Friday, August 19, 2011

Josh Cook Creator Of Zombie A.C.R.E.S.



Josh Cook is a Midwest native, having lived most of his life in Kenosha, Wisconsin. He now resides in Seattle, Washington, with his three year old dog, Sam Dogg. His days are spent bouncing around trying to promote Zombie A.C.R.E.S., as well as watching tv, reading, and playing with Sam. Writing has always been a passion of his, and he has been writing for many websites over the years. With Zombie A.C.R.E.S., he is open to finally pull Sam Dogg and himself up from the gutters and into the lives he knows they both deserve.

What is the current project you are working on?

Currently I am focusing on AiZ: Alice in Zombieland. This is an eBook that will be coming out in October and is part of the Zombie A.C.R.E.S. Universe. Zombie A.C.R.E.S. is a short story series that I started almost five months ago, about a world where Roslun Global, the largest and most powerful pharmaceutical company, has found a way to create walk and talking zombies. The ultimate goal being integrating the undead with the living, Roslun created Zombie A.C.R.E.S. (Animated Corpses Reintegration Experimental Subdivision) – a sort of gated community for zombies. In 2011, William Lohman, one of their top experiments, exposed Zombie A.C.R.E.S. The world is a little different now. There is not a total zombie apocalypse, but there are small flare ups around the world. One of these came almost ten years later and changed the lives of many people forever. This is where AiZ: Alice in Zombieland picks the story up. There is not much I can reveal at this time without giving away too much, but everybody should know that it will change the Zombie A.C.R.E.S. Universe forever.

Along with the AiZ: Alice in Zombieland eBook that is coming out in October, I am releasing a five issue comic miniseries by the same name. This miniseries will be a comic adaptation of the eBook and will be released monthly at our Online Shop. To celebrate the jump into the comic world, and as a sort of coming out celebration for the Zombie A.C.R.E.S. universe, I would like to release special, VERY limited editions of AiZ: Alice in Zombieland #1. The ZomBcon Edition will be limited to only 200 copies, and will be sold at the Seattle ZomBcon convention in October. Unfortunately, due to my personal circumstances (kind of bouncing between couches right now); I cannot fund this celebration on my own.

 

Because of that I have started a funding project at Kickstarter.com. The funding I am requesting there is to help cover the costs of a booth at ZomBcon, as well as the printing costs of the 200 issue ZomBcon run. Nobody that is working on AiZ: Alice in Zombieland is getting paid for any of their work. This is strictly a project of passion for each and every member of Team Zombi.  I am offering rewards for pledging anything from $1 and up, and one of these rewards is an even rarer edition of AiZ: Alice in Zombieland #1, limited only to the number of backers at certain levels. This Backer Edition is expected to be limited to less than 50 copies.

 

Both the ZomBcon and Backer Editions will feature a bonus comic story entitled Bruce Campbell vs The ACRES. This story will never be released anywhere else and is hilarious. Both of these editions will be numbered to help ensure rarity and collectability. Each of the three versions will feature a different cover by one of three talented artists that all have a hand in the creation of this wonderful series.

 

There is less than a week at the Kickstarter campaign and I am less than half way to my goal. It is all or nothing, so if I don’t make my goal, I don’t get any of it. I am asking anyone to help, even with a dollar, and make this dream a reality.

How do you handle rejection?

It all depends. When I started doing this, I knew it was going to be a lot of hard work with a lot of rejection. I had no clue the vast amount of both I would have to deal with, especially on the sped up timetable AiZ: Alice in Zombieland is on to make ZomBcon this year. It gets to the point to where hearing ‘No’ and finding more and more hurdles to jump over becomes part of your everyday routine. Because of that, it does give you a slightly thicker skin, and makes rejection a little easier to swallow. There are days where I love what I do and can deal with anything, but then I have my days where the slightest bit of rejection just tears me up. It’s a rollercoaster of emotions every single day, and sometimes it is a very tough ride to handle.

I am a naturally shy and very self conscious person, so even though internet rejection has become a little easier to handle, I have yet to really deal with real world rejection. I am just now really starting to put myself out there, and that means videos and trying to find public appearances. With that comes the judging of Josh Cook, and not just Zombie A.C.R.E.S. That is a brand new feeling, and a different kind of rejection to deal with.

Did you always want to create Zombie A.C.R.E.S.?

I always wanted to entertain, I think. In my room when I was younger, I would practice being a radio DJ or even a comedian at times. Even at a young age, I was very shy and self conscious, so I never thought I would be able to pursue a public career. Once I was old enough to write, I realized the mechanics of writing well came fairly easy to me. Yet again, my own feelings towards myself and my talents stopped me from chasing my dreams to be a writer. So, short answer long, I have always wanted to entertain people.

 What inspired you to create Zombie A.C.R.E.S?

The main reason to start my own company at all is to bring my three year old lab/cocker spaniel Sam Dogg to work with me every day. The actual story was born out of jokes that were made while I was at my last crappy job at Kohl’s. I don’t remember how they came about, but somehow this series of jokes and thoughts about a funny little zombie community become the daily norm. After a series of personal setbacks, I decided to take the thought one step further and create the world of Zombie A.C.R.E.S. I took a lot of the comedy away, and replaced it with emotion. These stories are not just about zombies, but about the people that are forced to live in this world that they did not create.

I have always loved the blood and fore of zombie stories, but the best of these stories had a focus that was more on the survivors and the struggle they have to go through just to make it day to day. That is the story I hope to tell with Zombie A.C.R.E.S.

 What is the best thing about creating it?

Hands down, the best part is actually creating. I get to bring a vision that I had in my head to life. The most amazing feeling besides love is when someone reads a story, or visits ZombieACRES.com, and enjoys it so much that they tell me about it. Just now I received a tweet from a fan that said ‘I visited your website. What a great concept’ and that helped make my morning. I love knowing the fans are enjoying all the hard work Team Zombi is putting into everything we do, and are showing so much love in the horror and indie communities to help us grow.

And control. LOL. There is a bit of satisfaction in knowing that this is my world and I can do whatever I want. But I don’t think you will find a wirter out there who doesn’t have some sort of a control issue. LOL.

 What is the worst thing about it?

The constant promo that needs to be done and the daily stress. It’s that rollercoaster I was talking about. Since we are such a small group of people, and most busy with other things, that leaves a lot of the daily grind to a few of us. We are out there every day, some of us all day, begging for funding and searching for new ways to bring our stories to people. It is rough work, full of rejection and days where you feel you went nowhere, but then I remember why I am doing it… for the fans.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I am brand new to the creative scene. I have been writing online for a number of websites for about five years, but Zombie A.C.R.E.S. is my first true creative project. Thanks to its success, I have begun working with Lewis Cougill from GenXnerd.com on a project called Not Just Dead Stuff. This is in the infant stage but please check out the site and bookmark us to watch as we grow into a video community of survivors of Out3rKn3t. I have also been approached about helping write a zombie short film, but I have been sworn to secrecy on that one.

 Who is your favorite storyteller?

That is really a loaded question. LOL. There are so many people that I respect and enjoy, it’s like comparing apples and oranges. I have always been a huge Stephen King fan. When he paints a picture for his readers, they know exactly what he has in his mind’s eye. Of all of his work, the Dark Tower series really showcases this by mixing two completely different worlds – one of magic and one of a wild west reality of lore. If any of you have not read the series, I really recommend it.

On the other hand, I will put almost anything Trey Parker does on a higher level than most people’s work. Not only is South Park still relevant and hilarious, but his movies, and now stage musical, have so much social commentary – some hidden and some not so hidden – and he is always entertaining.

 How has your life changed since you created Zombie A.C.R.E.S?

Well, considering I started Zombie A.C.R.E.S. out of need as much as dream, my life was already pretty hectic. ZA has added a lot more stress and work into the mix, but the satisfaction of it all is well worth everything that goes into it.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to create a project like yours?

Be prepared to work. Indie art is not for people looking for an easy job with amazing pay. I was almost homeless when this started and I am no better five months in. It takes a lot out of you to do this each and every day, but you have to really want it to make it through each and every day.

What do you like to do besides making Zombie A.C.R.E.S?

I obviously read and watch a lot of zombie stuff. I do watch as much TV as possible, but that ends up consisting of a lot of Big Brother and Game Show Network shows. I also love to go sightseeing around Seattle, I just don’t get to do it too often thanks to the whole having no money or home situation.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to create Zombie A.C.R.E.S?

Retail, retail, retail. That was what I did, and I was good at it. That is really odd considering how shy and self conscious I am, but it’s true. I am a natural with customer service and a fast paced work day. That so does not mean I like it though. LOL. I want to eventually have my own Zombie A.C.R.E.S. offices where I can walk into work with Sam Dogg every day, and enjoy what I do all day and allow my employees to enjoy their jobs as well.

 What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

I am a Pop Culture Whore, so these lists can be long. I will just give highlight reels below. LOL.

American Films: Team America: World Police, Scarface, Schindler’s List, Nightmare on Elm Street, Evil Dead series

Foreign Films: Cemetery Man, Pan’s Labyrinth, Shaun of the Dead

Television Shows (I am  HUGE tv fan, so this is a very condensed list): Big Brother, The Walking Dead, Burn Notice, South Park, Mythbusters, Deadliest Warrior, 1000 Ways to Die

 How would you describe your education as a writer?

I have never had any formal education or training as a writer. I did go to a couple years of business school, but I would rather do things my own way. I am still being educated on a daily basis, both as a writer and as a business owner. It is mostly hit and miss training, but at least I can say I went out and tried my own thing. That is something I am very proud to be able to say, no matter what.

 How would you describe the writing "scene" where you live?

I am in Seattle, Washington, so the ‘writing scene’ is ginormous out here. This is the land of creatives and free thinkers. We have artists, writers, musicians, and hundreds of other creative types. It is an amazing place to live.

 How has social media helped you with Zombie A.C.R.E.S?

Social media is the life blood of Zombie A.C.R.E.S. Without sites such as Twitter, there is no way ZA would have fans in several different countries this early in its life.  I am always looking for brand new ways to market ZA, as well as myself, and new social media outlets always seem to be the best way. There is also a network that has formed all over the internet of indie artists supporting each other, and that has only grown and become stronger with the advent of social media and the pushing of the boundaries of communication. The world is shrinking, and that can only mean better things for us indie artists.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

Since the AiZ: Alice in Zombieland Kickstarter project is the first experience I have with crowdfunding, my opinions are still forming. In theory, it sounds like an awesome idea, but there have been a great many awesome ideas that have been ruined or tarnished once humans get involved. If I do make my goal in less than a week, I bet my attitudes do turn a little more favorable towards crowdfunding. J

 How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Being the Pop Culture Whore that I am, I love my mainstream trash and pop pulp. I just want that to be said off the bat. I do enjoy many indie films, but until now, I have not been this deeply immersed in the culture. Not having to follow someone else’s rules allows indie artists’ to really push the envelope and create art that makes society think about the world a little differently, even if only for a little bit.

 You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

Classic film, eh? It all depends on your definition of classic, but I would love to go back and watch Airplane! being made. The movie is hilarious and it looks like it would have been a blast to make, and maybe even a lesson in how to have fun while working.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

As my tastes change almost every time I see a new bright, shiny object, so do my ‘favorite’ movie quotes. I am always a huge fan of great one liners, and quick punch line jokes in my movies.

 What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

Remakes and sequels are completely different animals. I feel remakes are valid in some cases, but most of the remakes coming out these days never need to be made. I think a lot of it may be made with an honest attempt to bring some great ideas and art to a new generation, but too many of these remakes are just to cash in on a cult following already in place.

Sequels can be awesome or worthless dribble, depending on what they add to the overall story. A Nightmare on Elm Street is my favorite horror series for that exact reason. Not counting the second movie, every installment added something to the story and mythology of Freddy Krueger.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

Again, if they are done right, they can be awesome. I hope that when the first Zombie A.C.R.E.S. movie is made, I can find the right team to bring my vision to life correctly. I think whenever possible, the writer of the book should always be involved in the making of the film. Nobody else knows exactly what that artist had in mind to begin with.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Just that I really need all the help I can get at the AiZ: Alice in Zombieland Kickstarter page in the next few days to make my dreams come true.

2 comments:

  1. [...] Josh Cook, Creator of Zombie A.C.R.E.S. with John Hoff AiZ: Alice in Zombieland Interview with Clare Stubbs Pt 1 AiZ: Alice in Zombieland Interview with Clare Stubbs Pt 2 [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] Josh Cook, creator of Zombie A.C.R.E.S. by John Hoff AiZ: Alice in Zombieland Interview Part 1 by Clare Stubbs AiZ: Alice in Zombieland Interview Part 2 by Clare Stubbs Naked Jews and Neo Hippies Podcast Interview (My first ever podcast interview) Zombie A.C.R.E.S. Interview by GenXnerd The Walking Dead vs Mad Men – a guest article on The Cult Den [...]

    ReplyDelete