Saturday, December 3, 2011

Author Jay Taylor



What is the current project you are working on?

I am focused on Book 2 in the Majick Series titled THE WAR OF MAJICK. It takes place a few years after Book 1, THE RISE OF MAJICK. The world has shifted further into relying on majick and technology is now a relic from our time.

How do you define success?

That's a good question.  For me, when it comes to writing, I think success is having put together a string of words that ring true when you read them. So it can be as simple as a sentence or as complex as a series. And if you are lucky, the thought resonates for a good piece of time after the reader has read it. That's success.

How do you handle rejection?

I try not to let it discourage me. Most of the time I am successful. Other times, it just sucks and I hate that I was rejected. I always try to find the valid reasons for rejection and I attempt to correct them. But sometimes, the valid reasons don't exist and you just have to accept it and move on. No reason to sulk about it or kick yourself. Dwelling on it won't change it.

Did you always want to be a writer?

I was always creative. I was focused on painting, sculpting and drawing when I was young. I didn't see writing as a creative process because I disliked the formal education I received in reading and writing. It was all structured and no creativity. I was forced to read books I didn't like and many times, they were books below the level I read on my own.

When I was in the Army I didn't have time to paint or sculpt. When you are living in a tank for weeks at a time (months even) painting is not something you can easily manage. I started writing short stories and making plots for adventures. Then it took off from there and I fell in love with the whole process.

What inspired you to become a writer?

I wanted to share my stories with other people. I was amazed with the worlds writers created for us. I wanted others to feel the same way about the worlds I created.

What is the best thing about being one?

I can spend hours inside my own imagination and that's a lot more like play than it is work. It's what I enjoy. Also, having people laugh or cry when reading something I have written is amazing. In that moment, I connected with them in a very personal way and I may not even know them.

 What is the worst thing about being one?

The fear. Any time I share something I have written, I am afraid it will fall flat. I'm afraid it isn't good enough or clear enough. There's almost as much fear as there is excitement, at least there is for me.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Worked on or completed? I have worked on more than I could count. I probably have a few hundred files in my "Stories" folder on my Dropbox account and nearly all of them are incomplete. I have completed about a dozen. Most of those are short stories. I have a couple novel length projects in there. But THE RISE OF MAJICK is the first work to be available for public consumption.

Who is your favorite author?

I could say Steinbeck because I really like his stuff and it sounds good to do so. But that would be a lie. I have two. Stephen King is one I really love. Check out my Goodreads.com profile and you will see that. But the other is an unpublished author, Eric White. He is working on some stuff and when he is ready, the world will be amazed.

How has your life changed since you became writer?

I don't think it has changed much yet. Let's revisit this after I sell  three or four hundred thousand copies.

 What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to be a writer?

Sit down and write. When you are done, write something else. After three or four projects, go back and read them in order. Now write something else and then rewrite it a few times.

What do you like to do besides writing?

I enjoy playing video games with my kids, watching movies and brewing beer.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a writer?

Yes. I was an M1A1 Tanker in the US Army. I have been in sales. Spent time doing IT support at a helpdesk. Most of my career has been in the management of IT and Customer Service and Support. I wrote during all of these phases and still am in Management for my day job.

How has social media changed the publishing industry?

I think it has made the small community more tightly connected. I feel it has made the independent author and publisher better capable of striking out and having a hit. I also think the biggest changes are yet to come.

What's your favorite quote and why?

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." – Henry Ford

Because it is true.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

Most of the time they screw up the book. However, there are times they get it right and then it is a great experience.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Thanks for taking the time for this interview. The ride is just beginning and I appreciate the boost.

1 comment: