Sunday, July 24, 2011

Interview With David J. Miller













What is the current project you are working on?








I'm currently working on several projects. I'm on hiatus for my web series ASSISTED LIVING which just finished season 6 and 63 episodes but I'm writing and developing new episodes for the fall. I'm also wrapping up writing for a few episodes of a network sit-coms that hopefully will be green lit. Season 2 of another web series I'm the writer/director for, HEY GIRL is finishing up and will be released in August. Between my own narrative projects I'm working on a variety of other projects for Mimi Productions and other companies. My newest project is a hybrid web series and television project. Each episode will be ten and a half minutes which will allow us to put them on TV and the web. It's a comedy and features some of the best talents in Chicago from venues like Second City and iO.

Did you always want to be a filmmaker?

I began essentially "Producing" films when I was 12. A very creative friend was making super8 movies and I was tagging along. He wasn't the most organized so I helped plan all of his ambitious efforts. We became partners and wanted to make feature films. We shot a feature film in high school that was very funny but for the wrong reasons. The production value was solid though and a great primer for our future projects. After high school we developed a script and worked for a few years to try to raise the money, but struggled without rich friends and family it took a while. We shifted gears and I produced a low budget feature instead called THE RIDE. It was critically praised and showed at film festivals. I continued producing and working with other writer/directors for the next nine feature films. While I've enjoyed producing, my creative desires built when I was able to co-write two features and see them on the big screen. It motivated me to shift focus to the creative side writing and directing.

What inspired you to become filmmaker?

I gradually became inspired, but knew I would be in entertainment before graduating high school. As a producer, my partners always helped me feel equally involved in each project. When I started to transition to the creative side, writing and directing I really was hooked.

What is the best thing about being one?

My favorite part of being a filmmaker is that every project is different. Each day is different and the positives far outweigh the negatives. It's great to see a project you created on the big screen or the small screen or the really small screen. I love to examine what I would do differently which has helped me learn, especially on the writing side. On the production side I know how to produce a nice looking project but my work for the web doesn't have the most amazing production value, in part because I've taken on more roles as a result of the low budgets. I've become a pretty good shooter and gaffer as well as a mediocre sound recordist and production designer. I'm still learning and that's a rush. My relationships with actors has come full circle to the point where I think it is a strength of mine now, though it hasn't always been. I was shy growing up and it's taken a lot of time to fully come out of my shell and filmmaking is the reason why.

What is the worst thing about being one?

The wait between projects is sometimes frustrating. I'm a workaholic and a filmmaker full time. I love working on web series between features because the budgets are so low that I can do them even if there are not investors attached. The reliance on the feature film level in distribution on execs with a narrow formula on what is worthy of distribution is also a frustration of mine though I respect the challenges that distributors face and the need to have "name" actors onboard to sell a project. As a filmmaker you think every project is going to be great and make a lot of money. When a project is not successful and you can't give an investor a lucrative return on their investment it's not a good feeling. On the feature level, it's frustrating when you try to help a writer/director and they don't want to take your advice or suggestions to make the film better. It's their dream to see their film made their way but early on they often don't have experience that they need.

What is the estimated number of projects you have worked on?

I've produced nine feature films and was a co-writer on two of them. None of them were hits though out of the five that had distribution we had a couple nice successes. I've had success with webseries producing, writing and directing about 150 total narrative episodes. I've written and directed 63 episodes and counting of ASSISTED LIVING plus about a dozen bonus videos and three other shows. As vice-president of Mimi Productions we've created over sixty episodes of an unscripted TV show THE MERGE which airs nationwide on JCTV and NRB. We also do commercials, industrials, and web videos for commercial clients. I'm also working on two new feature films, though it's too early to get specific.

Who is is your favorite filmmaker?

Charles "Chip" Purdy III

How has your life changed since you became a filmmaker?

I've always been a filmmaker so the changes in my life aren't necessarily a result of film. (I was going to make a joke about hair growing in certain places since I started in film at 12 and how in recent years I've lost hair in other places.) I can reflect on how filmmaking has changed since I began. The growth of web video and access to inexpensive equipment has created a lot of opportunity but also added a lot of competition. I consider myself a writer first, over other aspects of filmmaking which has changed in recent years.








What is one piece of advice you can give to someone who also wants to make it in the movie business?







Networking and promotion is just as important as talent as a filmmaker. Find the type of films that you not only want to make but also what you are strong at thinking of what the audience might be. Find a partner who compliments your skill set so you can grow together. There's no one right way to do anything so creativity plays a huge role, not only in your film but also in how it gets noticed. If you make a film and can't get distribution, cut it up and distribute it as a web series. If a tv network or studio won't hear your pitches because you don't have a track record or an agent look for other ways to get noticed. If you're developing a project and it's taking a long time for it to get off the ground, put a time limit to keep your expectations in perspective. If you're getting a lot of rejections it might be that your project is not as ready as you think it is. If you're a writer, write multiple scripts. If you don't have friends with deep pockets develop projects that are more affordable. It's very tough to raise large sums money so know what you're up against and make decisions accordingly.

What do you like to do besides filmmaking?

Since most of my writing lately is comedic i'm finding myself enjoying watching comedy live or recorded. I enjoy working around the house and loved rehabbing my home with my wife Michelle. I like watching some sports and was at Wrigley Field when the Cubs were five outs away from going to the World Series. My appreciation and love for animals is growing and while I like to travel I don't get around much.

Have you had any other jobs before you decided to become a filmmaker?

I did have typical high school jobs like Mc Donalds and later as an AV Tech and Pizza Delivery Driver. I'm pretty much full time in entertainment for the last dozen years other than a few side gigs but earnings fluctuate so we live modestly by some standards (though that's going to change when my next movie drops)

What are some of your favorite American films? Foreign films? Television shows?

My favorite American fim growing up was Raiders of the Lost Arc and later Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Goodfellas, Dazed and Confused and a few other mainstream hits. I was a fan of Dumb and Dumber though I don't like most of Jim Carey's movies. Does Star Wars count as a foreign film? I don't search for foreign films but there a few that I like but nothing worth mentioning. I like most HBO and Showtime episodic shows like Curb Your Enthusiasm, Entourage, Weeds and Boardwalk Empire that stars Michael Shannon who was in my first feature THE RIDE.

How would you describe your film education?

I learned a lot by going out and experimenting. I took a few semesters at Columbia College in Chicago. I think film school is a great place to network and meet people with similar goals. I recommend a film student go to school close to where you want to live. Don't go to NYU if your going to move to LA right after you graduate. Just an opinion.

How would you describe the film "scene" where you live?

Chicago is a great place to produce film. It's a tougher place to work on Hollywood Films that come through town but there are enough indies to keep you busy during most of the year. As an aside, I am extremely motivated to get a projects started and hopefully finished before the dead of winter. It's just not as easy to film in the dead of winter but

while some people do it, I'm not one of them. I used to travel back and forth to LA more frequently and even had an apartment there but gave it up ten years ago when I got married and don't regret it. I network a lot via the web so in that sense my film scene is not defined by a map.

How has social media changed the independent film industry?

I haven't embraced social media for crowd funding but definitely for distribution and promotion. I get paid for my web series ASSISTED LIVING from advertising before each episode so the more views I get the more I get paid. Social media, blogs and the web in general help to account for a significant amount of income for me so I love it!

What's your opinion on crowdfunding?

I'm a big fan of it for people it works for but haven't used it for my projects yet. I probably will at some point but it will most likely be on a co-production with someone so we can reach out to a larger base.

What is the casting process like?

My casting varies depending on the project but I often spend more time with potential actors when they come in, often a half hour or more because even if I don't use someone in one role they might be good for another role. I also write projects with specific actors in mind and place a huge importance on personality. I try to get a sense of commitment and reliability as projects occasionally take longer to film than expected.

How does independent film differ from the mainstream?

I'm getting tired so if you really want the answer to this question you'll have to buy my book "Filmmaking for Trust Fund Babies" available on Amazon 2012.

You could go back in time and see any classic film being made. Which film would it be and why?

Not sure but probably something with a lot of titties in it. Just being honest.

What's your favorite movie quote and why?

My wife's favorite movie quote is from Empire Strikes Back. I'm not a movie quote guy.

You could have any super power. What would it be?

I would be a super bowler so I could rake in the cash on the Pro Bowlers Tour, watch myself on ESPN4 and hang out with the bowling groupies.

Have you seen Big Foot?

I think it would be cool to give three filmmakers ten million dollars to make a movie based on the same story idea and then release them in theaters with the same title and the audience not knowing which one they're gonna get. It would be an interesting gimmick the first time, especially if the movies were good but in different ways.

What is your opinion on movie remakes?

A good movie is a good movie. I think there should be a time limit between re-boots but I'll give the new Superman a pass because they're filming in Chicago.

What is your opinion on book to movie adaptions?

I don't read enough books to have a meaningful comment, but in high school I always liked it when I could watch an adaptation rather than reading the book. I'm told I have ADHD so maybe that's the reason that reading isn't as entertaining for me but I have a lot of respect for people who read for entertainment and I would definitely make my kids read every night when they're young.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

If you have cash and want to make a movie call me! If you have less cash and want to make a web series call me! If you're a hot girl and want to act in a movie or web series call me! If you're ugly and don't have any cash email me!

Follow me on Twitter @AssistedLiving1 and like me at facebook.com/AssistedLivingTV or personally at Facebook.com/Mindlight


Thanks for doing the interview Dave.  I will be spreading the word about "Assisted Living".  


No comments:

Post a Comment