Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Filmmaker Jeanne Dasaro

Jeanne Dasaro is a social entrepreneur, artist, and activist with extensive experience in nonprofit management and community journalism. Jeanne has spent the past 3 years connecting people across Boston and beyond as co-founder of The New Prosperity Initiative, an organization that works to build social and economic prosperity in communities. She believes stories have the ability to inform, inspire and connect.

What is the current project you are working on?

I recently launched, North End Stories. It is a digital narrative project that aims to collect, preserve, and share the stories of Italian-Americans whose families immigrated to Boston’s North End in the late 19th and early 20th century.

How do you handle rejection?

Although rejection can bruise the ego, I try to use it as a learning experience. It can be an opportunity to gain valuable feedback on a project which in turn can help spur new ideas and improvements.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

Although, I’ve always believed stories have the ability to inform, inspire and connect, creating and sharing stories using film is a recent interest of mine.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

I’ve always learned best through conversation and/or watching someone do a task. With that in mind, I began focusing my efforts on video projects or projects that try to communicate information visually. Short videos and things like Infographics would be examples of what I mean. For me, I find I am able to capture emotions and ideas in a video that I am unable to create in the written word.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Thus far only 3 very different projects, a nonprofit news and media organization, The New Prosperity Initiative, that reports on the nonprofit sector, Why Not Boston, a small web comedy show, and now my North End Stories project.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

Wong Kar-wai, a film maker from Hong Kong. “In the Mood for Love” is my favorite film of his. He creates highly stylized, visually striking films that I am in love with.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

I can’t really speak to making it in the movie business, since I haven’t quite done that. What I have done is left behind work and lifestyles that didn’t suit me. I no longer work a 9-5 office job, instead of work on projects I enjoy with people that inspire me. Anyone can do this. It takes a little bit of risk, some determination, changing your life around a bit, but in the long run, waking up each day excited about what you do makes it all worth it.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

I’m an activist and community builder, meaning I bring folks together around specific issues. I love urban farming, crochet, and riding my bike around Boston.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Yes plenty. I was an accounting clerk, a makeup artist, an event planner, an operations manager, a co-founder of a non-profit, and now at 30 years old I work on a variety of independent projects.

How would you describe your film education?

Formal education is quite limited. Everything I know has come in 1 of 2 ways, by trying things myself and learning from my errors or by asking my network for help and guidance, specifically those who have the knowledge I am looking for.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

I love it. It’s wonderful on many levels. It connects micro-funders to projects they want to support and it allows artist, entrepreneurs, etc. to produce work outside of traditional funding models. I've had countless friends raise money to publish their book, revamp their company's website, produce a documentary film, and to me that's pretty awesome.

What is your process for conducting interviews for your narrative project?

It is a combination or research and relationship building. I spent several months researching the history of the neighborhood, business owners, active community members, and local publications. Once that list was created I began reaching out to individuals on the list to gauge their interest and willingness to participate. I also have the benefit of having family members who have been life-long residents of this particular neighborhood which means they have also been able to make introductions and foster relationships for the project. Over the next few weeks I will schedule and conduct interviews with those interested in being a part of the project.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

I think independent art forms in general (music, art, etc.) have more authenticity to them. There is less focus on what will sell or what people want. Instead the creator makes what they love, what they feel connected to.

Thanks for doing the interview Jeanne. I'll be sure to spread the word aboutNorth End Stories" and The New Prosperity Initiative.

No comments:

Post a Comment