Saturday, December 17, 2011

Co-creator and executive producer of "Husbands" Jane Espenson



Jane Espenson is a 20-year veteran television writer and producer.  She's best known as a writer for science fiction and fantasy shows including Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones, Torchwood, and currently Once Upon a Time for ABC.  She's also co-creator and executive producer of Husbands, viewable at http://husbandstheseries.com

How has your life changed since you became involved with "Husbands"?

Well, I was certainly busy when we were producing and editing it.  But the biggest change isn't to my life but to my attitude -- I really *get* the whole process of production in a way I didn't before.  I think I embraced the entire beginning-to-end of the process in a way I never really have before.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who wants become a writer?

A TV writer?  Move to LA.  It's funny -- production has moved all over the place out of LA, but the process of becoming a TV writer has sort of become more concentrated here.  Industry experience is becoming more important, so it's harder to start a writing career from out of state.

What is your writing process?

I tend to write while propped up on pillows, not sitting up at a desk.  I write quickly in concentrated short bursts.  Getting the first pass down can be kind of painful, but I love to polish a script to find just the right word.

What is your favorite Shakespeare play?

Hmm.  A Midsummer Nights' Dream, I think.  Funny!

What is the "atmosphere" like on the set of "Husbands"?

Amazing.  Jeff Greenstein directed with such a light touch, and our cast is so confident and funny -- the atmosphere was always light and fun and creative.    This series is a joy to shoot and the crew was amazing too -- so good.

How do you feel about movie and TV remakes?

Some are good and some aren't.  I worked on Battlestar Galactica, which was based on an earlier incarnation of the series, and I thought it was brilliant.  It's always about the quality of the product, not some aspect of the project, like where it started.

How does making a webseries differ from making a TV show?

It's smaller -- smaller crew, smaller salaries.  But it's also bigger because, as a producer, you're responsible for more aspects of the shoot, so the job gets bigger.  It was stressy, but wonderful.

How are they similar?

I felt that the quality of our director and our cast was totally equal to what I'd work with in TV, and of course the overall procedure was the same.  It was like I was doing what I usually do, just from a couple steps closer to the flames!

Is there anything you'd like to add?

I'm very proud of Husbands and we're hoping to make more content!  Follow us at @TeamHusbands and check us out at http://husbandstheseries.com for updates!

1 comment:

  1. Jane is such a talented writer. Thanks for a great interview!

    ReplyDelete