Thursday, July 28, 2011

Producer Leslie Wimmer Osborne

 

 

Leslie Wimmer Osborne is co-president of Conspicuous Pictures and works in Special Programming for Paramount Pictures. She has produced the indie thriller FAVOR – currently in post-production and written and directed by her husband, Paul Osborne - and the acclaimed documentary OFFICIAL REJECTION about the film festival circuit. She is also developing television content for Conspicuous Pictures.

In her spare time, Leslie enjoys skeet shooting, training ferrets as covert military assassins and baking.

What is the current project you are working on?

Just wrapped filming on our independent feature FAVOR and am gearing up for post-production. Also starting to pitch some television programming ideas.

What is it like to work with your spouse?

I really enjoy working with Paul. He is very intelligent and creative, and has a specific point of view which makes his films interesting. Plus he's a funny guy so he's always making me laugh. And he gives good back rubs.

How do you balance being a mom and being a producer?

By accepting that sleep is something I don't get much of these days! Also, I try to maintain boundaries. When I'm working, I give 100% of my attention to that; and my kid gets 100% of me when it's his time. I think being able to fully focus on what I'm doing at the time enhances all aspects of my life.

Did you always want to be a producer?

No, I started out wanting to...wait for it...ACT. I did plays and musicals as a child and went to school to study acting. It wasn't until I started working for a studio out of college that I realized I am a detail-oriented person who has a knack for organization. What I like about producing is that it's a good mix of the creative and the organizational. Plus I like being in-charge!

What inspired you to become producer?

Necessity. There were projects I became aware of that interested me so I took over the producing responsibilities in order to facilitate them getting made.

What is the best thing about being one?

Getting things done! I've always been the type of person who likes making lists and crossing off tasks, so I enjoy the sense of accomplishment. Also, assembling and working with a team of creative people who share a collective passion on a project.

What is the worst thing about being one?

Having to ride and sometimes let go of folks who aren't upholding their responsibilities.

Who is  your favorite filmmaker?

I don't have a favorite filmmaker per se but I do tend to be drawn to a specific type of film. I really enjoy the smaller or off-kilter films which have an 'indie' feel to them - even if they are a studio release. For instance, I love Mike Nichols' THE GRADUATE; or Hal Ashby's HAROLD & MAUDE; or Jason Reitman because of JUNO and UP IN THE AIR. I'm also drawn to foreign cinema because it tends to be very character-driven, like A MAN AND A WOMAN by Claude Lelouch or JESUS OF MONTREAL by Denys Arcand.

How has your life changed since you became a producer? 

It's definitely become busier. But in a fulfilling way. I also have to sign a lot more stuff now.

What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants tomake it in the movie business?

Don't wait around for someone to hand it to you because that rarely happens. Go out, do it yourself and make it happen!

What do you like to do besides producing?

Sleep....

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

I've already mentioned some of my favorite American and foreign films. My favorite TV shows currently are COMMUNITY, MODERN FAMILY, COUGAR TOWN and 30 ROCK - again with the 'off-beat' sense of humor. (Plus, I want Tina Fey to be my best friend.) I'm also addicted to reality TV - anything ranging from PROJECT RUNWAY to THE BACHELOR to HOUSE HUNTERS INTERNATIONAL. Love love love it!

How would you describe your film education?

Expensive (I went to USC).

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

I live in Burbank which is as 'scene-y' as you can get. Most of the major studios in LA are there, as well as many, many production companies. I live down the street from THE TONIGHT SHOW.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

It's provided a free marketing platform that reaches a wider audience than previous tactics could. Or put more plainly, it's turned us indie filmmakers into bigger whores.

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

I think it's a terrific new resource that supports the arts at the most fundamental level. People can contribute to see the art they want made. Or contribute to make the art they want to see. Sheer brilliance.

What is the casting process like?

Although it can be tedious watching the same scene over and over, it's exciting when a performer takes a character somewhere unexpected and makes them a living entity. I find it inspiring.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

Moulah. Or lack thereof.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

XANADU.

It's my favorite film of all-time and I wanted to be Olivia Newton-John in the early 80's. I still kind of do, actually.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

"No representation without taxation" - Capt. Hilts (Steve McQueen) from THE GREAT ESCAPE. Hilts is so drunk he misquotes the saying.

What is your opinion on movie remakes?

Generally not a fan.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

Thumbs up.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

Yes. Tina Fey, I was serious about the BFF thing. Call me!

 

 

 

 

Thanks for doing the interview Leslie.  I loved "Official Rejection". I hope to see "Favor"  when it is at a festival near me and/or on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment