Thursday, July 28, 2011

Actress/Writer Shannon Carter



This fiery redhead is no stranger to the film scene. With acting credits such as "The Social Network", "Bride Wars", "Surrogates", "The Invention of Lying", and "What's Your Number" this actress is a starlet on the rise! Since an early age, Shannon has shown a strong passion for acting. She began mimicking films and TV commericals at the tenger age of three. Throughout her childhood, whenever aske...d what she wanted to be when she grew up, she would reply with the same answer "an actress"!

Her first acting gig came when she was just in high school. She auditioned for the play "Bus Stop" that was being put on by a local community theater. It was her first audition and not only did she get the part but she was the first to be cast! By far the youngest cast member, Shannon was able to learn the ropes and seek advice from her adult co-stars. After "Bus Stop" she then starred in two student films, "The Keeping" and "Still" where she played the female lead in both. Soon after, the film industry in Boston exploded. Shannon was getting work left and right on major Hollywood films. She was specifically sought out to be cast in the "Social Network" as a final club girl and as the Renaissance Bride in "What's Your Number". Some of the actors and directors Shannon has worked with include Anne Hathaway, Kate Hudson, Jesse Eisenberg, Jennifer Garner, Anna Faris, Chris Evans, Ricky Gervais, Kevin James, the late Gary Warnick and David Fincher.

In 2008 Shannon teamed up with director Jessica Cook and her independent film company Astropiano Films. Cook cast her as the lead in her debut film "Sunblocked" which Shannon would ultimately produce and head marketing and promotions. Shannon joined Cook and the rest of the cast and crew on the red carpet for its Harvard Square premiere. The film was a success with premiere tickets selling out in less than two weeks. That spring "Sunblocked" embarked on a New England tour showing at venues such as UNH, The Historic Hawthorne Hotel in Salem, Ma, and Connecticut College. The film is now prepping for film festivals. Currently, Shannon is producing a new film for Astropiano Films titled "Mark of the Dog Rose" which she will also star in.

Not only a talented actress, Shannon is also a gifted writer. She wrote the screenplay for "Mark of the Dog Rose" in less than two months in what would take most writers a year. In her spare time Shannon does a little modeling, haven struck poses for photographers and companies including Sarah Borten of "My Big Hair Day" , wedding dress designer Michael McDonald, and the Frances Ray Jules Salon to name a few. For "Bride Wars" Shannon appeared alongside Anne Hathaway and Kate Hudson in numerous major magazines including People and Entertainment Weekly, as well as newspapers including The New York Times, USA Today and the Boston Globe. With a budding career on the rise, this young actress is on her way to Hollywood stardom

What is the current project you are working on?

"Mark of the Dog Rose"

Did you always want to be a filmmaker/actress?

Yes, I have wanted to be an actress for as long as I can remember. Since I was three-years-old, I would mimic TV commercials and movies.

What inspired you to become filmmaker/actress?

I think what really inspired me were movies in general. I love movies! I get so lost in the story plot and wish I was there. Actors can go places and do things in films that you can't do in real life. It's like magic. I also had a love for the camera growing up (laughing). I pretty much dominate the family home movies.

What is the best thing about being one?

Seeing yourself on the big screen! Its surreal! Also, just being on set and having fun with everyone.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Acting is fun, but it's a lot of work too. I don't think people realize how much work really goes into making a film. A thirty second scene can take 12 hours to film, its exhausting.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I have worked on 8 full-length feature films, but about 15 film projects in total.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

Oh gosh, I don't think I really have a favorite. I definitely like Peter Jackson and Tim Burton. I think they both have such beautiful and creative methods for directing and when you watch their films you know they directed it.

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker/actress?

I have gained so much experience and still cannot believe some of the big names I have worked with. It's pretty cool when someone mentions a famous actor or director and I can say "oh yeah I worked with him/her". I was also recognized a couple of times for being in "Bride Wars" and the "Social Network", which I was totally taken aback by.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?

Don't give up or be discouraged, just keep at it!

What do you like to do besides filmmaking/acting?

I love reading! There is nothing more relaxing than snuggling up with a good book. I'm also a big fan of traveling and have been to a bunch of really cool places. My favorite was London. I really enjoy writing too and cannot believe my first screenplay "Mark of the Dog Rose" is going to be brought to life.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker/actress?

Oh yes and I still do. Saddly, it takes quite a bit of time and luck to be able to reach the point where you can do filmmaking as your full-time job.

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

I have so many favorite films it's really hard to name just a few. For TV shows I love Dexter, Law & Order SVU, True Blood and Family Guy.

How would you describe your film education?

When I was in high school I took a few acting classes on weekends in Boston, but I think most of my education really came from first hand experience being on sets.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Boston has come a long way and is really coming into its own as major film community. Not only do we have numerous Hollywood productions being filmed here, but we have a fantastic indie film scene. There is a lot of talent here and I think it is only a matter of time before the rest of the world takes notice.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

Social media makes it so much easier to promote your projects. It's free and has the potential to reach a wide market. I am on Facebook ten times a day working on film related stuff and I know other fimmakers who are too. I personally don't really use Twitter but I know filmmakers/actors who are on there quite often promoting their work.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

I think it is a great method for fundraising. We got a good chunk of our budget from Kickstrater in addition to our fundraiser we held back in the spring. Ask any filmmaker and they will tell how important fundraising is. Movies cost a lot of money and no matter how much you raise you can always use more. Crowdfuning sites are great because aside from promoting, they are really a low maintenance way to raise funds and filmmakers usually have enough on their plate with pre-production work so its a huge help!

What is the casting process like?

Every audition is different. Usually you will be given some lines and you act them out for a table of casting directors and a camera. For "Surrogates" we worked with one of the stunt coordinators for the film. They had mats all over the floors and auditioned us in small groups. It was really fun.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

The biggest difference is that independent films usually have very small budgets. They work with little to no money and to be able to make a film on that is an amazing accomplishment. I also think indie filmmakers aren't afraid to take risks, because they aren't worrying if their film will top the box office.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

The Wizard of Oz. It was one of my favorite movies growing up. The set was beautiful and the costumes amazing.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

I love Joan Cusacs' monologue at the end of "The Adams Family Values". It was awesome! I have used it for a couple of auditions before.

What is your opinion on movie remakes and sequels?

I hate remakes for the most part, because I feel that a lot of Hollywood filmmakers will try to go for shock value or just sign on a big name instead of focusing on making it a good unique film. They almost never do the original film justice. Sequels can go either way. Some sequels are awful and unnecessary, but others turn out better than the first film.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

If the director does it right and sticks to the book than I am a huge fan. I love reading and there are so many times where I find myself saying "This should be a movie". Most of my favorite films where books before they were films.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Thank you John for taking the time to interview us! Please check out the "Mark of the Dog Rose" Facebook page and I actually now have an actress Facebook page as well (www.facebook.com/shannoncarteractress). You can also follow "Mark of the Dog Rose" on Twitter. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. I am so lucky to meet Shannon. She is truly very caring and meticulous at anything she does. I am proud to work with Shannon because she has a very humanistic way of showing life on film. What a great team Shannon Carter and Jessica Cook are. I can't wait to get started and watch this full feature film "Mark of the Dog Rose" unfold. Everyone from Cast, Crew, and Friends are anticipating a great film to be made. Truly an experience to remember.--
    John Lindsey

    ReplyDelete