Saturday, December 17, 2011

Jordan Rozansky Co-Creator Of "Can't Get Arrested"



Jordan Rozansky is a comedy writer and producer currently working as a script consultant for Dark Trick Films and DarkFire Television. He has written and executive produced five sketch comedy videos and a five-episode web series.

What exactly is  "Can't Get Arrested" about?

Can’t Get Arrested stars Dave Coulier and Jodie Sweetin from Full House playing versions of themselves.  The series starts off with the paparazzi manipulating a story about Jodie, which Dave and Jodie realize can be turned into a positive, helping them get acting work.  Throughout the series they orchestrate media events for themselves and others with the goal of kickstarting careers that have fallen on hard times.

What was the casting process like?

Casting was really easy.  Dave and I developed the show knowing that he and Jodie would star in it.  Once the series was outlined we talked about a lot of names for guest stars and we landed on Dennis Haskins, Candace Cameron Bure, and Kato Kaelin.  Once they committed we wrote episodes around them.

After that there were only a few parts left to fill.  Blake Goza and Eric Moneypenny play the paparazzi guys and they’re so hilarious in the series.  Blake and Eric are friends of mine and luckily they were both available the week of our shoot.  The remaining two roles are the news reporter roles, which went to Stephanie Allynne and Olev Aleksander.  I had seen Stephanie do a bunch of live shows and I think she’s so funny.  I emailed her to explain the show and her role and I was really excited that she said yes.  Olev is a friend of our director, David Odio.  David assured me that Olev was funny.  He was very right.  Both Stephanie and Olev were amazing.

We never had to do any auditioning or anything like that.  It was as simple as calling people we think are funny and hoping for the best.  It was a very smooth process.

Why did you decide to create "Can't Get Arrested"

I got in touch with Dave about a sketch I wrote and I was hoping he would act in it.  Dave read it and liked it, but he thought we would be better served making a series instead of just a one-off sketch.  From there we started pitching ideas back and forth, settling pretty quickly on the Can’t Get Arrested idea.


How do you measure success?

Financially.

How do you handle rejection?

I handle rejection well.  If I write scripts and make videos, I’ll do my best to make sure they’re good, but that’s really all I can control.  Once I put something online, it’s up to others to judge.  If people like what I’m doing, that’s great.  If people hate what I’m doing, that’s okay too.  David Odio (Can’t Get Arrested director) and I were reading and laughing at horribly mean comments on our videos the other night.


Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

I’ve always loved comedy but I never really considered writing until after college.  If I could write sitcoms for the rest of my life, I’d be very happy.

What inspired you to become create a webseries?

It was really more Dave’s idea than it was mine.  I had made a few sketch comedy videos, but the idea of doing something a little longer with more of a story was definitely something that interested me.  I don’t know that I would have done it though had Dave not suggested it.

What is the best thing about creating a webseries?

I just like making stuff.  I’m very happy any time I get the opportunity to produce a video, and with this being my first web series, it was a great learning experience.  I think Can’t Get Arrested turned out well, but I know that whatever I work on next will benefit greatly from lessons learned on this project.


What is the worst thing about creating one?

Getting views on the series is arguably the most important thing we have to do, but it’s definitely not something I enjoy or know much about.


What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I’ve worked on set for a few projects and I work in development for a film and TV production company, but in terms of my own stuff, I’ve written/produced five sketch comedy videos and Can’t Get Arrested.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

Here’s a pretty boring answer: I love David Fincher, Woody Allen, and Martin Scorsese.  I’m also watching closely whenever David Wain, Jody Hill, and Richard Ayoade do anything.

How is "Can't Get Arrested" funded?

Coulier and I split the costs to make the show.  We knew it would be a relatively inexpensive shoot and we didn’t want to give up any ownership of the show.

How has your life changed since you created "Can't Get Arrested?

It’s the same, but with less money.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make a webseries??

Find talented people you like to work with and go make something.  Making videos is a lot of trial and error.  If you make something and it doesn’t turn out well, you don’t have to show it to people. As long as you learned something that can make your next project better, it will have been worthwhile.


Have you had any other jobs before you decided to create your webseries?

I work as a script consultant for Dark Trick Films and DarkFire Television.  I’ve also done some PA and AD work on various sets, but I haven’t done that in a while.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

My favorite movie is Groundhog Day.  The best foreign film I’ve seen recently is Four Lions, but that’s just British, so it’s barely foreign.

Here’s a list of TV shows I love: Community; Arrested Development; Peep Show; Parks and Recreation; The Larry Sanders Show; Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace; Mr. Show; Eastbound and Down; Bored to Death; The Wire; Breaking Bad; Mad Men.

How would you describe your education?

I have an English degree, which is most helpful for feeling good about myself when I read something with grammatical mistakes.


You could go back in time and see any film being made. Which film would it be and why?

Space Jam, for obvious reasons.


What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

I’d say I’m pro-sequel and anti-remake, but that’s not always true.  I think there’s a place for both sequels and remakes, but there’s probably too many of each.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

Book to movie adaptations have given us The Godfather, The Silence of the Lambs, and the Twilight series, so mark me down under the “strongly in favor” column.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for doing the interview Jordan. I really enjoy the series and will do what I can to spread the word about your show.

No comments:

Post a Comment