Thursday, December 22, 2011

Author Volatalistic Phil



Volatalistic Phil is a 26 year old, male author, currently living in Albuquerque, New Mexico. He was born, and raised for the most part, in the "Land of Enchantment"--New Mexico. He is a recovering alcoholic/addict. He is currently in college pursuing degrees in Philosophy and English.

Volatalistic Phil has an interest in people and the community around him. He enjoys taking part in experiences that can help enrich his own life as well as the lives of those around him. He is easy going and feels that he would, "hate to be so busy that I couldn't take time to answer some questions for some of my readers."

From Volatalistic Phil:

I'm goofy, random, and cynical at times. I'm sometimes insecure and sometimes needy. I am sometimes courageous and sometimes not. I am perfect at times and less than perfect at other times. I am a human being, no more and no less, I suppose. I love movies and music. Writing is something that I am passionate about and really enjoy doing. Though it is fresh start in a new direction, I am hopeful. I play guitar and bass. I dabble on and off with playing the piano, as I'm attempting to learn that.

I'm interested in: Chinese food, Vietnamese food, books, knowledge,cars, movies, music, school, Dickies, Zebra Cakes, Monster Energy drinks, Chuck Taylor Converse All-Star shoes, Chuck Taylor, the color green, the color blue, names that start with N, J, K, V and M. I'm also interested in black holes and I'd like to someday find where Gotham City is actually located.

Much Love,

Volatalistic Phil

What is the current project you are working on?

I’m working on volume two of the Flash Fiction 40+1 series.

I just released on December 15th. I’m not sure what the second installment will be titled, but I’ll know when I get there. Volume one is called Flash Fiction 40+1: New Mexican Bread Aisle. The other project I’m currently working on is the sequel to my first book, My Mind’s Abyss. The sequel will be tentatively known as MyMind’s Abyss: Relapse.

How do you define success?

I suppose that in a nutshell, and taking an Aristotelian approach to defining success; I define success as being happy. I believe to be successful it takes hard work and dedication. I think by choosing experiences in life and making the choices to take part in those experiences, determine your level of success and in turn, your happiness. If I can be successful with my goals that will bring me to these experiences I have chosen to take part in, then I could be happy. I am sometimes conflicted when trying to think of ways to be both content and happy at the same time. To put it plainly, the sky is the limit—or is it?

How do you handle rejection?

I handle rejection in the most human way possible. I wish that I could tell you that I handle it with grace, but that isn’t always the immediate case. At first, I may trample myself for a moment, but I try to look at rejection as constructive criticism. From there, I think of ways that I can approve upon the said rejection. Rejection isn’t always bad though, I suppose it just depends upon the way you perceive it and what your anticipated reaction was.

Did you always want to be a writer?

After giving this some serious thought, I think that I just wanted to be a liar. Growing up, I wanted to be a lawyer, a writer, an actor, a politician or a musician.

What inspired you to become a writer?

I hate to keep getting all philosophical, because I don’t want someone to think I’m egotistical, but fear inspired me. Thomas Hobbes wrote about fear being a motivator of people. I had this great fear, while mostly dealing with the side-effects of withdrawals from alcohol and other substance abuse, as well as emotions and everything that entails, that I was going to die. I had this fear that I was going to die and the world was never going to know that I existed. I had this fear that I was going to die and I hadn’t made any type of significant contribution to the world.

What is the best thing about being one?

Feeling like the color red in a black and white photograph.

What is the worst thing about being one?

I am truly enjoying it, but I would say the very long working hours, though a double-edged sword, and the lack of cheaper healthcare benefits.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I’m going to omit school writing projects. To the best of my ability to guess the number of writing projects that I’ve worked on, I say about eight or nine.

Who is your favorite author?

J.D. Salinger

How has your life changed since you became writer?

It has enriched and continues to enrich my life. In short, the long hours of being a writer coincide perfectly with my dwindling social life. I am learning a lot about myself and about the world through writing. I am always meeting different types of people and it is a lot of fun to interact with and learn from them. Financially, it has remained about the same. Socially, outside of my immediate stomping ground, it has been somewhat of a bump in social status. It is hard to explain, but people seem to look at me as “a writer” instead of just “a person,” especially at school. At the risk of sounding narcissistic, I feel as though I have this great responsibility to myself, my friends and family, and my community.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to be a writer?

I almost feel inadequate to answer this question, but my advice is to do it. Write about it, do not talk about it. Honest truth, I do not know if I am a good writer or not. Some people may hate my writings, and others may enjoy them, but the point is I’m doing it. I know I was probably a terrible writer growing up, though the first book I ever wrote was a tiny one about a turtle, when I was five years old. So I feel that it’s a process, and I believe that I will continue to improve. Growing up, I was in plenty of remedial English classes that followed me even into college. I am happy to be finally able to say that I am 26 years old and as of yesterday, I received my first overall term grade of an A in English 102. That may have little to say about my actual abilities as a writer, but I think it says something about writing progress and commitment to doing something.

What do you like to do besides writing?

I like to lounge around drinking coffee and observing people. I like cycling. I like playing guitar, listening to music, watching movies, reading, and taking part in good conversations. I also very much enjoy watching the television show The Walking Dead, but they have broken my heart until they return in February.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a writer?

Oh, yeah. I’ve had some jobs. I’ve been a musician, though there was mostly only free beer, food and party favors involved with that, and no money to live off of. I’ve been a security guard, a mechanic, worked at least five fast food jobs, had a newspaper route, worked at least six call center jobs involving selling insurance, mortgages, newspaper subscriptions and being technical support. I’ve owned my own clothing line that was featured in a couple of stores in town. I’ve worked at a few restaurants as a busboy, a dishwasher and a cook. I’ve worked on a farm bagging onions. I’ve worked at a bank, a couple of auto part stores, and worked as a gas station clerk. I’ve also been a dad and a boyfriend, which were two of my favorite jobs. I know there are probably other jobs I’ve worked, but I can’t remember all of them right now.

How would you describe your education?

I describe it as being similar to my job history—all over the place with periods of gaps. I’m currently in college, again, for the third time, but I’ve been going strong and some say the “third is the charm.”

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

In no particular order, American: Step Brothers, The Shawshank Redemption, Donnie Darko, Dawn of the Dead, Robocop (all), No country For Old Men, Terminator (all).

Foreign films: Y Tu Mamá También, Un Chien Andalou, Ikiru (To live, ‘90’s adaptation).

Television shows; The Walking Dead, Scrubs, My Name Is Earl, How I Met Your Mother, American Dad!

How has social media changed the publishing industry?

I think that in some ways it has taken away their drugs and they want them back. I feel like the fat cats of the publishing industry are becoming more creative and are working harder to keep their positions in the hierarchy of things. It really gives me hope that social media could possibly bridge the gap and lead to more synergy. In other ways, I think that it has served as catalyst for the publishing industry, directly or indirectly, and especially for the self-publisher.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Sometimes independent films are almost too real, removing some of the censorship, shocking you. All things considered, I think that the excellent independent film might be a result of a shortfall in an adequate budget, which inspires the ability to develop the story better and utilize all of their resources to the best of their abilities. The mainstream film industry is incredibly amazing as well. There is so much talent involved in great mainstream movies, but they also have a fantastic budget that alone could bankrupt someone with a lunch tab.

You could have any first edition book. Which book would it be and why?

The Holy Bible, so I could interpret it for myself, eliminating any bias in telling others.

Do you believe in life on other planets?

In the possibility, yes.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

“I really don't think this is the right way to start a working relationship. You got a real, a real bad attitude, lady. In fact, I don't even want your job; I don't care how much you'd pay me, 'cause I got integrity, in-fucking-tegrity. Raahh!” – SLC Punk Not in the context of selling women’s clothing, as it were like in the movie, but more so of my own integrity and unwillingness to compromise that, even in working situations.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

I enjoy them, but they must be just as good as or better than the first. The people involved must work very hard to attain this level of quality.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

I love them! I am for it!

Is there anything else you would like to add?

No. I think I’ve probably said entirely too much in this interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment