Sunday, August 7, 2011

Actress Alyssa Freedman



What is the current project you are working on?

I'm currently involved with an independent film called "Mark of the Dog Rose." It's the second project Astropiano Films has produced, and I am so excited to be a part of it. I'm playing Antonia (Toni) Marcel.

Did you always want to be a actress?

I have since I was very young, but I always considered it one of those "unattainable dreams" that would never come true. I guess it's just proof that you should never say never.

What inspired you to become actress?

Back when I was probably 10 or so, I went to a performance done by my best friend's acting class at the Burlington Park Playhouse. It looked like so much fun, so I enrolled in the next class. I absolutely fell in love with acting and never wanted to give it up. I continued learning and performing in any way possible throughout the years, although it got tricky as my academic work load increased. I'm so lucky to have been given the opportunity to continue doing what I love...this time on camera instead of on stage!

What is the best thing about being one?

Becoming an actress is no longer a little girl's dream, I AM one. I made my own dream come true. I don't think you can do any better than that :)

What is the worst thing about being one?

People sometimes assume I'm going to act snobby or like a diva because I can say I've been in a movie. Anyone who truly knows me will tell you that I am far from either.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

This is my second film project. I played Kerri in Astropiano Films' first project "Sunblocked." As for stage productions, I did a bunch when I was younger...I've completely lost count.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

It's a tie between Quentin Tarantino and Darren Aronofsky. I love how absolutely insane Tarantino is. His movies always have a certain tone to them, and it always impresses me that just by the "feel" of the film I can tell who the director is. I love Aronofsky because I am amazed at his uncanny ability to make people squirm (if anyone remembers the hangnail scene from "Black Swan," they'll know exactly what I'm talking about). Both filmmakers bring the art back to film making, because they have their own styles and their own signatures.

How has your life changed since you became an actress?

Well for a while, I wasn't able to do any performing or take acting classes. My high school and college work loads just got overwhelming, so it left no time for rehearsals or lessons. Working on films, however, involves working with people who have daytime jobs, and similar time constraints to my own. I'm once again able to do something I love that also fits into my schedule. I'm probably much happier now too, because acting (especially alongside Astropaino Films' wonderful cast and crew) brings me so much joy.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

NEVER SAY NEVER!! I just happened to be talking to Jess [Cook, our director] one day about life and she mentioned "Sunblocked." I offered to help her with anything she needed, and she invited me to audition! I never ever ever thought I would do anything remotely close to acting in indie films, but here I am, playing a major role in my second feature film.

What do you like to do besides acting?

I love to travel. I've been to Spain three times (once was for 5 months when I studied abroad), Italy, Australia, and New Zealand. I get antsy if I stay in one place for too long...plus I absolutely love learning about other cultures. Otherwise I'm pretty simple: I enjoy what I'm studying at UNH (Psychology and Spanish), I love music, and I love to dance.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a actress?

Acting isn't my job, it's my passion. It's a pastime, a hobby, and one of those things that allows me to just let go of everything else in life and enjoy myself. But as for my job history, I worked as a religious school teacher's aide as well as a special needs tutor for a few years. Currently I work part time as a host at a local restaurant. The hosting job has helped me with my acting I think, because I can observe peoples' mannerisms and behaviors and potentially use them later in creating a character. Plus I'll also admit it comes in handy when I need to act reallllly nicely to rude, angry people. :p

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Favorite American films: Requiem for a Dream, Donnie Darko, Good Will Hunting, and The Fountain (which has the most unbelievably stunning soundtrack I've ever heard)

Foreign Films: The Lives of Others, a German film that left me speechless.

Television shows: I am admittedly obsessed with Criminal Minds. Not only do I dream of being a criminal profiler, but I have to say I'm also in love with Shemar Moore, Matthew Gray Gubler, and Thomas Gibson. The highlight of my life was when Matthew Gray Gubler spoke at UNH and I got to meet him. Another unattainable dream: attained.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

I love that more and more films are being made in and around Boston. It gives me a sense of pride to see areas I know on the silver screen. Just a few years ago the Hollywood buzz was all around my hometown of Burlington, MA, as Kevin James was at our mall filming the comedy Paul Blart: Mall Cop. It's such an exciting atmosphere. Everyone loves a little taste of Hollywood and film making...and it's even more buzz-worthy if it involves local people like in our project.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

There's a scene in Good Will Hunting when Robin Williams and Matt Damon's characters are sitting at the Boston Public Gardens. Williams delivers one of the most amazing monologues I have ever heard, saying things such as "I'd ask you about love, you'd probably quote me a sonnet. But you've never looked at a woman and been totally vulnerable." At the end of the speech, I had tears in my eyes. I was blown away both by the performance, and by the actual dialogue.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

If we're being honest, I think Hollywood has kind of run out of good ideas, so they're just banking on remakes and sequels. So few sequels have matched up to the original (Toy Story is the only one that comes to mind at the moment), I just don't understand why they continue to try. Remakes tend to frustrate me. Like this upcoming "Footloose" remake? How dare they. You can't replace Kevin Bacon. You just can't.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

I have never seen a film adaptation that adequately represented the book. There always comes that point when you say, "But they left out the part when...." Books and film are two different mediums and should probably be kept that way.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Thanks so much for the interview, John! And to everyone else, stay on top of updates by following Mark of the Dog Rose on Twitter and becoming a fan on Facebook!

1 comment:

  1. I like your Drive Alyssa! Never say never! Right on! You know, people go to great places and meet very sucessful people with the positive attitude you exude. And you know what? You will only change for the better. But never ever change your core you live within. Because thats your driving force. And it's a good one. Congratulations Alyssa. You are true to yourself!--
    John Lindsey

    ReplyDelete