Friday, December 9, 2011

Interview With The Comedians Of Shrug Life 2: Home for the Holidays"


Why did you create "Shrug Life 2: Home for the Holidays"

Vincent: For me, Shrug Life is all about bringing people together to celebrate and have a good time. Christmas is a special time of the year where folks are typically happy. Shrug Life is an opportunity to celebrate this time of the year with family/friends/strangers, through laughter. It's like a christmas present to my hometown.

Alex: We started shrug life, after having a few conversations juggling the idea around. Next thing I knew, we were setting up venues and writing our bits. With a second show coming up with even more interest its kind of crazy how fast everything has picked up. Even if it was just for friends and family in the beginning. It seems to be growing into something much bigger.

Jimmy: That was all Vinny and Alex. This thing was their baby all the way and I couldn't be happier to just be a part of it.

If you could punch one comedian in the face. Who would it be and why?


Vincent: Carrot Top…because he's Carrot Top.

Alex: I would gladly sucker punch Carlos Mencia, and feel no problems about it. Just as long as I never have to hear "Duuuh Daaa Daaa" ever again!

Jimmy: I'm more or less a pacifist but I suppose I would have to go with Dennis Leary.

Do you ever get nervous before stepping out on stage?

Vincent: Not really. I get anxious and excited.

Jimmy: Yeah, prior to that first laugh it's pretty frightening. But when the ice breaks you loosen up and then it comes out.

What is your process for writing a joke?

Vincent: I pull topics/experiences from my own life and put them to paper. Then I record an audio track of me performing the whole set and listen to it for a week while I'm at work, at the gym, driving etc. If something isn't funny after a week, I remove it and restructure.

Alex: I feel awkward giving advice for writing jokes because I my self am very new at it. But I recall things from my past that I think are funny, remember them and go over it in my head a hundred times before I write it down to paper. And write out each bit as a cliff note. Run the whole show in my head and rehearse it once or twice out load before the show. I get more nervous practicing in front of mirror then when I am doing it live with a real audience. The crowd determines whats funny, your reflection does not.

Jimmy: For as long as I can remember I always write things down I thought of. Good ideas, bad ideas, anything I think of that is somewhat original. Then I look back in my pads and see if I can build on it and make it funny.


Who is the funniest comedian?

Vincent: Robin Williams. His speedy deliveries, his high-energy, and his amazing impressions…he's in a league of his own. He covers so many different topics in such a limited time, by time his set is over, you don't know what you just witnessed.

Alex: The one comedian, I have grown to respect recently is Jim Jefferies. He is the perfect mix of dirty humor and religious satire. I own his HBO special "I Swear to God", and it has become my personal bible. It is without a doubt the funniest and near perfect comedy bit I have ever watched.

Jimmy: That's tough. I have so many comedians that I absolutely love but if you put a gun to my head I would have to give it to George Carlin or Bill Hicks. Even though they have both passed on, you can look back at every one of their jokes and they are timeless

Who are the performers that have influenced you the most?

Vincent: Andy Kaufman. He did things differently…the way he wanted. In my life, I always strive to be on a different level than everyone else. Be unpredictable and daring…it'll keep everyone else guessing.

Jimmy: George Carlin, Bill Hicks, Louis C.K. and Marc Maron. Carlin and Hicks were truth-tellers that were the best at what they did. More recently Louis C.K. and Maron because I admire how they talk about the minutae of their own lives and make it hilarious.

How do you deal with "Hecklers"? 

Vincent: I've never experienced negative heckling. It's easy to casually respond to a heckler, but sticking to your set is what actually requires effort.

Alex: I only delt with "hecklers" once, my first time doing a stand up routine five or six years ago, which ironically was one of the few times I ever did a stand up routine. I had allot of support from friends in the audience and I turned his annoying yelps into jokes against him. turned out fairly well. Never been put in that situation since. Kinda of rewarding though, when you do it right.

Jimmy: Its been pretty rare that I have ran into them but generally I just try to get into it with them and make them feel a little silly for taking away from the show.

What does stand-up comedy mean to you?

Vincent: It's an opportunity to enjoy life and bring out the best in yourself and others. I'm not a comedian. Doing a show, I feel like I'm just taking advantage of a talent that I have. Let's call it a hobby.

Alex: I haven't done it enough to say it means much to me just yet, but it does give you an amazing boost of self esteem. I can see why comedians travel in a bus from city to city to perform. It's an amazing bonding experience with the people you do it with, and an amazing opportunity. Not many people can say they have tried stand up comedy.

Jimmy: That's a heavy question. I don't entirely know but I think it's just been really therapeutic for me. It's been a nice creative outlet.

What are qualities that a good comedian should have? 

Vincent: They should have a loose sense of humor and a lot of confidence. Whether you kill it or bomb at a show, you need to be confident. If you are confident, you can accomplish anything.

Alex: Once again i feel award giving advice, because I my self don't feel like I should be giving it. But if I had to say one thing, it would be don't hold back. If you think its funny, it probably is. But not nearly as funny as you think it is.

Jimmy: I don't think there is any definitive qualities a comedian should have. If there are, I hope I have them.


Is there anything else you would like to add?

Vincent: Love your life, be confident, and take risks. Most importantly,  don't forget to call your mother...

Alex: Regardless if its stand up comedy or something else, if you have ever wanted to do it. Try it, at least once.

1 comment:

  1. Looking back, you guys were always hilarious. Jimmy, I remember playing army men in your yard when we were 4 years old and something was always funny but I didn't understand English enough to get it, and Vinny, I remember you were always at the cutting edge of all the things I didn't know "existed" when we were in elementary and early middle school. A true pioneer of pre-teen pg-13. And living in your basement and getting woken up by a stream of Axe deadorant to my face.

    I'm sure the show will be kick-ass, wish I could make it. I'll send some ladies. I'll catch up with you guys in late December.

    Cheers!

    - Sergei

    ReplyDelete