Sunday, December 4, 2011

Filmmaker Joe Davison


Joe Davison was born in Zephyrhills Florida on November, 14th 1975. Joe left the small town of New Port Richey and moved to Tampa, Florida in 1996. There he performed Improv comedy with several other comedians. With them he started "Beat the Dead Horse," a rogue Improvisational comedy troupe that played local comedy clubs and bars. In April of 2003 Joe moved to England with his wife Jori, there he worked closely with the Cambridge Film Makers Network and produced four short films and created an everlasting friendship with Carl Homer, a renowned composer. Joe moved back to Tampa in 2005 and started the Tampa Film Network (with fellow film maker Chris Woods), and his production company Pop Gun Pictures. The Tampa Film Network is a community organization to help independent film makers achieve their goals by providing them with connections to equipment, cast, crew, and locations.

What is the current project you are working on?

Currently I'm working a few projects. First, is Dead Buzz, written and directed by Johnny Brajdic, a very different take on the zombie apocalypse. It's a pilot episode for a series we want to do titled “The Dark Hours”. It'll be very Ray Bradbury and Twilight Zoney. Each episode will be  a stand alone. We haven't really toyed with the idea of having reoccurring characters just yet. Second, is Journey into Hell, a 1950s styled crime noir horror film. Think The Thing meets Maltese Falcon. It's a groovy piece for sure. Plenty of scares, blood, and action. Journey stars Alex Vincent [Childs Play], Clint Glenn [Flesh Keepers, The Quick and the Undead], and Deneen Melody [Slices of Life, Western X]. Then theres a few short films I'm producing locally. And a music video I'm directing.


Is a sequel planned for "As Night Falls"?

Originally there was a ending that was going to lead up to a part two. But, with budget constraints we had to cut it down to like three shots. So it really just seems silly. But, maybe we can bring the gang back. I wanted to have Lily Cardone character [Holy Croft] dragged to hell at the end of the film and Elizabeth [Deneen Melody], Otto [Dwight Cenac], and Charlie [Myself] go in after her. The premise was to fight through demons to get our sister back. This still might happen maybe. We'll see.

How do you measure success?

Gradually. With each new film I achieve I try and learn from it. I'm always making mistakes that I can learn from. In the beginning they were quiet substantial mistakes. Not so much any more. Simple, little mistakes. And as I progress through the learning curve I always find that I'm enjoying it. But, I measure it with the amount of crew I work with. It's always the same group. They are always there for me. Us. They're there for us and the project.

How do you handle rejection?

Listen, I grew up as fat kid. So, getting rejected happened a lot!! When you're making a film rejection is easy. If some one says no. Then so be it. You move on. It's when they say yes and hand you a check does it really start to become troublesome. Yes means, oh shit now we have to work and prove ourselves to this guy. When it comes to rejection I would prefer a flat out no we're not interested instead of a three week or three month drag a long while some one thinks about investing or continues to make insane request. Brokers are the worst. “So, you need 2 million, Well, get us 200 thousand and we can get you 2 million!” If I had 200 thousand I'd just shoot the damn movie. Some people just don't understand the need and want to make a film.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

No. I wanted to be a comic book artist. I wanted to draw for Marvel or DC or Darkhorse or Image or anyone. I would draw all day long. Pages and pages of comic stuff. Unfortunately back in my day it wasn't a 10th of as cool as it is today to  be a geek. I was always drawing Silver Surfer or Spider Man or Wolverine or The Ninja Turtles. Anything and everything I could. I remember once I wasn't allowed to enter into a school wide art festival because my art teacher thought I traced all of my pictures. Douche. LOL! But, with directing I can draw my own story boards and that's huge plus for me. I love to put the concept to page in comic fashion.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

I was reading comics and watching horror films on the weekends with my buddy Todd Brown, and he and I would draw some wicked stuff. But, I didn't get into film making in 1996ish. That was two years after I graduated high school. I met this guy who was doing improv and I started doing improv comedy on the weekends. That lead to acting, the acting lead to film. I eventually began taking my scripts and putting them to picture. Now, my art work was in motion. With actors that is. I had also been writing all my life. Since I was in like fifth grade. I use to write little short stories for my mother. Mostly about Vampires and Werewolves. No. Mine didn't sparkle. I just want to tell stories in any medium and hope the the reader or viewer is interested in what story I'm telling.

What is the best thing about being one?

I love film making. Being a producer is such a rewarding experience some times. Other times you want to slam your face into a rack of rusty kitchen knives, but that comes with any business I guess. I would have to say the best thing about being a film maker is dedicating you life to art and hard work. If you don't mind getting muddy and bloody sometimes this is the job for you! I can't think of anything else I would rather do. I can't do anything else. I don't know anything else. I barely know how to do this. LOL!

What is the worst thing about being one?

Broken friendships. You lose a lot of friends making films. Egos can crush you as well as everyone you love. So, I try really hard not to have an ego. So, I try helping everyone I can who is working on a project. I want everyone to have change to succeed and make the best project they can make. I feel bad because some of the guys I really want to work with I can't quite afford just yet on some projects. So, you can't bring them on because you can't pay them enough. And everyone deserves to get paid what they're worth. No matter what they do for a living.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

Man, somewhere around fifty, I think. Between, commercials, sketches, short films, features, and music videos. I've never really tallied them all up. I just keep my head down and working hard.

Who is your favorite filmmaker?

Kevin Smith. He has built up a Smuniverse between his movies, touring talk shows, and smod cast he really knows how to bring in his audience and he can identify with them. He doesn't mind being self deprecating. And he's a great film maker. Not all his films are block busters but he never started out to be the next Brian De Palma. Now, for a guy who makes mostly horror film I understand that Kevin Smith is a far reach for me but he has a continuous track record on an independent level. He knows his audience and enjoys his own films. Now, I'm a fan of Sam Raimi, Peter Jackson, James Gunn, and of course guys like Richard Donner, Ridley Scott, Stanly Kubrick, Gore Vorbinski and Wayne Kramer. [These larger then life action guys] But, Kevin Smith could have his own amusement park based on his world.


How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

I'm busier more now then ever and that's a good thing. But, not much has changed. Still have to walk the dogs, Hunter and Lucky. Hunter is a lab and Lucky is a Beagle. And I still have to make sure the wife is happy. But now I can go to work and watch actors get covered in blood all day or I can story board the afternoon away. I never really have a day off. I might actually get to go on a cruise soon, but that's to shoot a horror film on boat. So, it's  really a vacation.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Work hard. If you've never made a film get in with the local film community and help out there first. In Tampa Chris Woods and Myself founded the Tampa Film Network about six years ago. An online community that helps lndie film makers find tools, equipment, locations, directors, producers, and actors for their projects. Now, it's run by Dan Brienza and has about 1700 members from the bay area. Find one of these networks and start on the ground floor. If there isn't one create it. Www.tampafilmnetwork.com


What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

Video games. A lot of video games. If I'm not working on a novel, script, or film 'which is rare' I just want to go kill something and veg out for hours. I actually have a video game concept in the works. It's an RPG first person shooter. Just a huge open campaign. I really want to meet the right people to get that off the ground.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

Well, even as I was making films I was waiting tables at Chili's, or T.G.I. Friday's, or [insert name here]. I got fired a lot because I was willing to shoot all night and not give up on film. I had a manager once tell me “Why don't you give up this film making nonsense and just work here? You'll never reach Hollywood.” I guess at this point she's right but I can't help but abuse myself and risk everything all the time.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

Hmmmm... well, American Werewolf in London should cover all that. American Beauty? Born in East L.A.? Captain America?! No. Just kidding man! The Thing is one of my all time favorite movies ever. Jaws. Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Now would “The Professional” be considered American or Foreign? Evil Dead. The Legend of Duey Cox. Long Kiss Goodnight. So many.

Foreign is a little tougher. District 13. Let the right on in. A Better Tomorrow. The Host.

T.V.; Modern Family. Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Tales from the Dark Side. The X-Files. Ghost Hunters. Destination Truth. River Monsters. Ancient Aliens. Anything on the history or discovery channel or Food Network.

How would you describe your film education?

Nonexistent. I learned on set. Honestly. When we started making films there really wasn't schools for it. Sure, you could try and get into UCLA or The New York Film Academy or NYU for film but for a guy like me from Ocala, FL with no knowledge of film making? That wasn't going to happen. So, we just started doing it ourselves. Shooting on old VHS recorders and editing VCR to VCR. Now there are Canon 5d Mark twos and T2i's and 7ds out there. You can shoot a feature in about two weeks. I've done it. Twice! In the beginning I learned the hard way. Just like when we were doing improv.  It was all hands on. But it was the need to know. I wanted all the knowledge I could get. I read a lot of film making books, those don't help. Impractical solutions written by guys who never made a film. It just took me going to every short film shoot I could find and being a slave for weekend. I wish I could have gone to Full Sail University or NYU for sure. But, now I get to teach the kids coming out of there, who are all talented the old ways. It's funny to see the look on their faces sometimes. “What do you mean you didn't use an iPad to regulate your lights?”


How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

In Tampa Bay Area its awesome! With the community out reach system like The Tampa Film Network, recently changed to the Florida Film Network because we have over 1700 members. We have a weekend film school and teach everything from script writing to lighting. We bring in A-Listers to teach things like Cinematography and Directing. Recently we have combined our efforts with Indian film community and are now trying to connect a nice bridge between the two communities. We're really want to help them bring Bollywood into Florida.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

It's made the indie-stream into a river that's for sure. Now it's even more easier to get noticed. The use of ipads and other digital devices that can access the internet at a moments notice has allowed many independent film makers to take advantage of resources such as Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, and various other media sites. Promotion has almost doubled with the use of Facebook pages, likes, Fan Pages, event planning, and the ability to purchase ad space directly on Facebook. Other sites like Flicklaunch has dedicated themselves to distributing films directly on line. If the proper film distribution site comes along it could do for the indie film maker what iTunes did for the garage band.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

Indie go-go comes to mind. I haven't really tried the crowdfunding aspect. I did a small video to help raise money for a book series about two years ago and it never reached its goal. I haven't been back to try again since. I think that it is an obvious solution to many companies, events, charities, and independent films. Using a cross marketing scheme in association with Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter crowdfunding can help us little guys successfully raise enough funds to complete indie feature films. Me personally, I like to sit down with one or two investors and plead my case for funding. I like to know our investors. I want them to know me. I want them to know that I'm going to work as hard as I can and do as much as possible to create the best product I can. And that I will give them a return in the future.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Independent and mainstream only differ in budget size. Each offer quality film makers, actors, producers, and directors. The only difference is funding. Mainstream Hollywood will produced a 40 million film where as an indie film maker will produce a 40 thousand feature film, with less equipment, cast, and crew, but the heart is there. I feel that in both cases it's all heart.


You could go back in time and see any film being made. Which film would it be and why?

Goonies! For sure! I would love to see all these young actors working together on a giant adventure. Pirate ships, and gangsters! I would want to learn from Spielberg and be there first hand to watch the producing side of things. Organizing the ship and the water slide sets and that giant octopus. I would turn the thing into a study hall for myself.


What's your favorite movie quote and why?

When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."- Jack Burton, Big Trouble in Little China.

First of all. I love Big Trouble in Little China. It's a fast witted action fantasy with flying ninjas, gods of elements, Lo Pan, and two girls with green eyes. It's amazing and Kurt Russell was in his prime. Simply amazing. I wish they would have had made a part 2. I swear one day I get a pork chop express tattoo. Also, there was the geeky fan boy rumor going around that Jack Burton was a Brown Coat, you know? From Bukaroo Banzai. And I always wanted to see a movie where Bukaroo and his gang met up with Jack Burton and they battled some crazy 30 foot tall monster. And for those kids out there reading this and you've never seen either of those films go out and rent them or better yet buy them. You will watch them over and over again. Trust me!


What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

Sequels yes. Die Hard series, Mission Impossible, Sherlock Holmes, Iron Man, are all okay.  Remakes no. I mean they just did a re-imagining of Spider Man and it's not even cold yet. Sam Raimi did a great job with the films. Regardless of what happen between him and the studios. But, to just go out and make another one shortly after the last one with a new cast and crew is ridiculous! Then they remake Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm St, The Hills Have Eyes, and every frigin' foreign film to hit the market! And for the most part poorly. I mean why remakes? Because they know there's a built in audience and they need a positive cash cow for the summer. But it take some one like Peter Jackson four studios turn downs to get Lord of the Rings made.


What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

Comic Book movies don't count so sometimes yes. But, mostly no. Time Line was the worst movie adaption there is. I love the book. It was awesome. But the movie sucks so bad and it's a Richard Donner film. I mean WTF mate? And The Stand was a horrible adaption as well. But then there's Green Mile, extremely well executed. Harry Potter is a prime example of proper movie adaptions. Yes, they don't have everything in the films and they add a little for the movie but they're about spot on for the most part. The Jurassic Park series was interesting. This part was in the second book but first film, but this part was in the first book second film. I understand that sometimes they take the best of all of it and try to make one movie because they assume that's all they're gonna get. Until that film breaks box office records and they decide to another film. -see above question- [he laughs].

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Thank you so much for the opportunity and I had a blast.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks so much for doing the interview Joe. I saw "As Night Falls" and think it's awesome. I hope there is a sequel.  I also love  "Big Trouble in Little China". I will be renting "Bukaroo Banzai" in the near future. You should check out the book "Three Weeks With The Goonies".

No comments:

Post a Comment