the same time.





 What is your opinion on movie remakes?



Only do it if it can be done better or updated with a fresh take on it.  I'm a classic movie lover and feel that some are definitely untouchable.  However, there are a few flicks that could be too dated for modern audiences and whose stories are still worth sharing.  It's sad to me that some people refuse to watch older films but that's the reality of the market today.  They actually are a real education in so many ways -- not just from a filmmaking standpoint, but how we were as a society.

This reminds me of a funny story when a person about ten years younger than me started to pitch his movie idea that he thought was so original....until I said "so basically a remake of SILENT RUNNING?"  He stopped and asked "what's that?"  This just lends to my stance on film education again....that one of the best ways to be a better or smarter filmmaker is to watch a ton of films.

Now I guess the big question for me is would I do one?  It depends on how much you pay me haha!



 What's it like to work with Christina Rose?



Christina Rose is a major talent.  I feel she has the qualities that any filmmaker would want: strong acting ability, great range, a risk-taker, having amazing screen presence, a total professional and just fun to be around.  I also love how she's not afraid of the camera -- nothing comes between them in such a raw, organic way.

When Christina was first cast as "Wanda" ("Death of the Dead"), I had no idea that on the very first shooting day we would already be finishing each other's thoughts.  It was scary.  And since then, it's uncanny to see how often we have the same instincts and sensibilities on approaching scenes.

I was already developing "Schermann Song" before we'd met...so while shooting "DotD" when I learned she'd been on Broadway, I expanded and tailored the role of "Evey" just for her.  I think it was fate that she fit the character so perfectly.

It’s very easy working with her so don’t be surprised if you see us doing a few more films together before it’s all said and done.



Who would win in a fight between you and Miles Maker?



Oh man what kind of fight are we talking about here?  Well, I think he could do his patented dance kick-split and take me out if he wanted to haha!

Miles Maker is actually an emerging force in the industry and I'm really proud to have him as a producing partner.  We are developing several projects together that I hope to share really soon.  I've been very fortunate in that he has really opened a lot of doors for me to get in front of people's eyes.  I've been so busy with my head down creating content that I sometimes am not able to branch out and reach beyond my network.....and he's helped me do that.  Be on the lookout because we've got some exciting stuff in the works.



Is there anything else you would like to add?



I just love what you're doing.  I really appreciate your giving artists the opportunity to share more about our lives and projects.  It means a lot so thank you.

 

 

 

 

Thanks for doing the interview Gary. I look forward to when the DVD of  "How Do You Write A Joe Schermann Songis released.

2 comments:

  1. I'd blow a cloud of weed smoke in Gary's direction then disappear like a Ninja then reappear behind him & throw the patented grking 'hand-blocking-my-face' move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent interview. King and Maker are definitely two of the brightest names in the indie scene and it's good to see them working together.

    ReplyDelete