Monday, December 5, 2011

Filmmaker Christin Mell



Christin is co-founder & Chief Executive Officer of tello Films, she spends every waking moment trying to figure out how to produce more and more projects for tello and scheming how to get Katee Sackhoff in one of those projects.  Christin's favorite discussion topics include new media, the economic model of web distribution (if you have ideas about this please e-mail her), and great lesbian webseries (and if you know about any of THESE, please e-mail her). You can find her on at @christintello - follow at your own risk.

What is tellofilms.com?

It is a video website that has original content made for, by and about lesbians. We have an open site with projects and series that everyone can view and then we have a separate section that is called Premium Content section that has original high quality work that people can view for $3.99 a month.  80% of the subscription fees go back to the content producers.  Our #1 purpose is to support film makers who are telling our stories and giving back to them in order to help produce more.

Why do you believe there should be marriage equality for all?

Everyone should be treated the same – shouldn’t matter who you love.  I never felt super strong about marriage equality- I mean I believed in it just because of equal right- but after I married my partner I saw why people had been fighting so hard.  It is different when you marry someone.  There’s something about the institution that is important and good.  It’s not fair that everyone can’t get married.

What's your opinion on gay marriage vs civil union? 

I asked a friend that once because I was suggesting that it was semantics and she said something that I’ve always remembered. “Christin, it’s like two water fountains- one says white and one says colored.  It’s the same water but we should be able to drink from the same fountain?”

I think the government should issue all Civil Unions and let the churches issue marriages.  All straight and gay people should be seen as equal under the state and federal law – if churches want to discriminate then let them do that but the separation of church and state should mean something.  In this debate it is too muddied.  I don’t care if the Baptist religion or Methodist religion doesn’t recognize my marriage but I sure want to be able to go into a hospital if my wife is sick and make decisions or allow her to get my retirement.  We should be equal under the eyes of the law- how a church views it should be different but not infringe on my rights.


What is the current project you are working on?

The big focus is the play/webseries “I Hate Tommy Finch”.  We opened the play in Chicago to nearly sold out crowds and now we are editing together a webseries for tellofilms.com’s premium content section.  What is unique and ground breaking about this project is how the story works as a play and as a webseries.  It was a huge gamble we took to do this kind of radical storytelling.  We wrote it to be both and rolled the dice and are so lucky it works.  I can say that because I saw a rough cut of “I Hate Tommy Finch” and it’s really beautiful and the storytelling works.


How do you define success?

I define success everyday that the website is up and working.  It can be as simple as that.  I do have a big goal for subscription numbers and that is 80,000.  Glen Beck, when he launched his subscription website, had 80,000 subscribers and I figure if he can get that then we can too.

How do you handle rejection?

It depends on what kind of rejection we are talking about.  On a creative level I don’t really have to worry about rejection- I mean I run the site so I can choose what goes on it and what doesn’t.  I think that’s what I like most about the new way of filmmaking.  I don’t have a script to shop around or a project that someone has to say “yes” to get made.  If I like something I figure out how to make it. I am telling stories that interest me and if they interest other people then great- if someone doesn’t like it then it’s okay.  There are lots of things I don’t like so I take it with a grain of salt.

On a personal level, like with friends I’m a mess if I get rejected.


Did you always want to be filmmaker?

I was always making videos when I was a kid.  We’d make music videos or do parodies of Saturday Night Live or commercials we saw.  In school I’d use video for presentations when I could.  I don’t think I ever thought “I want to do this as a job” it was just fun.  When I got into college I realized that I could major in it and everything changed.

What inspired you to become a filmmaker?

I have no idea.

What is the best thing about being one?

The creative process with a group of people you enjoy being around.  There’s something awesome about bring people together with various talents and working for a common goal.  I love to see something start and then finish.  There’s a huge sense of accomplishment and people are able to use their talents and have this awesome sense of confidence and pride for this great project.  It’s like an adult version of playing.

What is the worst thing about being one?

When someone in the group goes rogue and doesn’t recognize the larger picture.  In order for a project to be great everyone must work for the good of the project and not for the good of themselves.  When someone stops seeing the larger picture it’s frustrating and makes things harder than it should be.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Oh lord- I have no idea.  I should menton- I’m not a full time filmmaker.  I have a 9-5 job that I love and I do this on the side.  I have worked in the film/television industry but I don’t now and wouldn’t consider myself a full time filmmaker.

That being said it depends on how involved we are talking.  I was a PA on music videos long long ago so I’m going to count those.  15 projects- ranging from shorts, to web series, music videos and movies.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

I usually hate this question because I never had an answer that I really liked.  I put the most thought into this question and so thank you for making me really think and come up with an answer that I love and that represents everything I want to be as a filmmaker and storyteller and what I want tellofilms.com to be.

My answer is: Pixar

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

It hasn’t- I don’t feel like I ever wasn’t one.


What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Be patient.  Many people go to LA with a 3 year plan to make it or leave.  If you have that plan- don’t even go.  You have to work your butt off for years.  Very very few people have just hit- the stars who are “break out” stars have been working in the industry for 8-10 years.  After all of your friends give up and leave stay there and keep plugging away.


What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

Spending time with my wife and exercising.  I’m a big runner so I love to run.


How would you describe your film education?

I majored in TV Production in college and minored in English and Theater.  I couldn’t think of a more enjoyable time in college!  I was able to use cameras and editing equipment so I was familiar with it when I graduated.  I think I was one of those rare people who have been able to use what I learned in college in my work and passion.


How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

In Chicago we are very lucky to have this great improv community so there’s wonderful talent that’s here as well as great theater.  What we are missing a bit is a robust group of crew folks.  I’ve been lucky as there’s a great lesbian community that’s active in making small films.  After 5 years of working on small projects in Chicago I found Jessica King and Julie Keck who have been amazing to work with on projects.  They are now part of tellofilms.com staff too.  We have cobbled together this great little crew that I use on most of my shoots.  The great thing about Chicago filmmakers is that they are scrappy and adventurous and willing to do and try just about anything.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

For a niche market like we have it’s great because we can tell our community about our projects.  It makes it easy to get the word out – and cheap.  It helps us gather a supportive audience which is critical to independent film making if you want your projects to succeed.


What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

I love it!  It’s a way to further break down the barriers to get stories out there.  For so many years the entertainment industry has been this top down institution with people telling you yes or no.  With crowd funding it’s a bottom up approach.  Let the people support what they want to see and the people who can communicate that will get funded and not have decision makers telling them no.

You could go back in time and see and film being made. Which film would it be and why?

Oh man- Star Wars.  Did they know when they were making it how it was going to change everything?  I want to see the decision making process used on set.


Whose hotter Angelina Jolie or Megan Fox?

Angelina Jolie


What's your favorite movie quote and why?

I was in NYC with Julie Keck working on tello stuff and we were preparing for an interview.  She asked me a question that went something like “Do you want me to change the…you don’t want me to change the language on this.”   I looked at her and said “Are you trying to use the force on me?  These aren’t the droids you’re looking for.”  We started laughing and I started re-living that Star Wars moment-  l remember being so nervous as a kid, storm troopers were so scary, that they were going to get busted and then realizing what Obi-Whan did and how the force really works- it’s a very distinct memory for me and so that’s my favorite line.

“These aren’t the droids you’re looking for.”


What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

Toy Story 2 is the greatest sequel ever.


What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

They are different mediums and the same story that’s in the book usually doesn’t work on the big screen.  Oprah tried with “Beloved” to put exactly what was in the book in a movie and it was a disaster.  Some images need to stay in the book and be in a person’s mind.  If you can respect that then it’s fine.  “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” adaptation (foreign film) is one of the best I’ve ever seen.  I think they choose what stayed in the book and what went to the movie correctly.

I understand why movie studios make them but you’ll never see what you read on the screen and you shouldn’t- it doesn’t work like that.


Is there anything else you would like to add?

Be bold and don’t be afraid to try new things.  Even if it’s a huge disaster you’ll learn something from it.  The more scared you are- the more creative chance you’re taking and the more you are living life.  Also I agree with Jessica King and Julie Keck’s advice – don’t go into debt making your movie.

2 comments:

  1. Very good interview. I totally love the film industry and I've always dreamed to be a part of it. I did the acting thing, but I'm more into the writing part of it now. Best wishes to Christin and her company. ~ Tracy J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tracy! I'm really lucky to work with great folks.

    ReplyDelete