Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Author Joyce Mitchell



Joyce Mitchell is a writer/teacher and resides in LaGrange, Georgia with her husband and has two children. She is the author of four books. Her debut novel, Unheard Cries: A Marriage Horror, won a 5-star review and badge from Readers Favorite in November. Her other works include a collection of short stories, Rock Store Short Stories, and two children's books, Dink and Daisy, and Toby the Trout. She's currently working on a sequel to Unheard Cries.

She's devoted to her family and church and spends her days writing and helping underprivileged children.

To find out more about Joyce and her work, please visit www.rockstorebooks.com

Twitter @Joyce5577

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rock-Store-Books-Fans-rockstorebookscom/173380646033727

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001554756574

What is the current project you are working on?

I’m working on a sequel to Unheard Cries: A Marriage Horror, which will be out the first part of 2012.  Aside from that, I have just finished some children’s books, Dink and Daisy, and Toby the Trout.

How do you set your book apart from other books in the genre?

I think perhaps because of the details of the scenes on each page, as well as the dialogue written. Many times reading some novels I find myself not being able to “step” into the storyline because of wording that is not “real world.” I love to write about the things that affect people’s lives every day.

What inspired you to become a writer?

I suppose the desire to reveal some things that are often overlooked, as well as wanting to express my thoughts in word. Also to leave something behind for my family to better understand my inner thoughts.

What is the best thing about being a writer?

For me I think it is knowing that I have written something that might stay around for a long time, also there is a certain fulfillment of accomplishment. Also to see someone that was inspired by something I may have written to help them is the most rewarding of all.

What is the worst thing about being one?

For me in the beginning it was learning the “ropes” as far as what will work on paper, as well as the hardships of publishing and marketing of my books.

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

Don’t give up, be ready for challenges that are ahead and by all means always speak from the heart on the pages - readers can relate to heartfelt words.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

About seven or eight to date.

What do you like to do besides writing?

I love reading, homemaking, working in my church, and enjoying my family.

Who is your favorite author?

My favorite author is Karen Kingsbury because she’s a powerful Christian fiction writer.




Some of my favorite books are the Bible, Every Now & Then by Karen Kingsbury, and The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls (similar to my life).

How would you describe the writing “scene” where you live?

I’ve done my work as well as received most of my inspiration sitting in a black leather desk chair in a large “sunroom” with lots of windows at my home in semi-rural Georgia.  Most of the time I write listening to music, drinking black coffee, watching squirrels and birds around the oak trees.

How has social media changed the publishing industry?

I think social media has made some major changes in the industry, in that it has made it more possible (I hesitate to say easier) for independent authors, self- published authors, etc. to reach out and find potential readers on the web. Of course, as more and more authors jump into the social media scene, that means that one's voice or work can get crowded out in the mass of authors unless one does a really good job of targeting people who might be interested in one's work. However, I still think social media makes that locating and targeting one's audience much more possible.

What is your thought process like when you’re writing?

First of all, starting early in the morning is the key to writing, hopefully before it gets all noisy around the house.  When writing Unheard Cries: A Marriage Horror, I didn’t have an outline.  I knew the characters and I wrote mostly about incidents from my daily life, or from some of the haunting childhood memories.  All the thoughts were in my head, remembered just like it was yesterday and it was a relief to get it all on paper.

It was different with my children’s books - I had a brainstorm, started typing, let my imagination run wild (talking flowers and fish) and then I’d laugh at myself, wondering where that came from.

You could have any super power.  What would it be?

If I could have a super power, I’d like for it to be a power to heal our people and our land.




Do you believe in life on other planets?

No, I have no reason to even wonder about it.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptations?

I love movies and I love books, so I'm always excited to see a movie coming that adapts a loved book. Having said that though, I usually keep my expectations low so as not to be disappointed. I've rarely seen a movie as good as the book.  Several of Jane Austen's novels were adapted to the screen pretty well. From what I've read many authors who have their books adapted to a movie usually have at least some complaints. However, if after writing a book and someone was interested in adapting it to a movie, then I'd certainly be willing to check out the possibilities.

If you could have any first addition book.  Which would it be and why?

I would like to have had the very first Bible ever printed (King James Version) because this book has been my guide over my life, and the most wisdom-filled book ever written.

No comments:

Post a Comment